Cue stolen out of box Priority Mail

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been denied twice for my claim, they state not enough info even though we have supplied a receipt from the cuemaker and the person I bought it from in 2008. Does this sound like how the USPS does business, keeps turning you down till you have had enough and hope you go away.
I paid and had it insured for $500, it looks like they would work with me better. I guess I need some good advice.
Thanks
Tom Harris

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I have been denied twice for my claim, they state not enough info even though we have supplied a receipt from the cuemaker and the person I bought it from in 2008. Does this sound like how the USPS does business, keeps turning you down till you have had enough and hope you go away.
I paid and had it insured for $500, it looks like they would work with me better. I guess I need some good advice.
Thanks
Tom Harris

Standard operating procedure for USPS, unfortunately. I have never had a successful claim with them, even with the local post master vouching for me. I only insure cues to make the recipient feel better, and hopefully to deter any sticky fingers.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Standard operating procedure for USPS, unfortunately. I have never had a successful claim with them, even with the local post master vouching for me. I only insure cues to make the recipient feel better, and hopefully to deter any sticky fingers.
Someone sent me a bunch of magazines in medium flat-rate priority boxes. Seams were broken on every box, three boxes disappeared completely, and one box arrived empty. I think the sender did finally collect, but not the full value -- just the $50/box that is standard.

The flat-rate boxes used to stronger. Now they seem to be made of tissue paper.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The more I see things like this here and on some of the Facebook billiards groups the more I think I'm going to travel to pick up my cue in person when it's finished.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I am sorry that you had your cue stolen. Isnt this a felony because its mail beside interstate commerce?? Certainly seems like there are USPS workers who had a pretty good idea what was in the box. It surprises me that an employee would have enough time alone with the package to steal the contents unless it was the driver on the first or last leg of the journey not to mention that someone then has to get it away from their place of employment.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
My advice in the future would be to use registered mail. I don't think anybody listens but I continue to give the same advice every time I see a thread like this.

How does registered mail stop a thief??

Nothing worse than a thief.

Kevin

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about this. Terrible thing. I just heard from a cue builder that my custom is finished and he will be shipping it out. I have read so many horror stories on here about shipping problems that I told him do not ship it. He is about 2 hours drive from me so I told him that I will come down and pick it up.
Hope things work out for you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, everything I've read on here indicates to me insurance is a scam. We'd probably all be better off shipping completely uninsured and pocketing the saved money.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USPS is just another example of what has become of many businesses these days. Not so long ago they could be counted on but now theft, damage, late or no deliveries are commonplace. Their money orders are also a nightmare. The USPS cannot even track them which makes finding a lost one just about impossible. Add to that it usually takes six weeks for them to find out if it is even lost or been cashed. Shipping has become quite a risk. Hope the OP can get some satisfaction....

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks to hear about your cue. I got burned by USPS last month for the first time. Reputable seller here sold me a shaft and it was never delivered. Tracking info states it was delivered and I looked everything for it with no luck. And our claim was denied since USPS states it was delivered.

If I had to guess, it was lost in transit or at the warehouse and I'll never see it.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the comments, I was also wondering if anyone has ever lost something in the mail with USPS and had it insured and actually received the insurance money that they paid for. If not something should be done about the post office running a SCAM like this, selling insurance with no intention to pay out if lost or stolen.

On another note, has anyone every lost something with UPS or Fed Ex and received money for their insurance claim.
Tom

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Did you check the weight on the slip what it weighed at shipping time against the empty box you got? johnnyt

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Thanks
Tom Harris

Here is what you have to do. First get a copy of the insurance policy. Yes, there is a formal policy in writing. I don't know if they have it online, or if you will have to request it from them, or whatever, but get a copy. Every insurance policy sold in the US will tell you exactly what kinds of things it covers, and under what circumstances. It will also tell you exactly what your obligations are to be able to collect for your loss, as far as what proof you need of the loss or damage, how long you have to file the claim, and things like that. Read it very carefully and make sure you understand it all completely.

