Guns and Cues, Show us your Piece

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a great thread, I'm sure that any potential sponsors just love this and would flock to put up money.

Start another thread where everyone shows their pipes and needles.

Potential sponsors? What has this got to do with that? By the way most of the sponsors I've worked with in the past were gun owners themselves. Your comments are way out there in left field.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is actually, God created Man. Sam Colt made them Equal.

But there are variations to it, one of which you came close to.

We aren't allowed to carry guns in Canada. I have always wondered what it felt like.

I can imagine that based on how Bava describes his ownership and proudly being able to carry legally in 40 States that it must fell like walking down the street with a perpetual Hard On.
It is the opposite of what you think. The moment you have a gun on you it is your responsibility to never get into a confrontation. There is no such thing as "What are you looking at" or "Are you talking to me".

You in effect have to become ultra passive, or you may instigate something and have to use the gun as a result of your own doing. Better to take a few insults or even embarrassment then get in a confrontation over nothing. Self defense means self defense. If you can't abide by this then never leave the house with a gun on you.

I will not lie, there is a difference, such as you are driving and some guy cuts you off and shoots you the bird. You feel totally confident and there is no need to confront anyone. You just go on your way. All ego has to be left at home when you carry a gun.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, companies who want more information and go to forums and pool sites to look around at the potential for them to put their product out there to a certain demographic.

You don't know everything in pool Jay, and you sure as hell don't know every sponsor in the world.

I put feelers out there for a good one pocket tournament in a new format and a large company who was interested. It doesn't matter if a sponsor owns guns or not, even if the whole company has guns, they are selling a product, and a thread with pool sticks and guns in the pictures is a turn off to advertisers.

Think I'm wrong, show me ads where the sport is sitting right next to guns.

I forgot that all those who don't agree with Jay are "way out there in left field"

And you think a thread about guns is going to drive them away? I think it might have the opposite effect and create a little more respect for us poor downtrodden pool players. I may not know "everything" but I'm proud of the fact that I'm always open to learn a little more, and this is a damn good place to do just that.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Apparently you can kill a person with a drinking straw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6QIu4E5nnA.

A sharpened credit card.

I am waiting on a Gerber drop point folder, pocket clipper with a 3 1/2 inch blade at the moment.

When I used to drive my taxi nights, I used to carry a spring handled black jack and a small knife with a chain around my neck under my shirt.

Even the black jacks are illegal in Canada. I tried to no avail to get a small taser but you have no idea of how many times I seriously wished that I had one.

Can get scary out there mixing it up with drunks and druggies, when you are the only one in the Hack and no one to back your ass.

I mean, there is no way that anyone in Canada is going to get a personal carry but if there is one group of people that need one, its night shift taxi drivers.

PS - I know Mac, I was just teasing as usual. There are people that would feel that way but I bet the majority of people that carry are exactly as how you describe them.

BTW, I like those Ballistic Pens. I think they are the cats ass.

I'm not quite so sure that your analogy of Sponsors, pool and guns is quite correct Arm Wrestle.
With Fishing, Hunting, Guns, Out Door sportsmanship, maybe pool needs to be linked with these type of sponsors etc. I bet that if Smith and Wesson,
Cabellas and Bass Pro Shops suddenly started sponsoring pool, there may be a ton more viewers.

If for example, there was an out door hunting show and they said, Stay tuned for the Cabellas 9 Ball Championship I bet the viewers would stay tuned in.
Specially if at the breaks, the commercials contained hunting, fishing, tips etc.

I let my Canadian FAC lag and now have to go back and get the new updated PAL license. The course that I am taking also includes the restricted license. And I can tell you 100%, I already have my 308 Savage package already picked out and down to a couple or three hand guns.
Its going to be a fine day when I walk into Cabellas and tell the guy to show me some of those guns in the display case.

I have my first hand gun picked to be a long barrel 22LR for target practice before I get into anything bigger.

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
A sponsor wants to make money......the sponsor puts their product out there......people buy their product.
Now, when someone has money and is interested in the product they will buy it and if they are broke they won't buy it. Usually, people that have some extra money are people that buy guns and ammo and shooting related items.

A firearm is not a must have item and neither is a pool cue. If I knew that a person had enough money to buy a fairly expensive firearm and a nice cue I would be pushing my product on that person because I know they have money to spend. This is called marketing your product.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is the opposite of what you think. The moment you have a gun on you it is your responsibility to never get into a confrontation. There is no such thing as "What are you looking at" or "Are you talking to me".

