PAT 1 Standard Shot 1 - Basement Training Video

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PAT 1 -standard shot 1-
41 out of 51 - 80%

https://youtu.be/BKsElzNNtrI

Last night, my 9-yr old son took my phone and captured some video. I apologize for the shakey camera and limited video range, but it's nice to finally analyze the stroking technique and pacing from a 3rd person point of view.

When I practice the standard shots from the PAT material, I'll take all 15 balls and try to get through them on one set-up then switch sides. This year, I wanted to focus on fundamentals more than anything. Keeping still! Focused on my breathing patterns also.

So repetition is key. I try to average 5 shots a minute of seriously focused proper mechanics. For the standard shot 1, Finding center ball and holding it at center table-stop shot is the target for this drill. (Not all shots lined up perfectly so there is some cue ball deviation left or right on some shots)

And the equipment keeps me honest: 9 foot gold crown II, with modified pockets 4 1/4" corners.

Thanks for watching...The final 3 minutes I was happy with the fundamentals.

Edit:
PAT Level 2 Standard Shot #2 video link: https://youtu.be/NzmWf8krh-g

Edit 2:

Some more training videos:

https://youtu.be/6kyWz9li6jU

and

https://youtu.be/dJFS_Fb_CuM - Trying for a perfect run at the Lee Brett Snooker Drill on video. Complete the drill with one miss in attempt #3

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
PAT 1 -standard shot 1-
41 out of 51 - 80%

https://youtu.be/BKsElzNNtrI

Last night, my 9-yr old son took my phone and captured some video. I apologize for the shakey camera and limited video range, but it's nice to finally analyze the stroking technique and pacing from a 3rd person point of view.

When I practice the standard shots from the PAT material, I'll take all 15 balls and try to get through them on one set-up then switch sides. This year, I wanted to focus on fundamentals more than anything. Keeping still! Focused on my breathing patterns also.

So repetition is key. I try to average 5 shots a minute of seriously focused proper mechanics. For the standard shot 1, Finding center ball and holding it at center table-stop shot is the target for this drill. (Not all shots lined up perfectly so there is some cue ball deviation left or right on some shots)

And the equipment keeps me honest: 9 foot gold crown II, with modified pockets 4 1/4" corners.

Thanks for watching...The final 3 minutes I was happy with the fundamentals.

If you are focusing on your fundamentals, you should not be using the cue ball.

randyg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Videos for mechanics analysis need to be framed on the player and not the whole shot.

How do you feel about elbow drop?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Videos for mechanics analysis need to be framed on the player and not the whole shot.

How do you feel about elbow drop?

Yes, I wish I had more of myself in frame for better analysis. I need to get a better video camera, my current phone has a limited camera lens even with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. What would be ideal is a split camera set-up, one focused on the player, the other on the table.

I have worked with coach Lee Brett in rebuilding my stance and approach to the shot, the elbow drop became more natural for me on the follow through in keeping the cue level as well as adding some power and accuracy.

Up until last December, my stance was more traditional (Mark Wilsons book) with left foot forward, right leg straight, and elbow up and locked (no elbow drop).
After working with Lee, I was shown how I was out of balance and uncomfortable in the shot. Worked on left foot out to the side more instead of out front, which opened the hips up to the table, legs bent in an athletic stance, and now with V Grip/elbow drop on the follow through.

I've had positive results from the changes, and I'm happy with the progression.

So you should be. Nice shooting. That kind of drill is great for developing timing and learning how to get straight through the ball.

Don't worry about dropping your elbow during follow through.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you should be. Nice shooting. That kind of drill is great for developing timing and learning how to get straight through the ball.

Don't worry about dropping your elbow during follow through.

Thanks for watching, Ron. Over the last few years, I've really studied the pros up close - the elbow drop after the hit was almost universal in the delivery of Shane, Dechaine, Darren and Niels.

Lee described it as "getting through the ball strong" and it feels so right. Before I was hitting my chest with my grip hand by keeping the elbow locked, causing the cue to not get through completely.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a question?

This drill was referenced in another thread, as was the topic of how many balls a minute can one average when doing drills/playing on the way to hitting a million balls.

I believed that when I'm full into drills, five balls a minute is attainable but gets very exhausting if the shots are approached correctly . Pre shot routine, breathing, and proper mechanics. In the video I take 51 shots in just over ten minutes, I really don't think with solo drills you can go much faster and have effective training.

I wanted to create this side thread so I could reference it when going back to previous discussions.

