What is the "REAL" Reason no US Organization?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
What is the "real" reason that the players don't have a National Organization? The way the US is being treated by most of the other countries and their promoters we sure could use our own National Organization…like NOW.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the "real" reason that the players don't have a National Organization? The way the US is being treated by most of the other countries and their promoters we sure could use our own National Organization…like NOW.

since whenever pple dont like something they work to change it, you'd have to conclude that the US pro players like things exactly the way they are now.

brian

chris_williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as why not. There are many reasons.
I can say that Mark Griffin and the staff at CSI are trying to organize the US pros through the USAPL. I urge everyone to get on board with them. www.playusapool.com

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Money, money, money.

MONEY!

Money, money, money.

MONEY!

dam right, the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is MONEY

There is plenty running around, just no one wants to get together....I'll take my Pie but you can't have a slice, go bake your own.

This is the motto of most major pool organizations imop that goes for big cue companies to the APA amongst others.

I said awhile back if all major companies get together solid, they could get 5million

5,000,000= ONE HUNDRED 50k dollar added tournaments across the country

Thats TWO 50k$ added tournaments a week.

Think about it,
Grey Ghost

Can't no one tell me that would be hard for all those companies to do, cutek sells what a million cues+ a year? There are what 500k league players? The money Brunswick makes? They take from the pool players, and the players are basically supporting each other, getting basically nothing in return. I think its a shame that tho I work hard out here, most of the time I have nothing to do...and I make more than everyone of the professionals on the money list except the top 4-6 this year depending on how they end up in another month. Its a crying shame.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
greed, plain and simple. Not enough money to get the players paid what they deserve and to support someone intelligent enough to get the organization off and running. You need someone with their own wealth that loves pool and has integrity to run it. I wish I was wealthy enough to do so. Sadly, the world has a lot of wealthy people that just don't like pool or who are flat out too greedy to enjoy someone else's success.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We haven't created one for them to join that won't cost them money.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
greed, plain and simple. Not enough money to get the players paid what they deserve and to support someone intelligent enough to get the organization off and running. You need someone with their own wealth that loves pool and has integrity to run it. I wish I was wealthy enough to do so. Sadly, the world has a lot of wealthy people that just don't like pool or who are flat out too greedy to enjoy someone else's success.

perhaps, but whose greed?

brian

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because the pro players continue to want to run things themselves and have shown time and again that they are more than capable of shooting themselves in the foot. I don't mean to insult anyone but I think that's a fact.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, well we all know that baseball players and football players are not greedy. That is why they have organized --- right?

It may have more to do with the idea that there simply is not a fan base that would encourage sponsors to exploit this source and meet their needs to make a profit. We don't call it greed if it is commercial

I think it may have more to do with the idea that players don’t have managers to negotiate their needs (greed).

Women's pool, as entertainment, makes someone money.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, well we all know that baseball players and football players are not greedy. That is why they have organized --- right?

It may have more to do with the idea that there simply is not a fan base that would encourage sponsors to exploit this source and meet their needs to make a profit. We don't call it greed if it is commercial

I think it may have more to do with the idea that players don’t have managers to negotiate their needs (greed).

Women's pool, as entertainment, makes someone money.

pro sports is all about entertainment. if the product was presented in an entertaining way then there would be a larger fan base and then more sponsorship, tv money, bigger gate receipts, concessions, merchandising ect. the wpba has had some success b/c they follow this model to a certain degree. they make sure there stars are at every event. their stars cant compete outside without wpba sanctioning. there is plenty of chance to meet the players-the pro-am on Wed night, challenge matches, autograph opportunities, wpba merchandise. the venues are generally not pool rooms, but event venues that make for easier spectating. i think most pro pool players feel they can do better on their own and as long as they try to go it alone the sport will never move forward in the US.

brian

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

I understand the greed thing to a point, but ultimately its you and I that pay the way. Its the lack of fan support the hurts this sport. How many people actually pay to watch a PRO tourney. From what I can tell there is very little fan based support. And if the fans won't support their sport then who should? If attendance were to be high at events, then perhaps TV would take notice. But until then, the sport will be hidden in smokey pool rooms and the unsupported events.

chris_williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion you are all correct. Pool has to support itself before someone will inject money into it. Its a crying shame that 2 US players were invited to the wtbc and couldnt afford to go.
The plan Mark Griffin has is to support a US pro tour with a new league system he has developed. The new league is the USA Pool League. a portion of every weeks league dues will go toward a pro tour. Every player (pro and amateur) should get on board with Mark G.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
OK Guys,

I've said it before but here it is again. It's all about the potential for the Olympics. Whichever pool organization becomes recognized by the IOC as the American representative will get rich. Right now, there is no incentive to work together.

Check out how much money the IOC pours into bobsleding. Carbon fiber chassis, body work and windtunnel time. Strength training for the participants. Housing and training facilities. The participants must eat, travel and compete. It's a full time job working for the US Olympic team.

For years I've suggested the various sanctioning bodies do a couple of simple things. First, determine who the current American "professional" pool players are and how others can become one. Second, police the "open" brackets to keep the closet "pro's" from stealing "amateur" events. I don't believe either is being done by anyone. The ACS does post a "Pro" list on their website but thats as close as it gets. To the best of my knowledge, our current sanctioning bodies can not even agree on either point. Or hire a shared person to make it happen.

