Mosconi Cup is unfair

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Europe can field a dream team of five world 9-ball champions all of whom are current or future BCA Hall of Famers (Souquet, Immonen, Feijen, Appleton, Hohmann). If they do, our chances aren't very good.

A European "B" team of Nick Vandenberg, Jayson Shaw, Karl Boyes, Mateusz Sniegocki and Karol Skowerski would be crushed by the European dream team but would still likely be favored over Team USA. If Europe sends its "C" team, perhaps Albin Ouschan, Dennis Grabe, Mario He, Mark Gray, and Nick Ekonomopolus, we've still got tough action. Against a European "D" team, perhaps Chris Melling, Bruno Muratore, Darryl Peach, Ralph Eckert and Stephan Cohen, we've got fairly even action.

Yup, Europe has more top flight players than America.

Still, we're sending a solid team that has a shot unless Europe sends its dream team. Don't sell our guys short.

On a separate note, I don't much care for Jeremy Sossei having been singled out in the original post. He was 7th in last year's US Open, 2nd at Turning Stone and has won on the Joss Tour this year, making his credentials very strong relative to most of the "Mosconi 8." He also beat Shane at the Steinway Classic 10-ball event about a month ago. Jeremy is a fine player and our chances go down if he's not one of our five competing. Still, the statement that he doesn't play at a level comparable to the top few Europeans is accurate.

Dechaine's absence will, as some have suggested, be felt. In the Steinway 10-ball in August, Mike drew two of the Mosconi 8 and didn't break a sweat, beating both John Schmidt 9-4 and Justin Bergman 9-4. Outside of Shane, Mike is America's best rotation pool player and he proves it over and over. Still, let's respect Coach Wilson's choices. Somewhat unconventionally, Mark has opted to go with chemistry over quality, and perhaps this will prove to be the winning move. Then again, those of us who watched Dechaine and Deuel, with great teamwork and communication, easily beat Francisco and Efren in Vegas this July will greatly regret that the two will not be one of our Mosconi doubles teams.

Matchroom meddled in the team selections a year ago. Perhaps they will do so again and get Europe to send something far weaker than its dream team. Still, the last five times the US chose its own Mosconi team, it averaged eight match wins. so I'm predicting Europe will win 11-8 if it sends its best.

I think Nick and Jayson can be on the A team. Jermey did well at Snookers a week or two ago, he beat Jayson but did get beatten handily by Dechaine. Jermey was on a comeback for a bit, but I thought that soon as he broke dry, Mike would take it and he did. I think Jermey ran 2-3 racks of 10 ball, broke dry and Mike finished the set.

frigopie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Europe can field a dream team of five world 9-ball champions all of whom are current or future BCA Hall of Famers (Souquet, Immonen, Feijen, Appleton, Hohmann). If they do, our chances aren't very good.

A European "B" team of Nick Vandenberg, Jayson Shaw, Karl Boyes, Mateusz Sniegocki and Karol Skowerski would be crushed by the European dream team but would still likely be favored over Team USA. If Europe sends its "C" team, perhaps Albin Ouschan, Dennis Grabe, Mario He, Mark Gray, and Nick Ekonomopolus, we've still got tough action. Against a European "D" team, perhaps Chris Melling, Bruno Muratore, Darryl Peach, Ralph Eckert and Stephan Cohen, we've got fairly even action.

Yup, Europe has more top flight players than America.

Still, we're sending a solid team that has a shot unless Europe sends its dream team. Don't sell our guys short.

On a separate note, I don't much care for Jeremy Sossei having been singled out in the original post. He was 7th in last year's US Open, 2nd at Turning Stone and has won on the Joss Tour this year, making his credentials very strong relative to most of the "Mosconi 8." He also beat Shane at the Steinway Classic 10-ball event about a month ago. Jeremy is a fine player and our chances go down if he's not one of our five competing. Still, the statement that he doesn't play at a level comparable to the top few Europeans is accurate.

