Best All Around Player=Robocop

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speculation?

What if they played, who is the best, etc. The very nature of pool will always lead to speculation on who is the best. None of them play each other enough to show a clear winner. One day this guy wins and the next day this guy wins, it never ends.

Shane is a very smart professional pool player and is consistently in the top earner category of reported earnings. He does all of this with out a backer as far as I know, but I am sure he has good sponsorship deals and invests his money wisely. He does not need to "gamble" with other peoples money to make a comfortable living.

I know of no other sport where the participants "gamble" against each other, in fact most sports prohibit it. Other sports compete for prize money or have a guaranteed salary and bonuses, yet many expect pool players to do it to prove who is the best. One match or an all around for 2 or 3 days may not prove any thing, unless your favorite happens to win that day. I prefer to look at the big picture, who has consistently won the most money in tournaments over the last 10 years?

Time is the test, who won most of the match ups between Dennis and Shane in the last 10 years? Shane does not need another Dennis beat down to cement his legacy in pool. His legacy is already in place and it is a good one.

About that hand shake, Shane has a good one, Dennis needs to work on his..........

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Orcullo and Shane last played an all around match up for TAR, Dennis won- he won the 10 ball and 1 pocket while Shane won the 8 ball

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
What if they played, who is the best, etc. The very nature of pool will always lead to speculation on who is the best. None of them play each other enough to show a clear winner. One day this guy wins and the next day this guy wins, it never ends.

Shane is a very smart professional pool player and is consistently in the top earner category of reported earnings. He does all of this with out a backer as far as I know and invests his money wisely. He does not need to "gamble" with other peoples money to make a comfortable living.

I know of no other sport where the participants "gamble" against each other, other sports compete for prize money or have a guaranteed salary and bonuses. Yet many expect pool players to do it to prove who is the best.

Time is the test, who won most of the match ups between Dennis and Shane in the last 10 years? Shane does not need another Dennis beat down to cement his legacy in pool. His legacy is already in place and it is a good one.

About that hand shake, Shane has a good one, Dennis needs to work on his..........
Many valid points.

Recent memory is SVB did not want to play Frost with out a ball. But, these guys beat Frost even up.

Based on that recollection, plus the beat down from the lion in one pocket in the big money match. Yes, they played again off camera and a got a little back.

Some know this information better than me. BUT, given the break and racking mechanic aspects of rotation pool. Most consider one pocket the only true measure of how great a player is!!!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is going to be a contest to find events where this player beat that player, then that player beat this player, why not go back to potty training, who was earliest? Only one time that can happen, so we can have a clear winner then. There is a 16 yr old Russian kid that beat both Shaw and Appleton in the same tournament in different events, if we go by that, since Shaw and Appleton have both beaten Dennis and SVB, that 16 yr old must be better than any of them.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your posts are getting nuttier and nuttier.

Time to start smoking crack.
If there is going to be a contest to find events where this player beat that player, then that player beat this player, why not go back to potty training, who was earliest? Only one time that can happen, so we can have a clear winner then. There is a 16 yr old Russian kid that beat both Shaw and Appleton in the same tournament in different events, if we go by that, since Shaw and Appleton have both beaten Dennis and SVB, that 16 yr old must be better than any of them.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really get into trying to rank the players but anybody who thinks Dennis is not one of the top few all around players on the planet must be blind lol

He clearly is in the top elite in both rotation and one pocket and as of his most recent finishes in one pocket tournaments and action i think he might just be the best one hole player on the planet right now.

Looking forward to the big action match with Tony vs Dennis

Would love to see Dennis vs Alex action match in one hole to see who the best on the planet is.

Cujopro

Registered
Ok...Well...Here are my 2cents. I think when we considered "who's the best" it really comes down to the game , format of the set , table size, who's playing better on that specific day...etc. Here are my picks

IMO The Best "ALL-AROUND" player has to be Alex Pagulayan.
If we're talking:
8-Ball
9-Ball
10-Ball
Straight Pool
One-Pocket
Banks
Snooker
I truly believe He's the best of this generation. Maybe since Efren Reyes and Nick Varner. Alex has the Knowledge , The Personality and The Heart of a Champion. Either Tournament or Gambling.