Not really a question as more of a reference to discuss topics such as HAMB, elbow drop, and PAT drills/stroke training drills.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for watching, Ron. Over the last few years, I've really studied the pros up close - the elbow drop after the hit was almost universal in the delivery of Shane, Dechaine, Darren and Niels.

Lee described it as "getting through the ball strong" and it feels so right. Before I was hitting my chest with my grip hand by keeping the elbow locked, causing the cue to not get through completely.

Causing the cue to not get through what completely?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This drill was referenced in another thread, as was the topic of how many balls a minute can one average when doing drills/playing on the way to hitting a million balls.

I believed that when I'm full into drills, five balls a minute is attainable but gets very exhausting if the shots are approached correctly . Pre shot routine, breathing, and proper mechanics. In the video I take 51 shots in just over ten minutes, I really don't think with solo drills you can go much faster and have effective training.

I wanted to create this side thread so I could reference it when going back to previous discussions.

Not really a question as more of a reference to discuss topics such as HAMB, elbow drop, and PAT drills/stroke training drills.

Why not insert the video into the actual discussions?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not really understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. Is it shooting the shots correctly, or is it seeing how fast you can shoot them in a goal to get to a million balls?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Causing the cue to not get through what completely?

Through the cue ball.

On some shots, with a locked elbow (I'll use Mark Wilson's book for example which instructs to keep elbow locked and raised), on the follow-through, the tip of the cue will contact the cue ball and finish low on the table.

I emailed Mark about this, and my concern for when hitting center-high or even center cue ball, the tip of the cue is still on a slight downward angle, unless you have an elbow drop after the impact.

Mr. Wilson replied that it is natural for the cue tip to drop after the shot on all shots - and it's normal with his version of proper stroking mechanics.

But after incorporating an elbow drop into my mechanics, the stroke just felt more natural and the cue ball was behaving better for me.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Through the cue ball.

On some shots, with a locked elbow (I'll use Mark Wilson's book for example which instructs to keep elbow locked and raised), on the follow-through, the tip of the cue will contact the cue ball and finish low on the table.

I emailed Mark about this, and my concern for when hitting center-high or even center cue ball, the tip of the cue is still on a slight downward angle, unless you have an elbow drop after the impact.

Mr. Wilson replied that it is natural for the cue tip to drop after the shot on all shots - and it's normal with his version of proper stroking mechanics.

But after incorporating an elbow drop into my mechanics, the stroke just felt more natural and the cue ball was behaving better for me.

When one doesn't drop the elbow, the cue stays level for about 2-3 inches after contact, then drastically drops down. However, since the tip of the cue is off the cb after app. 1/8" of cb travel, whatever the tip does after that has no effect whatsoever on the cb.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not really understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. Is it shooting the shots correctly, or is it seeing how fast you can shoot them in a goal to get to a million balls?

Shooting the shots correctly in a steady rhythm - keeping all mechanics, pre-shot routine/cue ball address the same.

But after watching the video - and keeping the time per shot average, I was reminded of a similar conversation in a prior HAMB thread about the realistic expectations of 5 shots per minute average.

If I go through all 9 Standard Shots in Ralph Eckert's PAT1 curriculum, 15 shots from both sides - 30 total. That's 270 shots. At 5 shots per minute average, that's 54 minutes of shooting time. My realization is that I have to continue to be militant in my log keeping for training - that if i am on the table for 2.5 hours, I can only log 2 hours in the book if I want each of my training hours to represent 5 shots per minute average. (the extra time being taken up by shot set-up, taking a break/drink of whatever, etc)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When one doesn't drop the elbow, the cue stays level for about 2-3 inches after contact, then drastically drops down. However, since the tip of the cue is off the cb after app. 1/8" of cb travel, whatever the tip does after that has no effect whatsoever on the cb.

I can see your point, and I think there is an x-factor which is a person's physical proportions. That's the only way I can explain it in my experience - maybe because I'm a bit taller, with a locked elbow, maybe my cue was coming in at even the slightest millimeter of down angle on impact because I was never able to go 41 for 51 on that type of drill before incorporating elbow drop. The most I had in a row with locked elbow was 3 or 4. After elbow drop was incorporated, my record was 17 in a row.

Over the last year, i made it a point to watch Shane or Niels (who are of similar height and physical build to me) on how they follow through on super long shots which require accurate power (not just a slow roll) and both of them have an elbow drop.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting the shots correctly in a steady rhythm - keeping all mechanics, pre-shot routine/cue ball address the same.