You in effect have to become ultra passive, or you may instigate something and have to use the gun as a result of your own doing. Better to take a few insults or even embarrassment then get in a confrontation over nothing. Self defense means self defense. If you can't abide by this then never leave the house with a gun on you.

I will not lie, there is a difference, such as you are driving and some guy cuts you off and shoots you the bird. You feel totally confident and there is no need to confront anyone. You just go on your way. All ego has to be left at home when you carry a gun.

One more excellent post by Mac. I always felt an extra sense of confidence when I was playing pool on the road year ago, because I had an equalizer on me if anyone ever tried to rob me. I never had to even show it to anyone, because people don't like to mess with a confident man. Believe me it's true. The way you carry yourself has a lot to do with how people perceive you and what they are willing to do.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
It's not about a picture of a firearm.

READ THE TITLE

"GUNS AND CUES. Show us your piece"

Had it been just a gun thread, no problem, when you put the two together if you can't see that it could cause problems with people, then I can't help you.

BTW pipes aren't illegal, needles can be.

Pipes are illegal when they are used as drug paraphernalia just like needles. We know that's what you were referring to.

Post #133 was meant for you to read as well.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, companies who want more information and go to forums and pool sites to look around at the potential for them to put their product out there to a certain demographic.

You don't know everything in pool Jay, and you sure as hell don't know every sponsor in the world.

I put feelers out there for a good one pocket tournament in a new format and a large company who was interested. It doesn't matter if a sponsor owns guns or not, even if the whole company has guns, they are selling a product, and a thread with pool sticks and guns in the pictures is a turn off to advertisers.

Think I'm wrong, show me ads where the sport is sitting right next to guns.

I forgot that all those who don't agree with Jay are "way out there in left field"
We would be lucky if pool cues were next to guns, we would be more mainstream then a fringe sport no one cares about. Pools hay day was when it was teamed up with bowling. Pool needs a partner to augment it's appeal. I wish every gun owner felt the urge to take a look at pool because of an association with gun ownership.

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might believe that if a potential sponsor was looking at this thread they would see that pool players are not broke and that we have some extra funds in which to spend on their products and or services.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's our right to own them.

Attachments

• RightToBearArms.jpg
    RightToBearArms.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 655

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more excellent post by Mac. I always felt an extra sense of confidence when I was playing pool on the road year ago, because I had an equalizer on me if anyone ever tried to rob me. I never had to even show it to anyone, because people don't like to mess with a confident man. Believe me it's true. The way you carry yourself has a lot to do with how people perceive you and what they are willing to do.

People need to know the laws where they live. I have a book sitting right here on my desk called "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H Gutmacher. He is an attorney who specializes in gun law.
I would suggest anyone in Florida who has a gun to buy this book you can just google him and he has a web site. There is a misconception about gun laws.

People think they are very liberal, they are not. The rights of gun ownership are pretty liberal, but the moment you have that gun we have some of the toughest laws on the books with mandatory sentencing.
They have made it easy to have a gun but then you can get yourself in trouble a million different ways.

Look at the girl that fired a shot into her ceiling when he boyfriend was in her apartment as a warning. No big deal right? She got 10 years in prison for that one shot. She fired a gun inside an occupied dwelling, mandatory 10 years. Every lawyer who looked at the case said she would not have done a day if she had just shot him. The laws can be weird.

Look at the loud music case in north Florida. He was found not guilty of murdering the one kid but will spend life in prison because he fired shots into an occupied car. 3 mandatory 20 years consecutive.

The moment you leave home with that gun on you with your permit in your pocket you are risking everything you have or ever will have if something happens. The possible liabilities of walking around with that gun probably exceed by many times the probability of any self defense it will ever provide you. Even if you can get out of it you will probably bankrupt with legal fees or lose a civil suit for what ever you did.

Fire that gun, even in self defense and have that bullet cross a roadway or enter a dwelling and you may find yourself in prison for many years. In many cases like with the girl, mandatory sentencing will put you there regardless how the judge feels. Gun laws are tough, real tough in most states.