Dechaine's absence will, as some have suggested, be felt. In the Steinway 10-ball in August, Mike drew two of the Mosconi 8 and didn't break a sweat, beating both John Schmidt 9-4 and Justin Bergman 9-4. Outside of Shane, Mike is America's best rotation pool player and he proves it over and over. Still, let's respect Coach Wilson's choices. Somewhat unconventionally, Mark has opted to go with chemistry over quality, and perhaps this will prove to be the winning move. Then again, those of us who watched Dechaine and Deuel, with great teamwork and communication, easily beat Francisco and Efren in Vegas this July will greatly regret that the two will not be one of our Mosconi doubles teams.

Matchroom meddled in the team selections a year ago. Perhaps they will do so again and get Europe to send something far weaker than its dream team. Still, the last five times the US chose its own Mosconi team, it averaged eight match wins. so I'm predicting Europe will win 11-8 if it sends its best.

And David Alcaide, better than most players you said (2014 10Ball, 2013 8Ball European Champion)

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that ever so slightly bothers me is when European players move to the U.S. and take advantage of everything America has to offer, which includes improving their pool game, and they then go and play on the European team in the Mosconi Cup. Of course, I don't blame them for playing because I certainly wouldn't expect them to turn down the invitation and I know this is pretty much standard practice is just about any international sporting competition but it still bothers me a bit. Although it only bothers me for this one event though because I love having guys like Appleton over here. I think it's a great thing overall.

However, maybe Matchroom should stick to the guys that live and play in Europe and not those that live and play in the U.S.

I know that would suck for someone like Appleton who is a great player and very worthy of playing on the team but something just doesn't quite sit well with me. Maybe I've just run out of ideas for the U.S. and this is the only one I have left. :)

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please tell us where you studied psychology.

psychopath, noun

person suffering from chronic mental disorder, especially with abnormal or violent behavior

dictionary, noun

publication that lists and explains words of a language or gives equivalents in another language

If you're referring to Darrel's occasional tantrum, I'd say they pale in comparison to the behavior of several members of the American team...

Are you talking about Darrel or his other brother darrel:)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Yes it's a bit unfair now, but it was unfair to Euope the first ten years or so. Johnnyt

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that ever so slightly bothers me is when European players move to the U.S. and take advantage of everything America has to offer, which includes improving their pool game, and they then go and play on the European team in the Mosconi Cup. Of course, I don't blame them for playing because I certainly wouldn't expect them to turn down the invitation and I know this is pretty much standard practice is just about any international sporting competition but it still bothers me a bit. Although it only bothers me for this one event though because I love having guys like Appleton over here. I think it's a great thing overall.

However, maybe Matchroom should stick to the guys that live and play in Europe and not those that live and play in the U.S.

I know that would suck for someone like Appleton who is a great player and very worthy of playing on the team but something just doesn't quite sit well with me. Maybe I've just run out of ideas for the U.S. and this is the only one I have left. :)

Apply this to the Ryder Cup and have a think about how ridiculous it sounds

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Again, the absence of a merit-based system of selection is "UNFAIR" as the op alluded to in his original post!

Better question or comment is "WHY?"

It was alleged that the players pulled a "Challenge of Champions" move!!!

If so, then it is not unfair to punish and eliminate them as contenders. Ask Pete Rose! The young guns are following in the footsteps of the alleged perpetrators. Have a sport in shambles and the future extinguished do to no fault of their own. So, throwing them a bone for PAST transgressions is only fair. Just not fair to Skylar, Dechaine and a few others eliminated from contention and have a squeaky clean record.

Last year if the selection was made based on performance then Jeremy was in the hunt and on track to Mosconi Cup membership. This year’s performance is much different for a number of players. Mark Wilson made an error in using last year’s information to select his team way to early. He still holds the crown and can do as he pleases. So, you never know if a change is near or in the works?

KD

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care who wins or looses. I just want to see some great pool!
Having said that, It's clear to me that the European players treat pool much more like a sport, they are generally in much better physical shape than the American players, Mika runs marathons, Niels and especially Thorsten seems to put in some serious gym time!

Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
We cannot do much worse than last years 11-2 mule whipping.

Give the lads a chance this year -- try supporting rather than bashing.

Lou Figueroa

Agreed and at least this year we might lose with a little more class.

