Best "SOFT" layered tip

Rackattach

Banned
Price aside what's the best SOFT layered tip?

Looking for :
1 very soft hit
2 low maintenance
3 good chalk adhesion

Don't like precision, or wizard, they hit too hard.

What's out there?

Victory Soft?
Navigator SX or S?
G2 Soft?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thy only soft tip I tried that stayed soft for a while was not layered, it was the Ki-Tech tip from Outsville. When mine was installed, it never mushroomed or needed to be shaped. You need an installer that knows what they are doing, I had one installed by Mike Webb and it was perfect, another was done by someone else and it had to be fixed since it was ragged on the edges and did not hold the shape.

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it due to wear.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thy only soft tip I tried that stayed soft for a while was not layered, it was the Ki-Tech tip from Outsville. When mine was installed, it never mushroomed or needed to be shaped. You need an installer that knows what they are doing, I had one installed by Mike Webb and it was perfect, another was done by someone else and it had to be fixed since it was ragged on the edges and did not hold the shape.

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it due to wear.
I'd try the Ultraskin softs: soft, super and pro. I've hit the soft and prefer the medium but its close. At 3bux apiece you're not out much trying all three flavors. Great tips at a helluva price.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:

TILT9

Banned
layered soft tip become rock hard almost right away!?

The Kamui Black soft has a great hit and grip but it hardens in a matter of months, well before you need to replace it.
that's it exactly , I ve tried various soft tips and they harden almost right away!??
what's the phenomenon that causes this?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's it exactly , I ve tried various soft tips and they harden almost right away!??
what's the phenomenon that causes this?

I'd guess compression of the material over time, possibly combined with the glue layers in a layered tip. Only tip I have ever tried that resisted this for a good deal of time was the Ki-Tech Soft. I would think that the process or cutting small layers and gluing them together would right there prevent a tip from being too soft or staying soft. How can you glue layers together and still stay soft without compression of the layers?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Next time you buy the Ki tech soft. Buy some extra. I'll take them to try. We use the measle cue ball here. I get 3 weeks max out of the other layered tips. The weight of the ball hardens them quick.
Thank you in advance.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I'd guess compression of the material over time, possibly combined with the glue layers in a layered tip. Only tip I have ever tried that resisted this for a good deal of time was the Ki-Tech Soft. I would think that the process or cutting small layers and gluing them together would right there prevent a tip from being too soft or staying soft. How can you glue layers together and still stay soft without compression of the layers?
Where can I get these Ketech tips?
I looked on eBay.
and why are they so expensive for a single layer tip?

Are they better than Porper's Ram Tips?
They only cost $1.10

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...281210?hash=item1c8e86c4fa:g:ej0AAOxyRNJSdEDK

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm playing with the Ultraskin soft - mushy at first but perfect once broken in - love it!

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
1st, very soft and low maintenance, lol. NO SUCH THING. Soft tips, no matter who makes them, will mushroom at some point. It's the nature.

Milk Dud tips seems to hold up well and play soft too. But usually, like all soft tips, will require probably 1 trip up after a couple weeks of play.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I deal with a lot of tips, I hear & read all the complaints and I try to figure out how different durometer tip feel with various ferrule material etc and the personally the only tip I use that has an 'S' on it is Kamui.
I'm liking the Searing Precision mediums overall and there isn't a big spread on the durometers between soft medium and hard.

I try to use the hardest tip I can and still be able to draw the ball, and so there isn't too hard of a feel.
Some hard tips are just awful.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you measuring the durometer values?
What Shore test are you using and are you doing it by hand or with a test stand? If you aren't using a good Shore D durometer with a test stand, you values will vary wildly and not give very accurate results.

I deal with a lot of tips, I hear & read all the complaints and I try to figure out how different durometer tip feel with various ferrule material etc and the personally the only tip I use that has an 'S' on it is Kamui.
I'm liking the Searing Precision mediums overall and there isn't a big spread on the durometers between soft medium and hard.

I try to use the hardest tip I can and still be able to draw the ball, and so there isn't too hard of a feel.
Some hard tips are just awful.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've finally come around to thinking these layered tips are a marketing gimmick especially the soft ones. $40 for a tip and the time and maintenence involved? No thanks. The longer I play this game the more old school I get. Keep it simple stupid. KISS. I have come around to hard pressed Triangles. A buck apiece and they require little to no maintenence. I shape my tips once every other month of play and sometimes only do it because I haven't done it in a while. I get great action off of them with terrific feedback.