Turning Stone Classic XXIX Updates - 2018

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.... what a poor display by DH. I have always been a fan but that was just a little too much. Congrats to the young gun BT !!!

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats Billy,

Nice comeback Dennis, but can do without the meltdown,

Stream terrible tonight. Never had that problem before.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I wasn’t able to watch it, what did he do?

Dennis got some horrific bad luck. Not just a few but every time he got to the table some quirky thing happened, it got so bad I started laughing...we have all been there.

He beat the hell out of his cue after the match but the damn thing would not break which made him even madder. During the match Dennis had a few melt downs that made me cringe, I will say the crazy things that went wrong for him was the worst I have ever seen. Yes things go wrong in this game but the bad rolls that Hatch got for ten games was brutal.

MD1108

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Thorpe and Hatch on Finals

Congrats to Thorpe for the victory and Hatch as the runner-up.

There was a comment during the finals that Cicero or members of his camp were filing a protest? Any more details or info on this matter? And in a situation like this, is it up to the players of a match to determine how they proceed forward, in case of an infraction?
Or, is it ultimately up the tournament director/governing body of an individual event to determine the final outcome? Appreciate feedback and thoughts on the subject.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis got some horrific bad luck. Not just a few but every time he got to the table some quirky thing happened, it got so bad I started laughing...we have all been there.

He beat the hell out of his cue after the match but the damn thing would not break which made him even madder. During the match Dennis had a few melt downs that made me cringe, I will say the crazy things that went wrong for him was the worst I have ever seen. Yes things go wrong in this game but the bad rolls that Hatch got for ten games was brutal.

He took some questionable shots that aided that one was when he tried to knock the 8 off the rail and gut stuck behind it there was simply no reason to do that it was mind boggling to me , for the most part he created his bad luck if your at the table it's not a bad roll it's a unforced error

JC

Coos Cues
:grin-square:

Got to admit, was nice to hear someone (Johnny) finally say how bad of a commentator Jerry Forsyeth is. Mike Howerton was just in shock at Johnny, LMFAO.

That and his comments about Jay being anti American.

Got the feeling Mike wanted to cut his mike a couple times.

JC

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn’t able to watch it, what did he do?

What was posted previously. Basically beat the shit out of his cue over and over. Slamming it on the table. Really surprised it didn't break. He did get many bad rolls, but that's pool.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was posted previously. Basically beat the shit out of his cue over and over. Slamming it on the table. Really surprised it didn't break. He did get many bad rolls, but that's pool.

It's a good thing this wasn't a vest and bow tie even :smile:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they used what they said was a new plastic (thick), hollow, Diamond triangle rack throughout the 4 days. I haven't seen that one in person yet.

There wasn't a match streamed on the 1st day that used a template?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Thorpe for the victory and Hatch as the runner-up.

There was a comment during the finals that Cicero or members of his camp were filing a protest? Any more details or info on this matter? And in a situation like this, is it up to the players of a match to determine how they proceed forward, in case of an infraction?
Or, is it ultimately up the tournament director/governing body of an individual event to determine the final outcome? Appreciate feedback and thoughts on the subject.
I would guess that it was about the nine ball concession mentioned above. Maybe it was, maybe not.

In general, unless there is a ref at the table, the players are expected to officiate their own matches. If they have a question, they can go ask. ... No, they should go ask. Any rules that are non-standard are usually covered in the players' meeting. If the TD is really organized, he will provide a written list of exceptions to the standard rules to the players. Many players, including champions, cannot be bothered with going to the players' meeting, so they can trip on the little wrinkles that some TDs put in.

The standard is that the outcome of each shot must be decided before another shot is taken and a foul cannot be called after that. In the case of a conceded/non-conceded game, especially one resulting in a lost match, things are a little trickier.

It's best if there is a score card that both players must sign. That ends the discussion.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cicero knew he could take the win. Why he didn't is beyond me. Anybody in the last 4 would have. No good see goes unpunished.

The TD tends to stay a few hundred yards away....years of racking shenanigans has soured him on intervening.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
He took some questionable shots that aided that one was when he tried to knock the 8 off the rail and gut stuck behind it there was simply no reason to do that it was mind boggling to me , for the most part he created his bad luck if your at the table it's not a bad roll it's a unforced error

No doubt Dennis created the problems. Many folks don't believe in luck, everything happens for a reason. It was just curious to see how many times things could go wrong.
Even after the match Dennis set up the fateful "semi masse" that played a part in his demise. The shot was quite makeable during the match but it rattled. After the match DH set it up three times and never came close to swinging the CB .250 of an inch to make the ball. Like I said I have been in his shoes before and when it goes bad it really snowballs.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There wasn't a match streamed on the 1st day that used a template?

I sure don't remember seeing one. I wrote down the conditions, including equipment, on Day 1, and I noted a triangle rack.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, they used what they said was a new plastic (thick), hollow, Diamond triangle rack throughout the 4 days. I haven't seen that one in person yet.

I played the tourney. Picture the regular diamond rack size, but textured plastic and hollow. It worked ok. One benefit I could see is that you won't get any little wood splinters on the cloth, which happens once those wooden ones get a little banged up over time.

I had a couple of opponents that racked perfectly for me. While a testament to their sportsmanship, it's also a sign that the equipment worked well. I did not feel that the plastic rack inhibited my ability to rack at all.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure don't remember seeing one. I wrote down the conditions, including equipment, on Day 1, and I noted a triangle rack.

It was rack for your opponent winner break 9 ball. New diamond triangle rack that was hollow plastic. It was the same on all tables and all matches.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Funny the same thing happened to Billy Thorpe in the hot seat match. Every bad role in the world but he kept his head and won. Conincidence ... I think not.