But.....Here's the problem with Alex P. I see him (sometimes) more as a Part-time pro. Has any Pro taken more time away from the game in the last 5-7 years. He plays , proves who the real king of the Jungle is (The Lion. lol) , then disappears for months at a time. Leads to inconsistency . But an "In shape" Alex is just as dangerous as anyone.

Dennis Orcollo:
Probably my fav player to watch. Dennis is a great Shotmaker and has INSANE cb control. Always seems to play the right patterns , and the correct angles no matter the game .Plays great under pressure with Rock solid Fundamentals. His stroke is so effortless it allows him to play for hours without getting tired. I see him as someone that just wants to be at the table and play , play and play (whatever the game).
The only Knock on Dennis (to me) , is that he doesn't have the heart that Alex has. He's fine when ahead , but when he's way behind (which is rare) doesn't have that "Never say die" attitude.

Shane Van Boening:
What else can be said about this guy that hasn't been said already. SVB is a GODDAMN MACHINE. By far The Best American player over the last decade. They say he dominates like a young Johnny Archer , but I think he's way better than Johnny was. Not Knocking Archer's greatness, but did Johnny play One-pocket or Banks the way Shane does. For those that think SVB is just a "BIG BREAKER" , how would he still win the all-around at Derby ...twice. Is an INSANE shotmaker (Yes I put him as a better shotmaker than DO , but DO has a better cb) , and is FEARLESS. That's probably what is so great about Shane...he will get in the ring with ANYONE.
Dude has 5 U.S Open 9-ball championships , had a 72% winning percentage when TAR was around , won 7/7 or 8/8 money matches in the Philippines (How many Americans can say that). Is Probably the Best Bar table player around. And finally...does anyone really want a piece of SVB in a race to 100. NOPE.
(Hmmm....Can the South Dakota kid possibly be the best American player EVER?) Just a thought . But that's a question for another thread . lol

Anyways....these are my three choices for the Best All-around , what are yours?

Honorable Mention
Francisco Bustamante May not be in his prime anymore. Can play any game . But it's still not safe to bet against him . Still a Beast at 50+

Mika Immonen
Darren Appleton
Thorsten Hohmann
(I group these three together cause they're all great at 8-ball,9-ball,10-ball and Straight pool. But not on the same level in One-pocket or Banks as my top three)

PEACE !

Last edited:

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane does not beat Dennis at everything. 9 ball & 10 ball MAYBE because his break. He breaks better, gets more shots on the 1 ball, & has easier outs on average. I would say all games Dennis & Alex are 1 & 2. Right now D.O. I think is playing the best pool.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzBilliards money list isn't accurate either. Some players get invited to 5 tournaments a year that you get guaranteed money just to show up. Some players play every single event and obviously will make more then someone that doesn't go to every Turningstone, Derby, or doesn't get invited to Make it Happen or Mosconi Cup.

Between the top 20 players in world you cannot tell who is better unless they played everyday for a month in different games.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Dennis O.is the best all around player in the world. I see a lot of tournaments that aren't filling up lately. Could some players be ducking Dennis? Johnnyt

its only June but this might be the worst post of the year.

What tournaments arent filling up lately? 2k entry?the pac west 10 ball was full of top pros as is the west coast swing. Whos ducking who?

Dennis is fantastic player behind svb an alex

he beat frost whom alex smoked twice and lets be honest thorpe would beat right now

SVB has drilled dennis so many times its not fair, ffor the cheese and tournament play

oh and dennis said himself on his interview before frost match that shane was the best all round player in world

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis is the best, now. Somebody was better, before. Someone will be better, next...
its only June but this might be the worst post of the year.

What tournaments arent filling up lately? 2k entry?the pac west 10 ball was full of top pros as is the west coast swing. Whos ducking who?

