Gentlemen Moves

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that many of the younger players coming up in pool have a lot of information available to them about how to play certain shots, how to kick etc....but many have no idea what proper table etiquette is.

Come on old timers, lets share some of the "gentlemen moves" with the next generation.

1. Tap Tap Tap - 3 taps with the butt of your cue means "well done" - don't say "gooood shot" after every shot.

2. Wait for your opponent to leave the table area - I have seen players nearly run over their opponent trying to get to the table.

3. Stay quiet and still while your opponent is at the table.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I think that many of the younger players coming up in pool have a lot of information available to them about how to play certain shots, how to kick etc....but many have no idea what proper table etiquette is.

Come on old timers, lets share some of the "gentlemen moves" with the next generation.

1. Tap Tap Tap - 3 taps with the butt of your cue means "well done" - don't say "gooood shot" after every shot.

2. Wait for your opponent to leave the table area - I have seen players nearly run over their opponent trying to get to the table.

3. Stay quiet and still while your opponent is at the table.

Good post, Ray...For point #1, I'm too busy hoping my opponent has a heart attack to bother acknowledging a good shot. Also, most pool rooms no longer have wooden floors, so your tapping would probably go unnoticed anyway.

The other points I agree with completely. :)

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
4. Chalk is to be placed right side up after use
5. Chalk your cue with a light brush stroke, and not while over the table
6. Don't wear headphones, it's disrespectful to us old bastards

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member

Except as was previously mentioned, if the room has carpet, it doesn't work very well. Also, if you're playing in leagues, even with a hard floor, being able to hear that over the sounds of all the people on all the teams playing is pretty hard.

I myself save the "good shot" saying for when it was a really good shot, ie. something they normally wouldn't have made. I say it to my teammates especially to give them a confidence boost. They won't get that boost if they can't hear me tapping my cue on carpet while 20 people within hearing distance are all talking. :)

Brian

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
- If you foul call it on yourself. Don't make your opponent have to make the call.

- If you scratch/foul, retrieve the cueball and literally give your opponent ball in hand.

- For tables without a ball return: Help retrieve the balls from the pockets.

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
I'll also add in:
#7 Be a gracious loser. Don't blame your loss on this roll or that roll or whatever. Man up and accept the loss as the other person played better. Congratulate your opponent on the win.
#8 Be a gracious winner. Don't rub it in.
#9 You are not Tom Cruise in the Color of Money. Stop spinning your damn cue!
#10 Don't concede the damn game by hitting the final ball in with your cue. That pisses me off. Let me win the game properly.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
4. Chalk is to be placed right side up after use
5. Chalk your cue with a light brush stroke, and not while over the table
6. Don't wear headphones, it's disrespectful to us old bastards

I see very good/pro players over 35 year old break all of these, all the time.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I'll also add in:
#7 Be a gracious loser. Don't blame your loss on this roll or that roll or whatever. Man up and accept the loss as the other person played better. Congratulate your opponent on the win.

This is a VERY good point.....I sometimes get frustrated around giving a game away with a stupid miss/position and forget to be a gent and really congratulate them with sincerity......thanks for the reminder.....need to work on this....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Don't chalk your F'ing cue while your opponent is at the table. You're not going to miscue sitting in your chair.

Don't dry you stick while your opponent is at the table. Waving a white towel up and down on your stick during your opponent's inning is distracting and disrespectful.

Don't talk to anyone (including yourself) when it your opponent's turn to shoot.

Good thread.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
When you ask for weight, make sure you mention your blindness and old tired back.

The easiest way to get yourself out of a bad bet is to call, "Foul," and accuse your opponent of cheating. Then gather all the other old men to back you up.

If you can't beat him on the pool table, you can always ask if he plays that golf game.

When you get a table, you are entitled to the 4 other surrounding tables. If someone else decides to play on a neighboring table, you can always cry about it and give him dirty looks. After all, you paid money for that coffee and you deserve some respect.

Hmm...at least that's what the old guys have taught me.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
This is a VERY good point.....I sometimes get frustrated around giving a game away with a stupid miss/position and forget to be a gent and really congratulate them with sincerity......thanks for the reminder.....need to work on this....

Guilty as well. Must correct that, ASAP.

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People without etiquette at the pool table most likely just don't have it in real life. It's not their fault, they're already genetically morons.

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
Of course, when you're playing with good friends, all this goes out the window :)

I hate when people leave the chalk upside down. But, I've been known to do it on purpose when playing some folks that I'm really good friends with when we're just messing around :)

Brian

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
Oh, almost forgot the other huge one!

When you're walking through the pool hall, do NOT just walk past someone in the middle of their shot. Nothing is more freaking distracting to a player! Stop and wait out of their sight line.

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When your inning is over, go sit down or stand away from the table and wait for when its your turn again.

Don't take the only piece of chalk and start chalking your cue after you've just missed a shot. Leave it on the table for your in coming opponent to use during their turn.

Can't stand the upside down chalk either.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Oh, almost forgot the other huge one!

When you're walking through the pool hall, do NOT just walk past someone in the middle of their shot. Nothing is more freaking distracting to a player! Stop and wait out of their sight line.

I disagree with this one. It's more distracting when someone stops dead in the middle of your stroke.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think that's a case by case basis, and depends on how the room is laid out, as well. It does need to be a consideration, tho. Barging through without paying any attention at all is a problem.

MOst important rule for these days

Turn of the cellphones people. If it rings leave the area to talk. Should be loss of game in my mind.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Here are a few, I'll add any I think of if they don't get mentioned:

-Leave chalk right side up.

-Be still and quiet when your opponent is shooting.

-If you're standing while the other shoots, stand well away from the table.

-If you can anticipate your opponent's next shot, move out of the line well in advance. If you are sitting in his line when once he's down, remain perfectly still.

-I'd save any compliments until after the rack is played. Then a comment like "Good out" or "nice shot you made on that 4 ball" is appropriate. This avoids any perception of sharking or disrupting your opponent's rhythm.

-Be aware of interfering with players on adjacent tables.

-Be even more diligent about the rack you give your opponent than the one you'd give to yourself.

-Don't ask to borrow his cue.

-Call fouls on yourself.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
when in action:

Win or lose I like to thank my opponent for the action.

Ray