More camera help - video

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A video camera that shoots well in low light. I want to possibly record a One Pocket game or lesson to review. To see what was done right/wrong,etc. iPhones are no good.... Would need to record for an hour or so. The Go-Pro was suggested but I'll take other recommendations. I currently have a camcorder with mini tape. I hate it. Would like a camera with a card or hard drive. Simple to use. Thanks. Frank

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A video camera that shoots well in low light. I want to possibly record a One Pocket game or lesson to review. To see what was done right/wrong,etc. iPhones are no good.... Would need to record for an hour or so. The Go-Pro was suggested but I'll take other recommendations. I currently have a camcorder with mini tape. I hate it. Would like a camera with a card or hard drive. Simple to use. Thanks. Frank

Get a handycam with an SD card. You can pull it out and stick it in your desktop (maybe, depending on your desktop).

I got a Panasonic V770k which might be overkill. I like the manual focus so it doesn't do that annoying focus hunt thing. You can put 16 hours on a single card (64GB), recording continuously (but you need a power outlet for the AC adapter if you go beyond two hours).

The 770 can also do picture-in-picture getting the second picture from your smarty phone, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Canon 5 D mk II

This camera has made a ton of movies
I would think the 85mm 1.2 would be good for low light video lens
The opening title sequence for the 35th season of NBC's Saturday Night Live, first broadcast on 26 September 2009. The camera, alongside the Canon 7D, was used due to its size, which allowed covert shooting on the streets of New York City, and depth of field capabilities, making it a suitable substitute for the series' usual 35mm film.[20]
The documentary film the Conquest of High Passes directed by Wout Conijn and filmed by cinematographer Jean Counet has been shot on the Canon 5D Mark II. The documentary, broadcast on 26 November 2009 by Dutch public broadcaster BOS was shot in Tibet, without permission. The Conquest of High Passes was the first high end documentary being shot on a 5D Mark II in the Netherlands.[citation needed]
The music video for the Japanese band Sakanaction's song "Aruku Around" (2010),a winning entry of the 14th Japan Media Arts Festival, was shot in a single take with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera.[21][22]
The House episode "Help Me", broadcast by Fox on 17 May 2010, was shot entirely on the Canon 5D Mark II, replacing the drama's usual 35mm film format.[23][24][25] Portions of the seventh season were also recorded with a 5D Mark II.[26]
The BBC Two comedy series Shelfstackers, first broadcast on 4 September 2010, is the first BBC programme to use the camera. The corporation had initially refused its use due to "lack of quality" but were persuaded otherwise by the series' director, Dom Bridges. All six episodes of the series were shot on the camera for a total budget of £160,000.[27]
The Road to Coronation Street, broadcast by BBC Four on 16 September 2010, is the first UK television drama to be shot on the Canon 5D Mark II. The drama's director of photography was impressed and plans to use the camera on the seventh series of the BBC One drama Hustle.[28]
The 2011 short film Scenes from the Suburbs directed by Spike Jonze used a version of the camera modified to use Panavision lenses to shoot all of the night scenes alongside 35mm film used for the day scenes.[29]
The resurrected Hawaii Five-0 TV series is currently shot using Canon 5DmkII.[30]
Dutch public Broadcaster VPRO's documentary series Backlight used the 5D Mark II for the first time on Bregtje van der Haak's award winning documentary California Dreaming. Cinematographer Jean Counet used both Canon's 5D Mark II and the 7D for the first time for this prime time documentary series changing its regular use of its Sony XDCAM broadcast cameras into DSLRs and EOS cinema cameras.[citation needed]
Behzat Ç. Bir Ankara Polisiyesi, a Turkish TV series is being shot on Canon 5DmkII.[31]
The 2012 film Act of Valor was shot with the use of the Canon 5D Mark II.[32]
Dimensions, a multi-award winning 2012 British period sci-fi feature film, was shot using Canon 5D Mark II for 'less than the price of Batman's cape'.[33]
Marvel's The Avengers is reported to have some Canon 5D MkII shots.[34]
Department, a 2012 Bollywood movie, is reported to have been shot using Canon 5D Mark II[35]
ParaNorman, a 2012 3D stop-motion animated adventure horror film produced by LAIKA, Inc., was shot on sixty Canon 5D Mark II cameras.[36]
Nirel, First International Tulu movie, directed by Ranjith Bajpe, is reported to have been shot using Canon 5D Mark II.[37]
Escape from Tomorrow, a 2013 feature film, was shot guerilla-style with two Canon 5D Mark II cameras at the Disney theme parks.[38]