Dennis is fantastic player behind svb an alex

he beat frost whom alex smoked twice and lets be honest thorpe would beat right now

SVB has drilled dennis so many times its not fair, ffor the cheese and tournament play

oh and dennis said himself on his interview before frost match that shane was the best all round player in world

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot imagine why. Shane put such a beat down on him when they played 10 ball that I have never seen anything like it. They should have skipped the last day. Dennis was out of his league. Also, I don`t believe Dennis really wants to plat Shane 9 ball or 1 pocket. When they played in the US Open finals Shane wiped him out. I also watched Shane take him out playing 1 pocket at Hard Times. Dennis can`t play Shaw 10 ball either. I don`t see him being the best at anything.
First off Shane wants no part of him in one pocket so get off that pipe dream ,,10 ball I'll give it to him he's a better breaker.9 ball could go either way ,, Shaw on the other hand needs to get past Justin before he fools with the likes of Dennis ,, what I'd really like to see is DO get rested for these matches this guy grinds like no other I think he runs out of gas sometimes

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that is good stuff...right down there.
Ok...Well...Here are my 2cents. I think when we considered "who's the best" it really comes down to the game , format of the set , table size...etc. Here are my picks

IMO The Best "ALL-AROUND" player has to be Alex Pagulayan.
If we're talking:
8-Ball
9-Ball
10-Ball
Straight Pool
One-Pocket
Banks
Snooker
I truly believe He's the best of this generation. Maybe since Efren Reyes and Nick Varner. Alex has the Knowledge , The Personality and The Heart of a Champion. Either Tournament or Gambling.

But.....Here's the problem with Alex P. I see him (sometimes) more as a Part-time pro. Has any Pro taken more time away from the game in the last 5-7 years. He plays , proves who the real king of the Jungle is (The Lion. lol) , then disappears for months at a time. Leads to inconsistency . But an "In shape" Alex is just as dangerous as anyone.

Dennis Orcollo:
Probably my fav player to watch. Dennis is a great Shotmaker and has INSANE cb control. Always seems to play the right patterns , and the correct angles no matter the game .Plays great under pressure with Rock solid Fundamentals. His stroke is so effortless it allows him to play for hours without getting tired. I see him as someone that just wants to be at the table and play , play and play (whatever the game).
The only Knock on Dennis (to me) , is that he doesn't have the heart that Alex has. He's fine when ahead , but when he's way behind (which is rare) doesn't have that "Never say die" attitude.

Shane Van Boening:
What else can be said about this guy that hasn't been said already. SVB is a GODDAMN MACHINE. By far The Best American player over the last decade. They say he dominates like a young Johnny Archer , but I think he's way better than Johnny was. Not Knocking Archer's greatness, but did Johnny play One-pocket or Banks the way Shane does. For those that think SVB is just a "BIG BREAKER" , how would he still win the all-around at Derby ...twice. Is an INSANE shotmaker (Yes I put him as a better shotmaker than DO , but DO has a better cb) , and is FEARLESS. That's probably what is so great about Shane...he will get in the ring with ANYONE.
Dude has 5 U.S Open 9-ball championships , had a 72% winning percentage when TAR was around , won 7/7 or 8/8 money matches in the Philippines (How many Americans can say that). Is Probably the Best Bar table player around. And finally...does anyone really want a piece of SVB in a race to 100. NOPE.
(Hmmm....Can the South Dakota kid possibly be the best American player EVER?) Just a thought . But that's a question for another thread . lol

Anyways....these are my three choices for the Best All-around , what are yours?

Honorable Mention
Francisco Bustamante May not be in his prime anymore. Can play any game . But it's still not safe to bet against him . Still a Beast at 50+

Mika Immonen
Darren Appleton
Thorsten Hohmann
(I group these three together cause they're all great at 8-ball,9-ball,10-ball and Straight pool. But not on the same level in One-pocket or Banks as my top three)

PEACE !

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane does not beat Dennis at everything. 9 ball & 10 ball MAYBE because his break. He breaks better, gets more shots on the 1 ball, & has easier outs on average. I would say all games Dennis & Alex are 1 & 2. Right now D.O. I think is playing the best pool.
I'd have to agree , if DO puts the time in the breaks he might be unbeatable on the list mentioned, however Wu is the best player on the planet in rotation games and 8 ball it is scary to think how good of one pocket player he would be and zero doubt he would be the best snooker player as well , simply put he has the best talent on the planet bar none