But after watching the video - and keeping the time per shot average, I was reminded of a similar conversation in a prior HAMB thread about the realistic expectations of 5 shots per minute average.

If I go through all 9 Standard Shots in Ralph Eckert's PAT1 curriculum, 15 shots from both sides - 30 total. That's 270 shots. At 5 shots per minute average, that's 54 minutes of shooting time. My realization is that I have to continue to be militant in my log keeping for training - that if i am on the table for 2.5 hours, I can only log 2 hours in the book if I want each of my training hours to represent 5 shots per minute average. (the extra time being taken up by shot set-up, taking a break/drink of whatever, etc)

I think you would be better served by not worrying about the time at all, but instead making sure the balls are actually straight in, and that the cb stops dead with no spin on it. When the ob and cb are at a slight angle, you can't get a true read on exactly what happened. If you are training, pocketing the ball is only a portion of what one should be checking. You can mishit the ball and still make it, thereby learning nothing.

You want your practice sessions to be maximized to get the most benefit from them. If you set them up dead straight in, you can tell if your aim was off, and if you didn't actually hit the cb exactly where you intended to hit it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see your point, and I think there is an x-factor which is a person's physical proportions. That's the only way I can explain it in my experience - maybe because I'm a bit taller, with a locked elbow, maybe my cue was coming in at even the slightest millimeter of down angle on impact because I was never able to go 41 for 51 on that type of drill before incorporating elbow drop. The most I had in a row with locked elbow was 3 or 4. After elbow drop was incorporated, my record was 17 in a row.

Over the last year, i made it a point to watch Shane or Niels (who are of similar height and physical build to me) on how they follow through on super long shots which require accurate power (not just a slow roll) and both of them have an elbow drop.

If not dropping the elbow, one must make sure that the tip is very near the cb at address. (the forearm hanging straight down) Many start with tip several inches back from the cb, and then you get tip drop before contact with the cb.

On the other side of the coin, if your alignment is a little off, it will show up more with the pinned elbow. The reason being that with the massive elbow drop, one can steer the cue down that long straight line easier. But, in the long run, it also can be less accurate. Your goal should be stopping the cb dead, and keeping the cb within one balls width of the dead spot. The optimum goal is to stop it dead with zero spin on it. (almost impossible to do reapeatably)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you would be better served by not worrying about the time at all, but instead making sure the balls are actually straight in, and that the cb stops dead with no spin on it. When the ob and cb are at a slight angle, you can't get a true read on exactly what happened. If you are training, pocketing the ball is only a portion of what one should be checking. You can mishit the ball and still make it, thereby learning nothing.

You want your practice sessions to be maximized to get the most benefit from them. If you set them up dead straight in, you can tell if your aim was off, and if you didn't actually hit the cb exactly where you intended to hit it.

Excellent input, Niel - I will make adjustments on that and take it into account.
Thanks for watching as well.

The only thing i really use time for is just to give me a general figure of measurement of how I'm doing. I just got a chuckle out of imagining using a 3 minute shot clock with a buzzer for 15 balls.

Luc Salvas would be impressed :grin-square:

I think there is a lot of value in hitting balls at a faster rhythm.

First, it will give a better feel about how much of the shot clock one is actually using if they play tourneys where that matters.

Second, it can be beneficial to figuring out how many shots were actually taken, a person will know after a session whether they were close to their fast speed or not.

Third, I don't believe in needing to practice perfection on every shot. There is a lot of value in pushing oneself in a practice session, what Cardigan did here was likely to put a certain pressure upon himself that he probably doesn't usually get while practicing alone.

Tied into the third point, missing can teach one as much or more than pocketing if a person is willing to figure out why he missed. I usually want to play as much as possible when my game is off precisely because I believe that my 'slump', as some would call it, is me being on the verge of learning something new. Thus, I want to be at the table as much as possible.

Finally, when I play at a fast pace, I don't notice anything but the table. Whether it is because I am playing fast that I don't notice things that aren't at the table, or if it is because I don't notice things that I play fast depends on the situation. There have been times when I didn't notice anything but the table and the shot where I found out that I have played fast. There are other times where I forced myself to play fast so I could tune everything else out. It's amazing what a heightened level of concentration is capable of allowing.

I read about a study once where they studied the effect of speeding up the pace of a task. They had people who were proficient at the task and people who were newer to the task. The newer people saw a huge drop-off in their performance when they were forced to speed up. The proficient people saw almost no change in performance when they sped up.