Turning Stone XXII- the prediction thread

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice turnout for sure, but no Ralf, Niels, Reyes, Ko's, Dennis O Biado, and many more from Asia. This is not good for the U.S. Open to fill 128 @ $700 or $750 (I forget). I think Barry only has about 35 at this time. Johnnyt

You must be mistaken, Johnny. Didn't Barry offer to bet anyone $10,000 that the U.S. Open would fill all 128 places with a $1,000 entry fee?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorten your list by 2 down to 5 and you can get action from me.

Alright, takeitdown.
Here's my revised list (below) with the "Rocket" and Morra gone.
The "Rocket" has a few issues right now and Morra has hit another plateau.

I felt that originally I was being a little generous anyway.
Taking away two names is probably more apropos.
I agree with you on choosing five.
Yes, there a lot of great players out there, but when it really comes down to it,
only a few will win the 'big ones.'
I mean, look how damn good Mickelson, Els, and the others were during the "Tiger Era."

I'll be looking you up, takeitdown, after the results of this tourney. :)

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
VAN BOENING, SHANE

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be mistaken, Johnny. Didn't Barry offer to bet anyone $10,000 that the U.S. Open would fill all 128 places with a $1,000 entry fee?

Yeah and to CUT the entry fee and totally abandon the idea of more than 128 Players this late when they have WPA sanctioning working for them tells you just how bad it's going.

Imagine running a tourny for 37 years or whatever it is and still have NO Idea about the economics end of it? 128 Players @$1k each?-ahahahaha- I think he is looking at some of the phony numbers being thrown around on some of these challenge matches!!

PS I think the whole event is in danger

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright, takeitdown.

Yes, there a lot of great players out there, but when it really comes down to it,
I mean, look how damn good Mickelson, Els, and the others were during the "Tiger Era."

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
VAN BOENING, SHANE

gotta Love the action. This is great.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
He's still not good enough for Mosconi Cup. Mark is sabotaging US chance at success. But let's not go there.

This was not my point. The Mosconi team should be whatever Mark Wilson feels it should be. He'll do a great job.

This was not my point. The Mosconi team should be whatever Mark Wilson feels it should be. He'll do a great job.

Just cause he's captain he can poke holes in the boat?

If a football coach fielded the second string in the super bowl you would be cool with that?

It's nonsense

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright, takeitdown.

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
VAN BOENING, SHANE

My top five, if we had to pick a pool of potential winners for this turning stone....

ARCHER
STRICKLAND
SOSSEI
DECHAINE
VAN BOENING

Anyone else? We will have to revisit this prediction thread on Sunday to see who had the most in their top five still playing. What does the winner get?
Autographed event poster by mike zuglan? :grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My top five, if we had to pick a pool of potential winners for this turning stone....

ARCHER
STRICKLAND
SOSSEI
DECHAINE
VAN BOENING

Anyone else? We will have to revisit this prediction thread on Sunday to see who had the most in their top five still playing. What does the winner get?
Autographed event poster by mike zuglan? :grin:
You forgot this guy...:angry:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=xnyvWU2JnClfLJXMKTlTkA&bvm=bv.73231344,d.aWw

And he better do it soon...he aint getting any younger.
He's got the heart and he's got the talent.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just cause he's captain he can poke holes in the boat?

If a football coach fielded the second string in the super bowl you would be cool with that?

It's nonsense

So you think we will lose worse than we did last year?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So you think we will lose worse than we did last year?

I don't, but I place little significance on how we did when Matchroom chose our team. Don't set the bar THAT low, sir. To me, anything worse than 11-6 would be pretty embarrassing and would qualify as another massacre.

Surpassing the efforts of the worst American Mosconi Cup performance ever is automatic. I predict that no Mosconi Cup Team USA will ever do as poorly as last year's team unless, of course, Matchroom resumes telling the USA who must be on its team.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Surprised how little love Hatch is getting in this thread.

He showed excellent form in the Steinway 10-ball event two weekends ago, coming second to Kiamco in a field that included Shane, Dechaine, Archer, Morra, Sossei, Bergman, Wilkie and other top pros.

Dennis is playing the best pool I've seen from him in a long time and is definitely a conntender.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised how little love Hatch is getting in this thread.

He showed excellent form in the Steinway 10-ball event two weekends ago, coming second to Kiamco in a field that included Shane, Dechaine, Archer, Morra, Sossei, Bergman, Wilkie and other top pros.

Dennis is playing the best pool I've seen from him in a long time and is definitely a conntender.

Believe me, there is nothing I would like more than to see hatch take the turning stone. Anytime he is playing, a good size crowd forms with him being from buffalo, he has his fans. There is a lot of energy when he goes deep in the tournament.

But by late Saturday when he has been there he runs across a few speed bumps and trips up. Like you said though, he is playing some great pool and also never underestimate the power of not being selected for the Mosconi cup team. That might drive up the determination more than being selected.

So you are right, Hatch is a contender.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't, but I place little significance on how we did when Matchroom chose our team. Don't set the bar THAT low, sir. To me, anything worse than 11-6 would be pretty embarrassing and would qualify as another massacre.

Surpassing the efforts of the worst American Mosconi Cup performance ever is automatic. I predict that no Mosconi Cup Team USA will ever do as poorly as last year's team unless, of course, Matchroom resumes telling the USA who must be on its team.

Really? A lot of people thought that line -up was perfect. On paper given the performance of the players plus their experience, i thought it looked pretty good. I dont remember anyone saying we'd get massacred beforehand ?