Third party production rigs and lenses[edit]

Several aftermarket vendors have developed professional video accessory packages, to take advantage of the large 35mm sensor, which provided cinema-like depth of field. Redrock Micro and Zacuto are two of these.[citation needed]

For 3D video shooting Anachrome 3D is offering several dual camera mount packages, which make use of several short focal length Canon prime lenses. Specialized "shifting prisms" compensate for the "too wide" spacing of the pair of cameras. By inverting one of the cameras, the spacing is further reduced. Sync issues are also addressed in these 3D packages, with a "sync comparator" as "gen-locking" two 5DM2s is not readily do-able at this early stage.[citation needed]

A company in Los Angeles, CA, Hot Rod Cameras, is offering cinema style PL lens mounts, which will allow a few of the larger cinema lenses used on Arriflex film cameras to be fitted to the 5DM2. The sensor is actually the size of two motion picture 35mm frames, similar to a 20th-century wide-screen process promoted by Paramount Studios, Called "Vista-Vision". This was 35mm film, run horizontally through the taking camera, using twice the area of a normal 35mm cine frame.[citation needed]

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a gopro to video pool and my practice sessions. I definitely would NOT recommend it to anyone else.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The lens is only 1900.00 without shipping.
The used 5 d mk II can be had for about 1 k
Figure another 700.00 for a tripod and gimble another 500 for cheap lighting.

mmike i am sure it is a great camera but alittle pricey for me
(even tho i would spent that much on a cue...:smile:
go figure)

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cameras

All of my canon cameras do video.

Buy a used canon T3i or a t4i or a T5I or a T6I all of them do great video and you can use the normal photography lenses .

A high speed 64g memory card is going to cost a couple hundred.

The memory card for my 5 D Mk II ran 499.00 bucks .

Pool is a cheap hobby compared to photography and making decent video.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
photography

mmike i am sure it is a great camera but alittle pricey for me
(even tho i would spent that much on a cue...:smile:
go figure)

2k is a drop in a bucket for camera gear ........................................

I love doing photography but allot of the time its nothing less then hard work .
Most of my pictures are not profession level.
I really got into photography because of the pool cues I was selling.

I got into my 5 D mk II gripped for 1500.00 used , body had less the 5k actuations .

Does some killer pictures .

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use my LG G4 phone. It has a terrific photo/video capability. And I made a little mounting contraption from part of a selfie stick and some go-pro type connectors and I can clip it up anywhere you can clip a spring clip. And the whole shebang fits in my cue case.

The video quality is about as good as I could want. It used a (32 gig) micro-SD card for storage, and since the phone charges via USB it is easy to attach a fully charged usb power block to the phone to get hours and hours of video time. The only limit is I have to restart the video every 45 minute or so because that is when the file size maxes out at the 4 Gig limit.

The one thing I cannot tell you is how it does in lower light, since the place I play is well lit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of my canon cameras do video.

Buy a used canon T3i or a t4i or a T5I or a T6I all of them do great video and you can use the normal photography lenses .
The problem with the T3i is that it can only do a 30-minute video without being restarted. Also, you need to buy the AC adapter kit (which replaces the battery) to allow a long enough record time.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
2k is a drop in a bucket for camera gear ........................................

I love doing photography but allot of the time its nothing less then hard work .
Most of my pictures are not profession level.
I really got into photography because of the pool cues I was selling.

I got into my 5 D mk II gripped for 1500.00 used , body had less the 5k actuations .

