Predator 314 shaft or McDermott Intimidator

Sapphire

Hello, I was looking to get some opinions. Which Shaft would be better to purchase; Predator 314 or McDermott Intimidator? And, if you don't mind, explain why you chose the one you did.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
The 314 is quite old tech compared to the “I” shaft, there are a million LD shafts out there my suggestion would be to try as many as you can before you buy one and see what YOU like best.

poolshooter74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mcdermott has a warranty and maintenance plan for their shafts, you pay the shipping and they will replace your tip and clean the shaft twice a year.
you wouldnt be able to have a new tip (kamui i believe) installed for that price. i think with this plan, this choice is a no brainer. IMO!

try it, you might like it!

TheThaiger

Banned
I've owned both and the Predator is better hands down.

I had the I1, so that may make a difference as it's also a break shaft, primarily so, perhaps. I have to say it breaks great, and I regret selling it to this day. Damn those too-good-to-turn-down offers you later regret...

But the 314-2 is miles better as a playing cue, not least because the I1 deflects quite a lot. The McD warranty is superb, however.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
The better shaft or the better warranty..

I prefer Predator Z2 ,though I've owned 2 314-2s ,and a 314 1st gen.

I've also owned the I-2, and the I-3, I had them each for over 2 yrs before I sold them..

The I-2 is a stiff hitting shaft ,with a little feel to it ,though this shaft has almost as much deflection as a standard maple shaft..

Predator 314 1st generation, is lower in deflection than the I-2 , with a medium hit, this shaft has just a little feel as well..

Predator 314-2 , is lower in deflection than both the I-2 or 314 1st gen., but it has almost no feel at all, the hit on 314-2 is slightly above medium, yet not as stiff as the I-2..

For me the 314-2 was a adjustment that took time to get used to , but once I did finally adjust ,I got more spin, and didn't have to sacrifice the cue balls tangent line.. Unlike the I-2, which required me to use more of the cue ball to achieve the same spin I accomplished with the 314-2..

Predator will cover any manufacturing defects that may occur with the shaft,, but does not cover warping,, Though I never had a predator shaft warp on me..

I had the 314-2 for nearly 3 yrs before I sold it, and the day it was sold ,it was still dead straight.. The other 314-2, I had for 2 yrs, prior to giving it to my brother ,,and again that shaft was dead straight when I departed with it.

I've owned my Z-2 for almost 5 yrs ,and its still dead straight , and I've put that shaft through some long hours of pool, its made me much more money then I spent on it..:wink:

The only benefit you stand to gain with the Intimidator series is the lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects ,as well as warping ..

Though if Low deflection isn't your thing, maybe I-shafts are for you, but I personally will never use any shaft when money is on the line, other than a quality low deflection shaft..

Also consider the Mezz WD700(Low deflection,and good feel).. WD700 is better than a 314-2,, being the feel of the WD700 helps you with control, and the deflection is pretty close to 314-2..

Best of Luck with your search....... :thumbup:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator without a doubt.I find my Predator 314-2 has lots of feel and
gets me outta jams with ease.I love Everest tips and the older ones are
deadly good.If I couldn't play with Predator,I would quit playing pool,no joke!!

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer Predator Z2 ,though I've owned 2 314-2s ,and a 314 1st gen.

I've also owned the I-2, and the I-3, I had them each for over 2 yrs before I sold them..

The I-2 is a stiff hitting shaft ,with a little feel to it ,though this shaft has almost as much deflection as a standard maple shaft..

Predator 314 1st generation, is lower in deflection than the I-2 , with a medium hit, this shaft has just a little feel as well..

Predator 314-2 , is lower in deflection than both the I-2 or 314 1st gen., but it has almost no feel at all, the hit on 314-2 is slightly above medium, yet not as stiff as the I-2..

For me the 314-2 was a adjustment that took time to get used to , but once I did finally adjust ,I got more spin, and didn't have to sacrifice the cue balls tangent line.. Unlike the I-2, which required me to use more of the cue ball to achieve the same spin I accomplished with the 314-2..

Predator will cover any manufacturing defects that may occur with the shaft,, but does not cover warping,, Though I never had a predator shaft warp on me..

I had the 314-2 for nearly 3 yrs before I sold it, and the day it was sold ,it was still dead straight.. The other 314-2, I had for 2 yrs, prior to giving it to my brother ,,and again that shaft was dead straight when I departed with it.

I've owned my Z-2 for almost 5 yrs ,and its still dead straight , and I've put that shaft through some long hours of pool, its made me much more money then I spent on it..:wink:

The only benefit you stand to gain with the Intimidator series is the lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects ,as well as warping ..

Though if Low deflection isn't your thing, maybe I-shafts are for you, but I personally will never use any shaft when money is on the line, other than a quality low deflection shaft..

Also consider the Mezz WD700(Low deflection,and good feel).. WD700 is better than a 314-2,, being the feel of the WD700 helps you with control, and the deflection is pretty close to 314-2..

Best of Luck with your search....... :thumbup:
I have to comment on the Mezz 700 shaft to the 314-2.I know to each there own,but the Mezz deflects a ton more than the Predator and wouldn't even consider it a LD shaft IMO.I know that Jason Klatt was pushing the Mezz shafts in a poolroom I play in and most of the guys that went to the Mezz has gone back to the Predator.