Regardless of their original intentions, the Olympics have become a venue to showcase professional athletes in their particular sport. Ours will be no different. JohnnyT, you and me have no chance of representing our country. The only Johnny will be Archer.

To me, the only good thing about this is, once an American representative has been determined, they will have to have some mechanism to determine who will represent us. It will force them to have a real professional tour. The organizers will have the money to make it happen! Sponsors who shunned our sport will suddenly want to be associated with it. That is once the "Olympics" tag is attached.

Lyn

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
OK Guys,

I've said it before but here it is again. It's all about the potential for the Olympics. Whichever pool organization becomes recognized by the IOC as the American representative will get rich. Right now, there is no incentive to work together.

Check out how much money the IOC pours into bobsleding. Carbon fiber chassis, body work and windtunnel time. Strength training for the participants. Housing and training facilities. The participants must eat, travel and compete. It's a full time job working for the US Olympic team.

For years I've suggested the various sanctioning bodies do a couple of simple things. First, determine who the current American "professional" pool players are and how others can become one. Second, police the "open" brackets to keep the closet "pro's" from stealing "amateur" events. I don't believe either is being done by anyone. The ACS does post a "Pro" list on their website but thats as close as it gets. To the best of my knowledge, our current sanctioning bodies can not even agree on either point. Or hire a shared person to make it happen.

Regardless of their original intentions, the Olympics have become a venue to showcase professional athletes in their particular sport. Ours will be no different. JohnnyT, you and me have no chance of representing our country. The only Johnny will be Archer.

To me, the only good thing about this is, once an American representative has been determined, they will have to have some mechanism to determine who will represent us. It will force them to have a real professional tour. The organizers will have the money to make it happen! Sponsors who shunned our sport will suddenly want to be associated with it. That is once the "Olympics" tag is attached.

Lyn

bull they need more afterschool programs and college programs, the kids will provide more than the olympics as the parents will get more involved. We need more instructors, teachers etc...ITS THE KIDS NOT THE OLYMPICS....but keep telling yourself that the olympics is going to save us LMAO. As Jay helfert and I agreed upon, all the money they spend trying to suck the IOCC's titty could have been spent to promote organizations for the young folk in this country, without the kids nothing will ever change its just going to be the same bs year after year....oh wait that IS whats happening.

don't believe the hype,
Grey GHost

don't get me wrong i would love to see it in the olympics but that aint the holy grail thats going to save us partner. You get the kids involved enough then they are going to be buying effren bobble head dolls and bullshit like that....I am not wrong, look at every other viable sport in the world and look how they make theirs. Its a big DUH situation, but everyone continues to keep their head up their arse trying to fix a broken finger because their left foot hurts.

Last edited:

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dam right, the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is MONEY

There is plenty running around, just no one wants to get together....I'll take my Pie but you can't have a slice, go bake your own.

This is the motto of most major pool organizations imop that goes for big cue companies to the APA amongst others.

I said awhile back if all major companies get together solid, they could get 5million

5,000,000= ONE HUNDRED 50k dollar added tournaments across the country

Thats TWO 50k$ added tournaments a week.

Think about it,
Grey Ghost

Can't no one tell me that would be hard for all those companies to do, cutek sells what a million cues+ a year? There are what 500k league players? The money Brunswick makes? They take from the pool players, and the players are basically supporting each other, getting basically nothing in return. I think its a shame that tho I work hard out here, most of the time I have nothing to do...and I make more than everyone of the professionals on the money list except the top 4-6 this year depending on how they end up in another month. Its a crying shame.

That's brilliant... that's all I had to say.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I understand the greed thing to a point, but ultimately its you and I that pay the way. Its the lack of fan support the hurts this sport. How many people actually pay to watch a PRO tourney. From what I can tell there is very little fan based support. And if the fans won't support their sport then who should? If attendance were to be high at events, then perhaps TV would take notice. But until then, the sport will be hidden in smokey pool rooms and the unsupported events.

You have a very good point. My thoughts are that it all stats with the fan base and their buying power. I believe are buying power is good as far as buying bulliard supplies, but not very good paying to go to tournaments and PPV. Johnnyt

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
bull they need more afterschool programs and college programs, the kids will provide more than the olympics as the parents will get more involved. We need more instructors, teachers etc...ITS THE KIDS NOT THE OLYMPICS....but keep telling yourself that the olympics is going to save us LMAO......don't believe the hype, Grey GHost

Ghost, I think you are being naive. Money drives this sport. I don't for one minute believe the sanctioning bodies are there for our benefit.
They provide a service, nothing more. It is for profit at every level of the game.

More kids and parents learning the game? I'm all for that. If we do have more kids involved, what incentive do the individual organizers have to co-operate? Nothing has changed except for the sheer number of new players. More spoils for the winner! Perhaps I've just become to jaded to see the whole picture clearly. On the other hand, I may be correct. Only time will tell. Remember the title of this thread. It's not "how to grow the sport"!

Lyn

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK Guys,

Lyn

lyn,

i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here. placing the olympics tag on pool wont make it anymore entertaining for US public. hasnt the olympics declined in viewer share steadily over the years? i dont think the US public really cares that much about the olympics anymore. also pool appears to be very healthy in asia and europe without the olympic tag. grass roots, getting kids involved, school/college programs and making pool entertaining to grow the fan base. thats the way to go. if those steps are taken then maybe pro pool in the us will be more organized.

brian