Does some killer pictures .

dude....explain this pic....whats the wood? andwhat is the contraption? beautiful.....

that searing video and all the stuff i been filming which i find is more than good enough for matches an such. esp with a mic.......i got the canon vixia hf r60....it comes with 8gb mem internal...i picked up a few 90mbs 128gb sd cards at best buy that were on sale....a nice HD web cam and two monfrotto tripods, a 70" and a little mini 8".....$5 less then the go pro and i can zoom.....

i dont even know how to use the chit and it works fine.....my aunt does photography and marcus does video stuff but yea your right it can be a money pit like cue building and such.

for someone on a budget i spent right about 500 and am pretty happy. Video quality is great unless i mess up a setting lol. Havet even read the manual...no time for that :sorry:

the vid i did for the searing cue was with that. and everything new on my youtube including the match with alvin and kenny......i have chip and sleepy playing one pocket and some other matches i was working on commentating on and putting up.

i took this pic with the cam....caught dem lizards doing de nasty in ma plant....should make the cover of lizard hustler lol...the original is much better thats just copied from my FB...cam shoots 60fps, just not 4k though.

i tried the newest gopro but for what i need it for its really limited. great audio and video though no doubt. I had one of the little cannon action cams and like it alot as well for a 150 when i went skiing a few years back.

Attachments

• 12973197_10205866799324973_1018185997083180730_o.jpg
    12973197_10205866799324973_1018185997083180730_o.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,543
Last edited:

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what was so bad about the go pro??

The GoPro video that you shoot has to be reformatted on your computer which takes a long time. Also I believe the camera was designed to take small clips and make a montage. The creators of GoPro have referenced the difficulty of using their software as a reason for their drop in sales lately. All around I wouldn't recommend its use for a stationary "3rd person viewpoint". It seems like it would be great to get solo shots from a 1st person viewpoint but I find wearing a helmet shooting pool awkward. I think a 1st person viewpoint is really what this camera is designed for.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The GoPro video that you shoot has to be reformatted on your computer which takes a long time. Also I believe the camera was designed to take small clips and make a montage. The creators of GoPro have referenced the difficulty of using their software as a reason for their drop in sales lately. All around I wouldn't recommend its use for a stationary "3rd person viewpoint". It seems like it would be great to get solo shots from a 1st person viewpoint but I find wearing a helmet shooting pool awkward. I think a 1st person viewpoint is really what this camera is designed for.

thanks for the reply
i got your pm
thanks again

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cameras / Video

The problem with the T3i is that it can only do a 30-minute video without being restarted. Also, you need to buy the AC adapter kit (which replaces the battery) to allow a long enough record time.

Hi Bob

Hey straight up for you to put together a first class 1 hr video You are going to have to be one skill SOB .................................................................

Yes you are correct the T3i will only do 30 minute video then has to be restarted , Are you the lone ranger in this video ?
You should be running two to 3 cameras anyway , just like hollywooood.
If you are doing this on a shoe string you can make the canon T3I work .................
I don't think I could pull a first class video out of my @ss the first go around .....
I haven't done much video with my cameras , I have some really nice gear and I do my own photography on most everything I make and sale online.

I can tell you that the 5dII and the T3i will do the video........
You are going to have to put this all together.
And if I was there I would help you , with the equipment I have .
But I know nothing about doing video ...........
Photography isn't a plug it in turn it to auto mode and hit the go button and get award winning images.
And I cannot help to think video isn't on the same learning curve .

If I was you, I would join a forum called Photography on the net ( POTN )
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
Have you photographed any pool events ?
Anyway low lighting photography is tougher then what I was prepared for .

So when electromagnetic polarized waves ( light ) strike all non metallic smooth objects it creates polarized reflection AKA glare .
Look at the pool balls and the player is not in the direct lighting for the pool table ..
Exposure or lighting is going to be a issue ..........................

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... Exposure or lighting is going to be a issue ...... ...
Some of this can be taken care of after the fact with software. I have a program called Pinnacle that can adjust brightness and contrast and gamma. Mostly I use it to trim off the worthless ends. It can also greatly reduce the size of a video file by what resolution and format you save the video with. For the OP's purpose, it may be overkill.