World Cup of Pool 2014(Portsmouth, UK) 23-28Sep (9ball Scotch Doubles) Winner $60K

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Finland's record by year:

2012: 5-0 champion
2013:t 3-1 tied for 3rd
2014: 3-0 tied for 3rd or better

That 11-1 in their last 12 matches. Finland seems to have it down pat at the World Cup of Pool.

Ever since Mika hooked up with Petri

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Does anyone know tha schedule for tomorrow?

ESPN3 schedule for Sunday says the stream starts at 8:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time and the second stream (probably the final) begins at 1:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN3 schedule for Sunday says the stream starts at 8:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time and the second stream (probably the final) begins at 1:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time.

First match of the afternoon will be Austria vs. Holland, followed by England A vs. Finland.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I just don't understand the "gaffed" up break rule and where it originated. It seems to primarily benefit Europe . I'm not whining about it because it is what it is but that's a helluva way to lose a game when the breaker hits them hard makes a ball and has to turn the table over. It seems like more of a specialty shot that the euros specialize in. It's definitely not typical in American pool. I'm not taking away from their talent but talent alone is not where the advantage lays

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a bad choice JAM. Not bad at all
Go Finland!!!

Mika is one of my favorite players for years now. I like his game...

... but Niels has also become stronger and stronger. Saw him again at the Hangelar Open, that he won again. He played flawless, also against his partner Nick!

And what's so impressive with him is his stroke. On TV it looks not as impressive as LIVE! Even a stop shot looks exceptional!

Can I go for Mika and Niels ~ let's mix the teams, hahaha... :thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I just don't understand the "gaffed" up break rule and where it originated. It seems to primarily benefit Europe . I'm not whining about it because it is what it is but that's a helluva way to lose a game when the breaker hits them hard makes a ball and has to turn the table over. It seems like more of a specialty shot that the euros specialize in. It's definitely not typical in American pool. I'm not taking away from their talent but talent alone is not where the advantage lays

Actually, in USA vs England, I think Earl was the best of the four with this break. Darren does not play the Eurotour and is not well versed in this break. The current rule is not to my liking. Nine on the spot, break from the box, no illegal break is the best, which is what they had at the last Mosconi. One on the spot, alternate break, is also OK, but still second best.

Still, any break rule with a neutral racker is better than anything rack your own.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one point it looked like Boyes complained about the rack and Michaela told him to go bugger.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I gotta give it up to Shane and Earl. They didn't win, but damn being down 5 racks ans coming back to tie it up in a scotch doubles format is seriously good stuff. As an American they made me proud. From here out I'll be rooting for Holland because I like Neils and I like that both Holland and The Netherlands are equally correct.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard time to find who is going to play first: England - Finland or Holland - Austria?

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the difference between Holland and The Netherlands?

Holland-vs-Netherlands.jpg

Holland (the red part on the map) really consist of two provinces (north and south Holland) that first made up an independent country that eventually became The Netherlands. People from other eastern, northern and southern provinces can take tiny offence when you call The Netherlands 'Holland' because to them Holland is just those two provinces, There is another pain behind it: The western of Holland has the biggest cities (The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam) and the people can be somewhat judgemental about the other provinces ("Only farmers live there"). Anyway, the best way to name this small country is by saying "The Netherlands", but "Holland" is widely accepted as well, since its also used in international trade and international sports.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Holland (the red part on the map) really consist of two provinces (north and south Holland) that first made up an independent country that eventually became The Netherlands. People from other eastern, northern and southern provinces can take tiny offence when you call The Netherlands 'Holland' because to them Holland is just those two provinces, There is another pain behind it: The western of Holland has the biggest cities (The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam) and the people can be somewhat judgemental about the other provinces ("Only farmers live there"). Anyway, the best way to name this small country is by saying "The Netherlands", but "Holland" is widely accepted as well, since its also used in international trade and international sports.

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering why Niels and Nick had "The Nederlands" written on their backs, and yet the scorecards read "Holland." As well, they call them the "Dutch." Very confusing.

Explaining the cultural or regional differences in the names is quite useful to me in my everyday job. Now I know. Thanks again! :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again, I'm so happy to have learned this. It is my duty this week to provide the Word of the Day on my industry forum, and in researching more about Holland, The Netherlands, Dutch, and The Nederlands, I came across the word "toponymy," which I made the Word of the Day for 9/28/2014 using this topic. :smile:

Here's a snippet of my Word of the Day thread:

When watching the World Cup of Pool yesterday via ESPN3, which is occurring in Portsmouth, England, I was curious about the Dutch team representing "The Nederland," which was written on their team jerseys.

toponymy
n.
Definition of TOPONYMY

1. the place-names of a region or language or especially the etymological study of them
Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Toponymy is the study of place names (toponyms), their origins, meanings, use and typology. The word "toponymy" is derived from the Greek words tópos (τ?πος) ("place") and ónoma (?νομα)("name"). Toponymy is itself a branch of onomastics, the study of names of all kinds.

What is the difference between The Netherlands and Holland? Let's discuss the toponymy.

The official name of the country is the (Kingdom of the) Netherlands, and The Netherlands consists of 12 provinces. Two of them, North and South Holland, are the two provinces that together make Holland. Due to the maritime and economic power of these provinces in the 17th century, The Netherlands became known worldwide as Holland.

"Netherlands" literally means "low countries" or "lowlands." Dutch neder and its English cognate nether both mean down(ward) or below. Nether or neder may have denoted the geographic characteristics of the land, both flat and down river.

I love this kind of talk, and it's helped me to understand The Netherlands much better. :D

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you like it, and thanks for spreading the word!

Havent seen an official confirmation of the two semi's yet. Matchroom says:

Sunday’s semi-final matches:
1:00 pm (GMT+0)
Holland v Austria
England A v Finland

So I assume Holland - Austria is first to play...

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, so it is England - Finland first and the Finnish start off with a 2 rack lead

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Should be fun. If Mika were to win this just a couple of weeks before his HOF induction, that would be quite a story.

Perhaps, though, it would be an even bigger story if Niels Feijen, who won the last World Pool Masters and the last World 9-ball Championship, added the World Cup of Pool to his trophy case.

This should be a good one.

Good luck to the four teams that remain.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
England 1 - Finland 2

Good break by England leaving the 2 potable, but making the shot will send the 3 flying. He makes the shot, but the 3 ends up bad. A missed bank leads to a (probably) fairly easy rack for Finland.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it wasn't for the point of the side pocket! Finlands gets odd shape on the 4 and leaves a two wya shot on the 5: 5 bank over the long rail and the cue ball caroms off it to pot the 7 in the corner. The bank is made and a few simple shots finish it of:

3-1

Finland to break, a legal break, but push out is needed...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
World Cup of Pool and the Ryder Cup. Who ever thought there would be two great sporting events to watch at 8:00 AM on a Sunday morning?