I went ahead and looked up that guys web site for those interested
http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
"Big money sponsors"......P.L.E.A.S.E......reality check

Well, big money sponsors have been looking at the pool scene for well over a decade. Here's what they've seen......many, many players dressed in thug-style garb, with baggy shirts with provocative and inappropriate logos and slogans (that most people wouldn't let their kids see), flat-billed caps twisted sideways, gold chains, loose baggy pants hanging down past the cracks of their asses, sleazy pimpin' running suits with multi-colored basketball shoes, etc. That's what's been seen at most tournaments or larger pool venues the past many years.

Fact.....the dozen or two men pros that always dress, act and speak professionally can't pull up the rest of the scene and take up that slack.

So, when you say that legal gun ownership will hurt pool's image .......please.....get real.....it could only improve it. :(

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Only have a group photo atm The AR has been upgraded quite a bit

Cue added per request of Dom Poppa-what ya think great cue huh?

Attachments

• arsenal.jpg
    arsenal.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_5000.jpg
    IMG_5000.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'd rather be in prison for a few years...

People need to know the laws where they live. I have a book sitting right here on my desk called "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H Gutmacher. He is an attorney who specializes in gun law.
I would suggest anyone in Florida who has a gun to buy this book you can just google him and he has a web site. There is a misconception about gun laws.

People think they are very liberal, they are not. The rights of gun ownership are pretty liberal, but the moment you have that gun we have some of the toughest laws on the books with mandatory sentencing.
They have made it easy to have a gun but then you can get yourself in trouble a million different ways.

Look at the girl that fired a shot into her ceiling when he boyfriend was in her apartment as a warning. No big deal right? She got 10 years in prison for that one shot. She fired a gun inside an occupied dwelling, mandatory 10 years. Every lawyer who looked at the case said she would not have done a day if she had just shot him. The laws can be weird.

Look at the loud music case in north Florida. He was found not guilty of murdering the one kid but will spend life in prison because he fired shots into an occupied car. 3 mandatory 20 years consecutive.

The moment you leave home with that gun on you with your permit in your pocket you are risking everything you have or ever will have if something happens. The possible liabilities of walking around with that gun probably exceed by many times the probability of any self defense it will ever provide you. Even if you can get out of it you will probably bankrupt with legal fees or lose a civil suit for what ever you did.

Fire that gun, even in self defense and have that bullet cross a roadway or enter a dwelling and you may find yourself in prison for many years. In many cases like with the girl, mandatory sentencing will put you there regardless how the judge feels. Gun laws are tough, real tough in most states.

I went ahead and looked up that guys web site for those interested
http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

Better to be in prison for a few years than a morgue for a few days...

Jaden

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I was trying to rep Macguy on that comment. I am also a big fan of his and have been for 10 or 11 years since the Billiard's Digest days. Who else can make a cue, run 200 with it, and then blast your butt with a .44 if you don't settle up?

Seriously, his perspectives have been very educational to me over time.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do we own guns....can't speak for others but me.......because of what Sam Colt once remarked.

God may not have made men all equal but Col. Colt sure did.......and the world around us is becoming more violent.

Remember Aurora Colrado.........I will not go down without at least returning fire and you can't do that if you don't own a gun or it's not on your person when needed.

I own guns because I can....I wear and carry a gun for self-defense because I'm qualified and legally licensed to wear and carry a concealed weapon.

And guns are beautiful works of art....it's not the gun that becomes a problem, it's the gun owner.

Expanded, stricter background checks are needed and every gun sale undergoes a background check. ...."Regulate the gun owners instead of blaming the guns."

Matt B.
Hear Hear

I know many folks with legal firearms- some have had them since they were 10 years old. Not one of them has shot anyone or even fired one outside of target shooting or hunting.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better to be in prison for a few years than a morgue for a few days...

Jaden

That sounds macho but there are realities that many don't even consider. Suppose you just say to someone, "I have a gun" or even make the innuendo. They call the police your arrested charges get pressed. $25,000.000 in legal fees later you are out of it, was it worth it?

You may have lost your job as a result and after that your marriage breaks up from the stress of the money and all that has gone on. There is a thing called a "Cascade effect". One seeming meaningless act can change your life.

I am not telling you not to carry a gun, just there is real and serious liability involved every moment you do. Walking around with a gun is not nothing. My little scenario is not far fetched. In many states if you have a gun on the property of a post office it is a felony. Even if it is locked up. You need to know all this stuff.