Personally I would rather see our team lose with dignity than win while acting like a bunch of uneducated rednecks.

This change is good for our team. Sometimes great teams are built rather than bought.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the funniest and most accurate things I have ever seen posted on AZ.

Bravo sir.

Personally I think having Sossei possibly on the team over Dechaine and a few others is batshit crazy but I know why some decisions were made. This year was meant to send a message to players and fans alike about [what] Matchroom is going to accept going forward.

Good perspective, JCIN.
I think the all the gripes and complaints about "unfairness" is a waste of time.

Team U.S.A. and Matchroom's primary goal this year is to bring a semblance of
TEAMWORK AND PROFESSIONALISM back into the team's countenance.

This is no doubt, a business move that will behoove not only the sponsor,
but also will predict the future of this event.

For those of you who continue to present arguments,
such as the competition and selection process being unfair and/or "not right,"
you have little sense of what is currently taking place.

Let this Mosconi Cup take place, watch it,
and hopefully we will see a U.S.A. team that presents itself well.
Who gives a flying F*#! if they win or not—
it's whether the team shows class and professionalism in victory or defeat.

Watch and see because believe me, Matchroom will be watching closely, folks.

And there you have it............

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And David Alcaide, better than most players you said (2014 10Ball, 2013 8Ball European Champion)

Yes, that's a bad oversight on my part. Still, for an American trying to come up with European players on the fly, I think I did OK.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think leaving Mike off is a mistake but maybe that will be corrected next year. He did play poorly in his first Mosconi Cup appearance but it was his first. I think we would see a different Mike Dechaine in his next appearance. Either way I will still be rooting for team USA and they could have done a lot worse than Jeremy. He's a great player and stand up guy.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think leaving Mike off is a mistake but maybe that will be corrected next year. He did play poorly in his first Mosconi Cup appearance but it was his first. I think we would see a different Mike Dechaine in his next appearance. Either way I will still be rooting for team USA and they could have done a lot worse than Jeremy. He's a great player and stand up guy.

Mike played on the Mosconi Cup team in both 2011 and 2012.

In 2011, he went 1-1 in singles (including a nice 6-1 win over Souquet), 0-2 in doubles, and USA lost the Team match.

In 2012, he went 0-2 in singles, 1-2 in doubles, and USA won the Team match.

So for the 2 years combined, he's 1-3 in singles, 1-4 in doubles, and 1-1 in Team matches.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In 2011, he went 1-1 in singles (including a nice 6-1 win over Souquet), 0-2 in doubles, and USA lost the Team match.

So for the 2 years combined, he's 1-3 in singles, 1-4 in doubles, and 1-1 in Team matches.

My mistake.
I still think he should be included but that's an argument for another day.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may be a great guy and he may occasionally be a world beater, but Neils Feijen and Darren Appleton are psychopaths who will be putting their pinkies in Jeremy's butthole.

One of the funniest and most accurate things I have ever seen posted on AZ.

Bravo sir.

Of all the bazillions of posts here, THIS is one that you single out as your favorite? :confused: :eek: :p

liakos

Banned
Nine ball, race to 5 or 6 with alternating break is and equelizer for pro players. The lag, making a ball or more on the break and holding your break, the mental game, and of course who get the higher percentage of the rolls at key times will win the MC, not who is a world champion.

If none of the 5 Americans fold under pressure and dog key shots...they can win this. I know it won't be easy, but I do believe they will have a team that can lean on each other and gain strength from there. Go America. Johnnyt

1000% correct sir! One other thing to add, this puts more pressure in the Europeans because they "know" there suppose to beat the young guys;) not to toot my own horn, by I'm a B player, I played a weekly tourney at dechaines home room and played to short stops/pros,,,, beat them both;) they got on hill while I had 0 race to 5 with alternating breaks! The difference in skill level between me and those guys is astronomical! But the difference between our moscini boys and the euros,,,, not so much!

Some of the comments by a few in here lead me to believe there are lot of C- and under players;) just sayin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Thing is, though, that the Mike Dechaine of 2014 could give the Mike Dechaine of 2012 the seven.