Sapphire

Thanks for all of the info. I live in a rural community, and the closest billiards store is almost two hours away. Thus the reason for not having the option to try and buy. I really appreciate all the info and will be doing a tad bit more research.

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
Predator without a doubt.I find my Predator 314-2 has lots of feel and
gets me outta jams with ease.I love Everest tips and the older ones are
deadly good.If I couldn't play with Predator,I would quit playing pool,no joke!!

Ppl have been saying that 314-2 is completely dead, no feel at all and you are saying it has lots of feel. That's odd!!! @.@

I have to comment on the Mezz 700 shaft to the 314-2.I know to each there own,but the Mezz deflects a ton more than the Predator and wouldn't even consider it a LD shaft IMO.I know that Jason Klatt was pushing the Mezz shafts in a poolroom I play in and most of the guys that went to the Mezz has gone back to the Predator.

Now that's hilarious. Did you really play with Mezz WD700 before? It wouldn't even be considered as a LD shaft? OMG this is ridiculous :))

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try them all out before buying. Test them.

For me, I have tried both, and without a doubt it is the Predator 314.

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
consider the I3 if your basics are good.

for the guy that says the 314 has lots of feel@ lol roflmaoooo :grin:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Potato and Pototo..

Like you said its all personal preference, thought Its been my experience that wd700 doesn't deflect that much more than the 314-2..

"Mezz WD700 Shaft
This totally new Mezz design of hard maple shafts has low deflection performance that can enhance every player's game, but yet has a feel of a traditional one-piece maple shaft. The ISS Technology will increase accuracy and generate more power using spin on every shot. "

It was the WD700 feel with Ld that made me prefer it over 314-2, even though the 314-2 has lower deflection , the minimal feel was a turn off..

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
consider the I3 if your basics are good.

for the guy that says the 314 has lots of feel@ lol roflmaoooo :grin:
Of course a Maple shaft has more feel than a Predator but a Predator has
a great hit and depending on your tip choice can greater the feel.I would
sacrifice a bit of feel for alot less deflection any day,but thats me.For
anybody that tests out the Mezz 700 and the 314-2 shaft,try long shots
with inside gum and you'll see what I'm taking about.The Mezz deflects
a ton more.People that find this absurd are obviously the people that
bought the Mezz and feel cheated.:wink:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like you said its all personal preference, thought Its been my experience that wd700 doesn't deflect that much more than the 314-2..

"Mezz WD700 Shaft
This totally new Mezz design of hard maple shafts has low deflection performance that can enhance every player's game, but yet has a feel of a traditional one-piece maple shaft. The ISS Technology will increase accuracy and generate more power using spin on every shot. "

It was the WD700 feel with Ld that made me prefer it over 314-2, even though the 314-2 has lower deflection , the minimal feel was a turn off..
I agree with you that the Mezz will have more feel cause its
closer to a maple shaft.I think its all what you want out of the shaft,for me I'll sacrifice a bit of feel for less deflection and for you the opposite.
At the end of the day its all what you feel will help your game.:)

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with you 100%,, whatever you're most comfortable with, is what will boost your confidence the most..

For the record ,my favourite shaft I own is the Z-2 ,, hardly any feel ,but I've been using it for so long now ,that I don't need feedback to know what it will do..

I've yet to come across a shaft better than the Z-2, spins the ball like no other.. I've had a OB-2 for awhile ,, didnt care for it cause the hit was so soft...

Another decent shaft is the Lucasi Hybrid Slim ,I hated the regular Lucasi hybrid @12.75 ,, but the slim played good with a stiffer hit than Z2.

However I still don't think its deflection was lower than the Z2 ,none the less for $150, it earns 2nd place on the market , as far as 11.75 tapers go.. Imo of course..

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a Schon CX-06 fitted with a McDermott I-3. Perfect combination for balance, feel, and hit. The 11.75mm tip diameter allows me to hit the cue ball with geometric precision. The Moori Soft tip (which is standard with the I-3) is ideal for my style of play. I've played with the I-2 for a while which I really liked but ran across a used I-3 on this forum. The maintenace plan, which someone already mentioned, is great. I've been leery of Predator shafts and never considered them because of the many bad threads about quality that appeared on this forum. Good luck in your quest for the perfect shaft.

a503

Banned
I own both shafts you're looking at.

Other than the warranty, I really do not care for the intimidator series at all. I've played on both the I-2 and the I-3 (The I-3 actually warped on me after a month) I've never had an issue with any of the predator shafts I've used. I currently play on a 314. I've played on the Z, the Z-2 the 314-2 and the precat, and my favorite is the 314, I've had the taper taken down to 11.5. To be completely honest, I'd look at the 314-2 before the intimidator. I would also take a look at the OB1 and Lucasi Zero Flex if you want a 12.75mm shaft. Play with them all, it's a matter of personal preference.

I also second that you should take a look at 11.75 diameter shafts as well, as they provide lower deflection than 12.75mm.

Good luck!:D

Last edited: