Women's World 10-Ball in NYC this year

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Given the low added money and the fact that no WPA Ranking points will be available, I think the presence of any of the Asian-based contingent is extremely unlikely and European based stars of women's pool such as Kelly Fisher and Jasmin Ouschan can't logically be expected.

Hoping for the best, but it seems likely that the field will consist of US-based players alone.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
some of the female players who are invited have sent a letter to Dragon / CW and raised some issues / asked some questions.

One of the questions was about the name of the tournament. That also seem to be one of the main concerns of WPA, so if thats changed - perhaps the tournament can be arranged without any further consequences for the players?

And no, I don't have a copy of the letter from the players :)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shanelle Lorriane is Asian. She aint too hard on the eyes too.

Eric

For the uninitiated this is Shanelle

shanelle-loraine-shooting.jpg

:D

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Must admit that I don't know what that means. Educate me.

Though she is "American", she is likely indigenous to the island vs being more Caucasian.

Hey , f_ it, she's cute. That's all I know.

Eric

Carolina Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears that the WPBA has pulled their 'sanction' since their logo is no longer in the upper left corner of the main graphic on the Facebook page. Good thing. At $10,000 added this "World Championship" pays out less added than a standard WPBA Classic Tour event which has $25,000 in added dough.

Promoters who over-hype events and hold cheap tournies that they call "Worlds" are just charlatans. If this is a 'World' event then the $25,000 added Turning Stone event must be the "2.5X Worlds". The WPBA could change all of their Classic Tour events to World Championships!

I am about to announce the $500 added Durham World Championships. It will be held either in mine or Fred's garage.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
The name of the tournament has been changed, so WPA is fine with it now - more or less..:
"4 November 2014

To All WPA Members

Dear All

You will recall my recent letter (dated 28 October) regarding an event proposed by Dragon Promotions to be called “Women’s World 10-Ball”.

I am able to inform you that I have received confirmation from Dragon Promotions that they have changed the name of their event to “Women’s International Pool Championship” and in doing so, the WPA no longer has any concern about this event being misconstrued as the world championship.

This means of course that players who choose to play can do so without any concern of retribution from the WPA for doing so. It must be clear to players however, that the WPA has no relationship to the event, nor does the WPA sanction it.

There are a few anomalies in Dragon’s Press Release that need to be mentioned, which include the following;

• It is not the 6th Annual International Pool Championship. This is the first time it has been played.

• The event was not formerly known as the Women’s World 10-Ball and produced in the Philippines. Dragon Promotions organized the WPA Women’s World 10-Ball Championship for five years in the Philippines. They are two different events. The world championship event had prize money of $85,000 and no entry fee with 48 players and carried WPA ranking points. This new event advertises total prize money of $43,440, a $520 entry fee and 64 players.

• Dragon Promotions are not bringing any event to the USA; this is a new event they are organizing in the USA.

I ask you to please pass this letter to the same recipients that you sent my 28th October letter to.

Thank you

Ian Anderson President"

BEAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last few years have been a complete joke for the women's tournaments in this country. One would think both the WPA and the WPBA would be doing more to support women's pool in the US. How many events have they held in the US in the last three years anyway? DP may not be perfect here. Yes, maybe the title needs to be changed. But at least they are trying to organize an event here in the US. How about the WPA and WPBA get more involved in helping and do less criticizing! A low money added tournament is better than no tournament!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last few years have been a complete joke for the women's tournaments in this country. One would think both the WPA and the WPBA would be doing more to support women's pool in the US. How many events have they held in the US in the last three years anyway? DP may not be perfect here. Yes, maybe the title needs to be changed. But at least they are trying to organize an event here in the US. How about the WPA and WPBA get more involved in helping and do less criticizing! A low money added tournament is better than no tournament!

But Dragon is the one that chooses to organize the event in a douche manner. Just look at the last WPA press release in how Dragon still tries to spin the event into something it is not. Walks like a douche, smells like a douche, is a d.....

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Wow

The name of the tournament has been changed, so WPA is fine with it now - more or less..:
"4 November 2014

To All WPA Members

Dear All

You will recall my recent letter (dated 28 October) regarding an event proposed by Dragon Promotions to be called “Women’s World 10-Ball”.

I am able to inform you that I have received confirmation from Dragon Promotions that they have changed the name of their event to “Women’s International Pool Championship” and in doing so, the WPA no longer has any concern about this event being misconstrued as the world championship.

This means of course that players who choose to play can do so without any concern of retribution from the WPA for doing so. It must be clear to players however, that the WPA has no relationship to the event, nor does the WPA sanction it.

There are a few anomalies in Dragon’s Press Release that need to be mentioned, which include the following;

• It is not the 6th Annual International Pool Championship. This is the first time it has been played.

• The event was not formerly known as the Women’s World 10-Ball and produced in the Philippines. Dragon Promotions organized the WPA Women’s World 10-Ball Championship for five years in the Philippines. They are two different events. The world championship event had prize money of $85,000 and no entry fee with 48 players and carried WPA ranking points. This new event advertises total prize money of $43,440, a $520 entry fee and 64 players.

• Dragon Promotions are not bringing any event to the USA; this is a new event they are organizing in the USA.

I ask you to please pass this letter to the same recipients that you sent my 28th October letter to.

Thank you

Ian Anderson President"

Didn't know Ian Anderson quit Jethro Tull to run the WPA but of course I am "Thick as a Brick"

Wedge