Next ask whoever is handling your claim from the post office to tell you exactly and very specifically why your claim is being denied, and what they would further need in order to approve your claim.

Now compare what they are telling you to what the policy says. Does the policy actually agree with them? If it does, then you are out of luck because you only get the coverage you paid for, and you only paid for exactly what the policy says. And as much as it sucks it would really be your own fault for not reading the policy before buying it to know exactly what was covered under what circumstances and how it worked. Yes I know we don't have time to do all that (or don't want to take the time anyway) and most people don't do it but it's still our own fault. I mean it certainly isn't somebody else's fault when we don't bother to find out exactly what we are buying.

Does it appear that the policy is not in fact agreeing with them? Then tell them exactly what the policy says (they will have a copy at their desk as well so they can refer to it if they need to) and why your claim is in fact covered by the policy and how you met all the obligations on your end according to the policy in order to be able to collect. If they still aren't approving your claim, and you are positive that you have fully read and understood the policy and that your claim should in fact be covered, then ask to deal with a supervisor or another claims rep but not until you are absolutely certain you are not going to get anywhere with the original person you were dealing with. They will usually allow that but sometimes you have to push for it.

The final thing is that the policy may (or may not) have a section spelling out other options you have if you find yourself in just such a position where you just absolutely cannot come to an agreement and want to pursue it further. Arbitration is often one of these options where an impartial but qualified 3rd party hears both of your arguments and then rules in favor of one of you. Usually the insurance policy specifies that their decision is final and binding and you both have to live with it. Who has to pay what portion of their services, if any, varies and will also be spelled out in the policy (assuming it even offers arbitration or anything else along those lines). With a government agency like the post office there may not be any options like that. You certainly can't take them to small claims court.

JC

Coos Cues
my advice in the future would be to use registered mail. I don't think anybody listens but i continue to give the same advice every time i see a thread like this.

Jc

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
This may sound goofy, but speak to your local State representative, Senator or Assemblyman, The USPS does not want involvement from outside government people. They will do whatever they need to to make you happy and get rid of you. Trust me on this. My Godfather was the PostMaster over a large urban city. Like most government agencies, they have way more to hide than they do to brag about. They absolutely hate outside attention.

State (& local) level politicians thrive on doing "solids" for their constitiuents because happy constituents tell everyone their happy tale...which equals votes for the State level politician. It is their life-blood. I had a business issue with an insurance company. 1 call, boom, the insurance company couldn't do enough for me.

I wish you good luck in getting your cue back. It's a nice looking cue. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm looking at cues on eBay. Speaking of which, can you send them a proactive police report or something in case someone does try to sell the cue there?

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On another note, has anyone every lost something with UPS or Fed Ex and received money for their insurance claim.
Tom
In several prior jobs we shipped tens of thousands of boxes a week, mostly UPS, some fedex, and a few USPS (including the hybrid services) as well as LTL and FTL.

USPS by far lost the most items. UPS and Fedex would very, very occasionally lose one, but rarely. Most "lost" actually showed up later, having been damaged and rerouted to figure out for whom it was intended, e.g. from internal contents.

Even though USPS was cheapest, we used them only for tiny business-to-consumer items, like individual books or CD's. They are just not as reliable.

Can't comment on insurance claims, we self insured everything. But if I had to ship and expect it to arrive, I'd ship UPS (ground or air) with signature required. If I also wanted it to get the most gentle treatment I would ship Fedex air (not ground).

Another option that is very safe is both will allow you to ship "Hold for pickup" so that it has to be handed over by an actual UPS/Fedex employee (ship to a real UPS/Fedex facility -- (almost) none of the packing stores are owned by them nor are they real employees of the carrier, they are franchises). It travels in sealed and locked containers between facilities (no driver access), and never goes out on a route truck alone with a driver out of video range, nor sits on your doorstep waiting for you. Theft is still possible, but a lot less likely.