C.J. Wiley VS Keith McCready - What's The Line?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
a story from someone in Indianapolis, that's where we'll be playing

You're right, it would be better to get a story from someone in Indianapolis, that's where we'll be playing......I have played there, many, many years ago.

I live in indianapolis / 25 ta 30 years ago Doug Smith & big arm John sent for cj to come to town for some big action with Johnny Archer.......word was out all around the city there was going to be some big action @ bruces poolroom ......... Every pool player in the city and surrounding cities where there to watch these two players lock horns ........ one was a proven world champ Johnny Archer, and the other was the most feared road player around @ the time, CJ Wiley .........I watched every last bit of it every shot & i'm going to tell you what i seen was some of the best pool playing ive ever seen & the guy doing all this great shooting was none other than CJ Wiley............ He played Johnny 6 sets three sets on the bar box & three sets on the big track CJ won every set in one of the best shows ive ever seen ..... He made Johnny Archer say uncle!

Yep, does this guy really lend an air of credibility to anything?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Race to 25 even 9 ball on big table, I'll take CJ. On a BB I'll take CJ. On a BB with big CB...toss up IMO. Johnnyt

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
On a BB with big CB...toss up IMO. Johnnyt

That Big Cue Ball is another world. Omaha John showed me how "Surfer Rod" double kissed balls in. I practiced this technique, and on new cloth could "double kiss" a ball from (close to the rail) one diamond by the side pocket all the way down to the corner.

Talk about a "road shot," when you make this one on someone there first instinct is to just quit.....so I wouldn't advice using it unless the money's "locked up". ;) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Race to 25 even 9 ball on big table, I'll take CJ. On a BB I'll take CJ. On a BB with big CB...toss up IMO. Johnnyt

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're right, it would be better to get a story from someone in Indianapolis, that's where we'll be playing......I have played there, many, many years ago.

Quote:
I live in indianapolis / 25 ta 30 years ago Doug Smith & big arm John sent for cj to come to town for some big action with Johnny Archer.......word was out all around the city there was going to be some big action @ bruces poolroom ......... Every pool player in the city and surrounding cities where there to watch these two players lock horns ........ one was a proven world champ Johnny Archer, and the other was the most feared road player around @ the time, CJ Wiley .........I watched every last bit of it every shot & i'm going to tell you what i seen was some of the best pool playing ive ever seen & the guy doing all this great shooting was none other than CJ Wiley............ He played Johnny 6 sets three sets on the bar box & three sets on the big track CJ won every set in one of the best shows ive ever seen ..... He made Johnny Archer say uncle! ...

Perhaps the writer has his time frame off a bit? 25 to 30 years ago (1984-1989), Johnny would have been between 16 and 21 and you would have been between 20 and 25. I don't think Johnny was "a proven world champ" at that point.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the writer has his time frame off a bit? 25 to 30 years ago, Johnny would have been between 16 and 21 and you would have been between 20 and 25. I don't think Johnny was "a proven world champ" at that point.

And certaily no where near his prime

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
voted "The Best Player of the 90s".

Tournament players weren't respected half as much as money players in this day. Johnny Archer is one of the few that won major titles that also would put up his money and gamble.....and gamble well, besides me he won more than anyone on the road traveling city to city, town to town. I actually went to play him in his home town the first time and gave him the "7 Ball"....even then I could tell he was going to be a SuperStar....and he was also voted "The Best Player of the 90s".

Johnny Archer is tried and true, even to this day he can beat anyone in the country. At the 2012 he won 6 out of 6 matches. Does anyone know how difficult this is in London?

Perhaps the writer has his time frame off a bit? 25 to 30 years ago, Johnny would have been between 16 and 21 and you would have been between 20 and 25. I don't think Johnny was "a proven world champ" at that point.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What you trying to say? That they still weren't good players?

For what it's worth, I could have beaten both of them 45 years ago...of course they would have been about 3 years old at that time...but a win is a win!

Aloha

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Makin Bacon"

What, you don't like my "Makin Bacon" hat and boots?

431813_661499550542751_1666076023_n.jpg

i thought this thread was about CJ Wiley v Keith McCready rematch?
i believe it needs to happen, if for no other reason - HISTORY. they need to be documented, as two of "The Greats". Life's short.

and to sweeten the pot.... i'll throw-in my hat AND matching lizard boots! if CJ loses, i want to see this: :yikes:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Cj - we all know it has been 2006? since Keith last played, gambling or otherwise.

When was the last time you seriously (5k or more) gambled with someone? Just curious

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
New Orleans for 5k, but that's "betting cheap" at Buffalo's Billiards.

Vivian V - we played two, $5000 sets this year. As you know, I would have played for 5k a game up where you're at, just couldn't get the game right. Gambling has dwindled down considerably, most of the big money games are held privately, the general public is never informed. My preference is to play someone in their house, on their "home" table, there's far less problems and distractions.

Cj - we all know it has been 2006? since Keith last played, gambling or otherwise.

When was the last time you seriously (5k or more) gambled with someone? Just curious

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Vivian V - we played two, $5000 sets this year. As you know, I would have played for 5k a game up where you're at, just couldn't get the game right. Gambling has dwindled down considerably, most of the big money games are held privately, the general public is never informed. My preference is to play someone in their house, on their "home" table, there's far less problems and distractions.

Maybe you will make another trip up here.

And I agree on home games. Besides the spot you were at, we have a 3 1/2 x 8 (yes those are the dimensions) that gets more action on it than any other table in the area.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the weight CJ? If thats too personal, I understand. Just curious.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think she was giving him the break, BIH after the break, the last three balls, and two to one on the money....but that is just a rumor.

LOL. Just kidding, but I was going to ask the same question.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What you trying to say? That they still weren't good players?

For what it's worth, I could have beaten both of them 45 years ago...of course they would have been about 3 years old at that time...but a win is a win!

Aloha

Nah, they certainly were both terrific players at young ages. I think CJ has said that he pretty much gave up the road for tournaments in 1991 (when he would have been about 26), so his Indianapolis match-up with Archer might have occurred before that. Archer was playing pro events in his teens, but won his first one in 1991. His first world championship was in 1992.

With all the talk of hustling, gambling, road players, reality shows, etc., what is the "line" if there is a match of CJ playing Keith in a long race of 2-foul, old-school 9-ball?

Both of them are still capable of hitting the balls rather smartly, given enough notice and practice.

I'd be interested in hearing who people think may take home the cheese if this could be set up and played out.

Aloha.
The "underdog" has clearly stated that he needs to be staked at the game and he'll start out the negotiations with him going to 20 while Mr. Wonderful goes to 25. I guess online poker gambling is really profitable but, of course, my girl doesn't go to work everyday while I sleep in.

ONB

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
This match was for a total of $100,000....we haven't seen that duplicated in a while

The first game we played was "the 6/7,and the Last 4".....she beat me, then we adjusted and I managed to get even......she's a great player, at times she plays better than me.

I believe Vivian, and I played a match on ESPN for more than anyone in history (on ESPN).

Click here to see some highlights from that match....

I was told by Gary Morgenstern (the producer) over 2.8 Million people viewed this world-wide.... 600 international hours of exposure overall (app).

This match was for a total of $100,000....we haven't seen that duplicated in a while. ;)