Beginners Luck?

snookerindy1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in my office finishing up some work today and the wifey says "I want to play you in snooker." I looked up from my keyboard and said "You serious?" She replied, "yes." So we go downstairs, uncover the table and set it up. I let her breakoff. Lo and behold she pots not 1, not 2 but THREE reds on the breakoff! She held her own and had a 39-34 lead with only the black remaining. She missed the black trying to cut it too thin into the corner pocket. Then I potted the black for a 48-39 win. We began playing around 1 pm EDT and just finished around 12:30a EDT. We took a 1/2 hour break for dinner but were right back at it for the rest of the evening. I did manage a break of 27 today which is the highest I have had in awhile, but more importantly - I was very impressed with how the wifey played. Showed a lot potential for future matchups on my "in home" days for work and my weekends.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably she cut it thin deliberately, just to let you win - let you be deluded that you are the alpha in the house. :D
The things women do to keep harmony in the home are amazing.
Certainly beyond the capabllity of a mere husband.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She held her own and had a 39-34 lead with only the black remaining. She missed the black trying to cut it too thin into the corner pocket. Then I potted the black for a 48-39 win.

Sounds like you need to bone up on rules of the game. If only the black remains and the difference in score is six points or less, and someone, ANYONE, fouls (scratch, no contact on black, accidentally moving a ball), that foul constitutes loss of frame, NOT (as is generally supposed) a seven point foul. I am also assuming that you already know that if only the black remains and the difference in points is greater than seven, then the frame is officially over, play cannot continue. When you see a professional clear the table, potting the black to finish, that is only a courtesy to count his high break. The game was "officially" over the instant the pink was potted; the opponent could not continue to play even if he was "only" eight points behind with only the black remaining.

My interpretation: the score was 39-34. Your wife committed a foul with only black remaining. You assumed that to be seven away making the score 41-39. You potted black. In fact, the frame was over when your wife fouled with only black remaining.

I'm glad she enjoys it.

Last edited:

snookerindy1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the rule, but I was trying to be gracious and keep her interested in wanting to play the rest of the time that she wanted.

Wity

Banned
The best rule sadly and mostly is no longer legal.

"No women allowed"

Last edited:

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
What is the beginners luck or post here, that she ran 3 reds?

I am in my office finishing up some work today and the wifey says "I want to play you in snooker." I looked up from my keyboard and said "You serious?" She replied, "yes." So we go downstairs, uncover the table and set it up. I let her breakoff. Lo and behold she pots not 1, not 2 but THREE reds on the breakoff! She held her own and had a 39-34 lead with only the black remaining. She missed the black trying to cut it too thin into the corner pocket. Then I potted the black for a 48-39 win. We began playing around 1 pm EDT and just finished around 12:30a EDT. We took a 1/2 hour break for dinner but were right back at it for the rest of the evening. I did manage a break of 27 today which is the highest I have had in awhile, but more importantly - I was very impressed with how the wifey played. Showed a lot potential for future matchups on my "in home" days for work and my weekends.