Did You Posters Hear Me?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i lost it friday night, just lost it. after another frustrating night of racking and breaking with hardly any decent chances to run out i lost it.

the clincher was when on 3 straight breaks i made a ball and 3 straight times a ball rolled into my path at the last moment. i totally lost it on the 3rd time. i threw the sneaky pete, it shattered into a few pieces. i grabbed a couple of balls and slung them, one went through my paneling. i was pretty much yelling at the top of my lungs like a crazy man.

i am going to place my Bible on the table when i get home tonight, and get some of that Holy Water the Catholics use and sprinkle the table. at this point in time i will try anything. i am at my wits end.

M

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
If you are acting like that, breaking isn't the problem you should be working on.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Cue would understand. Anger Management wouldnt do any good either. after months and months of 95% or more of bad rolls it finally took its toll. i did find the ball that went through the paneling, however. and i did have enough sense to grab a cheap sneaky pete and throw it, and not my regular break cue.

i wonder how one goes about getting an exorcism nowadays?

hustlefinger

Silver Member
Maybe you should consider taking up bowling.

Or, layoff of pool for a few weeks… and then quit altogether.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I graduated from UC Berkeley and you'd better be mellow, dude! Neither your life nor your livelihood are at stake so regroup and go inside of yourself. After the match ends go to some quiet place and center yourself. Then, when the calmness pervades, resort to practising some easy shots to restore confidence.

Hare Krisna. And easy journey to other planets!

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been there! I broke a cue one time while practicing at home. I told myself afterwards that if I ever broke another cue, I'd quit the game for good. That was 12 years ago and so far I'm still doing okay. This is one of the things I love about this game, it makes you work on yourself in addition to working on the game. You do need to control that anger but use this game to help you do that. You'll become a better person and that's more important than becoming a better player.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
i lost it friday night, just lost it. i was pretty much yelling at the top of my lungs like a crazy man.

M

Were you cursing, or just yelling? I find that a few (?few dozen?) carefully chosen curse words is a great tension reliever. Perhaps you should take up a game where luck is less involved (ie. paper/rock/scissors or perhaps straight pool).

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
upset????

Williebetmore said:
Were you cursing, or just yelling? I find that a few (?few dozen?) carefully chosen curse words is a great tension reliever. Perhaps you should take up a game where luck is less involved (ie. paper/rock/scissors or perhaps straight pool).

Cursing won't help, and neither does destroying your equipment. Not getting a shot after the break is a part of life. Learn to push out. This is a part of the game that most people don't understand. If you know anything about the person you're playing push out one of his weaker type of shots. It's like a scouting report in baseball. Negative thoughts cause negative responses to difficult situations. These bad breaks don't last forever. Take the opportunity to advance other parts of your game.

Willie, you don't really curse do you? Is that really why you like straight pool? SAM

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hustlefinger said:
Maybe you should consider taking up bowling.

Or, layoff of pool for a few weeks… and then quit altogether.

I have that shirt...

Want some advise? Take Two weeks off, then quit playing.

Seriously though, you are either just getting unlucky or breaking poorly. Someone placing the next ball in the order in any of the other spots and you could have had a shot. Who knows. Just change your break spot and give em a whack. Make sure you sit the cueball in the middle of the table to increase your chances of a easier shot.

jer9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude...you can't control luck. Sometimes the breaks go your way, and sometimes not. You won't amount to anything in this game if you don't get control of your head.

C

CueHunter

Wow, not only are you a nut for doing that but then post what "should be" a very embarrasing moment. Did you feel like a jerkoff once you cooled off? Most of us have acted inappropriately at some point in our pool careers but the key is to realize it and make sure that it never happens again!

Doctors orders:
Take a week or two off and if the problem persists, never pick up a cue again.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
Dr. Cue would understand. Anger Management wouldnt do any good either. after months and months of 95% or more of bad rolls it finally took its toll. i did find the ball that went through the paneling, however. and i did have enough sense to grab a cheap sneaky pete and throw it, and not my regular break cue.

i wonder how one goes about getting an exorcism nowadays?

I used to think like you and I would often get runs of bad luck.

I changed when I began to believe the following:

That there really is no luck in the world, everything happens for a reason. The tough things are to test us.

Now when unlucky things put me into a tough predicament, I look at it as a test. The best I can do is play the smarteest shot I can think of next, and execute as well as I know how.

It is amazing how many times things turn around when I do this. Maybe 3 shots down the track my opponent gets into a tight dangerous position and everything turns around.

An occassional games may go to the guy who plays all kind of crap and lucks it. There is even a reason for this to happen in life.

But I believe, if you put all your mind and skill into a game, with a kind and studious frame of mind, and you do this better than your opponent, you will nearly always win,...somehow....it just happens.

Conversly, when I used to get frustrated about my bad run of balls and being forced to overcome much tougher odds, the bad run continued, and opportunities began to be missed under pressure and becuase I wouldn't decide on smart options. I'd go from overly cautious to long odd risks hoping for a luck swing.

The game is very mental and more importantly, my experiences have shown me that luck is not random. It is destiny, a test that may be passed or failed.

rufus

Movin up
Have you ever notice people with bad attitudes are always the ones with bad luck. When you are always pointing out the negative in a situation you will start looking for the negative when it isn't even there. If I broke three times in a row and made a ball everytime, I'd be happy that I still had control of the table and could push out. Sounds like to me you are practicing to be inconsitant. It isn't very likely to break and run out all the time, but this is what you are trying to practice. When top players string a lot of racks together it just comes. They aren't expecting it it just happens. The only thing they are expecting is to deliver the good stroke that they practice and to have there cue ball stop where they want it to. If the cue ball luckily gets kick in, oh well they did what they wanted to and are content with that. If it happens everytime they will change something. Good player expect good things and they normally get them. They don't harp on the bad.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
satman said:
Willie, you don't really curse do you? Is that really why you like straight pool? SAM

No, I don't really curse - I was just trying to inject a little humor (or cause a little trouble). It just goes to show that the internet can be a really bad place to seek advice. It seemed "the Protege", was really just ventilating about the stupidity of 9 Ball, rather than actually seeking help. For me, a bad day at pool (never had one though), would easily beat a good day at the office.

P.S. - I am easily the worst 9 Ball breaker in the world (my teacher is one of the best) - I am sure I could remedy the situation if I gave a #$%@ about 9 Ball. I seem to do just as well with a soft break, and I love to watch my opponents discomfort with the inevitable remaining clusters (as a straight pool geek, I love navigating the clusters, its the most fun part).

Skeezicks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
the clincher was when on 3 straight breaks i made a ball and 3 straight times a ball rolled into my path at the last moment.
Bad rolls are god's way of telling you to give up pool and do something worthwhile with your life.

DrCue'sProtege said:
i totally lost it on the 3rd time. i threw the sneaky pete, it shattered into a few pieces. i grabbed a couple of balls and slung them, one went through my paneling. i was pretty much yelling at the top of my lungs like a crazy man.
Is that all, you big sissy? Next time, burn your house down.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Buy a newspaper and when the urge to freak out hits you, take a look at the front page and realize that at least you're playing pool instead of what a lot of other people are currently doing...I can give Earl the six out in swearing but my pool hall has a tv and one look at cnn and the urge just fades.