Three 3 Best Cue Makers in the World

Prison break

2 9 7 8 a
Searing

Tascarella

Black Boar

Agree / Disagree
Let me know what you think or your opinion.
These 3 mentioned are the Best, there are none better.

Please , no dead guys.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Searing

Tascarella

Black Boar

Agree / Disagree
Let me know what you think or your opinion.
These 3 mentioned are the Best, there are none better.

Please , no dead guys.
My top 5 list has about 10 names. Searing and Tascarella are firmly in. A few guys have passed or retired (Barry and Ernie). So maybe my Top 5 really has 5!

Dennis Searing
The Tascarellas
John Showman
Mike Bender
Ron Haley

Outside of that for me:

Manzino
Hercek
Black Boar
PFD
Paul Mottey

James White
Eddie Cohen
Shelby
Larry Vigus
Astle

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the criteria for such a list? The playability of a cue is completely subjective. There are several cue makers alive today that have construction quality equal to any cue makers already mentioned above- such as Bob Dzuricky, Gilbert. Capone, Webb, just to name a few.

So any list is just based on an individual’s preferences based on their own limited experience with specific makers.

Most cues played with today are hybrids anyhow with CF , LD, etc. etc. shafts married to cue maker cue butts.

I can’t really say that one maker or another cue maker are the best - I’ve personally handled and played with 50+ different custom and production cues / maybe double that since the 70s - I have too much respect for all the excellent cues and makers to rank them today.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's amazing to me, (and not just because I'm from Chicago) that No One has mentioned a cue builder with the innovative G10 pin. Joey Gold (Cognoscenti cues). He most likely makes the straightest/precision fitting/solid hitting cues.

IMPO, all the above builders mentioned have a (specialty aspect) about their cues. Whether it be, the shafts, inlays, woods, personal attention to customers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My top 5 list has about 10 names. Searing and Tascarella are firmly in. A few guys have passed or retired (Barry and Ernie). So maybe my Top 5 really has 5!

Dennis Searing
The Tascarellas
John Showman
Mike Bender
Ron Haley

Outside of that for me:

Manzino
Hercek
Black Boar
PFD
Paul Mottey

James White
Eddie Cohen
Shelby
Larry Vigus
Astle
Ernie(Gina) retire??

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ernie(Gina) retire??
I think all but retired. To my knowledge he still makes cues, but in a limited fashion and only to select dealers. Remember when 5-point Ginas were for sale here somewhat regularly and didn't require a mortgage?

I think Ernie is the GOAT, due in part to his fortunate long livedness and good health. He's been around pretty much every era of the modern custom cue market, always somewhere at the top of the heap for value and demand. When he started his contemporaries were Rambow and Harvey Martin. His designs and knowledge are timeless and he's literally seen it all.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Deek cues are so rough though...not my cuppa tea.
311004532310211.png

shooter_Hans

Steve Titus, a self-made engineer, founder of Predator 1994.

This man is the best and there is no comparison. From what he developed in the early 90's to what it is now is amazing. It's equivalent to someone just fixing golf clubs to becoming Titelist.

I am sure he could make very beautiful and elaborate cues if he wanted to but that is 'ifs' and 'what if'. Even with that said he is the best.

Predator is the standard today.

shooter_Hans

Bob Meucci

Back in their heyday they were Predator of those times. Their name is showcased in every big tournament and everybody had a Meucci. He made a contraption to determine and combat deflection. The godfather of deflection.

Made some great cue designs that were outside the boring traditional 4-point cue that everyone makes.

Innovative and their flexible shaft changed how people played the game. Those cues were amazing back then and introduced "big time english" control. Guys drawing balls across the tables or doing unnecessary 4 rail shape just because they can.

You can put so much english on the cueball, the cueball would pause for a split second before drawing backwards. LOL

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
There’s only two categories…investment and playability. Some fall into both but how many top tier players are playing with high end cues. It’s all personal preference, it’s like saying which is better a steel joint or wood to wood…or the famous ivory sleeve over steel 🤣

This has been debated many years over but it’s an interesting topic…you just have to define what makes one cue or one cue maker better than another.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
There’s only two categories…investment and playability. Some fall into both but how many top tier players are playing with high end cues. It’s all personal preference, it’s like saying which is better a steel joint or wood to wood…or the famous ivory sleeve over steel 🤣

This has been debated many years over but it’s an interesting topic
they are playing with free cues from big compaines
not cues they would have to pay a few grand for from a custom maker lol

shooter_Hans

David Jacoby- Jacoby Custom Cues

The original custom cue introduced to the masses. His cues were quality right out of the shop and you can also order custom cues made by him at the time. If you shot with a Jacoby then you knew what a good cue was.

I just found out the other day Jacoby also makes a fancy shaft so they find ways to stay relevant.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
they are playing with free cues from big compaines
not cues they would have to pay a few grand for from a custom maker lol
True, you’d have to go back a few years where so many weren’t sponsored. Even then tho, it didn’t seem like many were playing with even the lowest end cue from an upper tier cue maker. I think I remember Rodney Morris playing with a Szam or something very close.

If the argument is based solely off execution then guys like Bob Manzino and a few others who make very intricate and elaborate cues would have to be at the top.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
True, you’d have to go back a few years where so many weren’t sponsored. Even then tho, it didn’t seem like many were playing with even the lowest end cue from an upper tier cue maker. I think I remember Rodney Morris playing with a Szam or something very close.

If the argument is based solely off execution then guys like Bob Manzino and a few others who make very intricate and elaborate cues would have to be at the top.

for sure most didnt want to spend 10k on cues like king james liked to
although i know jj had a bob owen made thats very nice

and i would agree manzino it right at the top of any best cue makers list