What the pros do differently ...

jbart65

Watching the Premier League of pool and really focusing on it, I was struck by how pros play differently from decent everyday players and even really good amateurs.

It's no surprise, of course. They obviously have better skills and more precision than mere mortals.

The two things that have struck me the most are the use of draw and coming into the line of the shot.

The pros use draw a lot more than amateur players, from what I can see.

At my pool hall, players use draw now and then for pulling the ball straight back, but very few do long draws. And many of them don't use draw all that much for shots with a lot more angle. Stun-draw, for instance.

The pros also come across the line of a shot a lot more than I would have thought. And often with draw shots.

Am I wrong? Right?

What do you notice the pros doing differently than amateurs, and do you try to incorporate it into your game?

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think having strong command of draw, particularly precision draw, is one of the tougher skills in pool so it should not be too much of a surprise that pros are able to do it and therefore actually do it more. Similarly, they are much more skilled at jump shots and playing position afterwards.

I do not think pros come across the line of the shot more than amateurs, much less so in fact. However, since coming into the line rather than across the line is an oft-repeated mantra, the fact that pros do across the line shape at all might make it stand out. And with pro-level accuracy sometimes it might actually be the best play if they know that one or two shots for a rack will require it.

For me, what stands out is how much slower pros are with their backswing and (usually) pause at the back. I'm still trying to slow my shot cadence down, but decades of bad habits are hard to undo.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a big difference is that pro's aren't afraid to play positions that leave them harder shots but give them better natural routes to the next ball. This is really apparent with balls sitting in the middle (and on) the side rails. Most amateurs would try and leave themselves almost straight in with just a little bit of angles and then try and force the cue ball to the next position because they are afraid of setting up for a lot tougher cut on that ball sitting on the rail two diamond away from the pocket. Where a pro has no issues with leaving the cue ball in the center of the table and taking that tough cut shot to leave them a cue ball route to the next ball.

Then there are the little things, like kicks at balls to hit them full to stick the cue ball there. Most average players would miss that 80% of the time, yet the pro's pull that off almost without thinking about it. Most amateurs are usually just happy hitting a ball when kicking at it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pro's were arguably too fond of draw. Too fond of trips around the table too. Recently they seem to be using less draw and particularly less cue ball movement. Coming into area shape from the right direction is nice but sometimes more risky than coming across the shot line to get shape if it is a much shorter shot.

Some pro's work with habit and don't give the way they play shape much thought. Others are playing smarter pool now and I expect a shift in style of play to trickle down and benefit all.

Hu

jbart65

I think having strong command of draw, particularly precision draw, is one of the tougher skills in pool so it should not be too much of a surprise that pros are able to do it and therefore actually do it more. Similarly, they are much more skilled at jump shots and playing position afterwards.

I do not think pros come across the line of the shot more than amateurs, much less so in fact. However, since coming into the line rather than across the line is an oft-repeated mantra, the fact that pros do across the line shape at all might make it stand out. And with pro-level accuracy sometimes it might actually be the best play if they know that one or two shots for a rack will require it.

For me, what stands out is how much slower pros are with their backswing and (usually) pause at the back. I'm still trying to slow my shot cadence down, but decades of bad habits are hard to undo.
I work on my draw shot every single day. Short draws, long draws, stun draw. Not just because, watching the pros, I see what a weapon it is. But because I see the advantage I get in my own pool hall.

I don't think the pros come across the line of the shot more than amateurs, but they do it more than I would have expected. In almost every case, though, it seems like the right call. I try to guess every pro shot before it happens and rarely do I think: That was a mistake!

Ah yes, the slow backswing. Bad habits, as you say, are indeed hard to break. But practicing draws so much has been a big help to me. I really need a slower backstroke for more accurate and longer draws. And I am developing one.

jbart65

Playing on clean and new top notch equipment makes a huge difference.

Draw's for show.
Follow's for dough.
The tables at my pool definitely aren't preventing anyone from using draw. I never see anyone practice draw shots, though. Never.

As for the old saying, I am not sure the top pros totally agree. They use draw quite a bit. There were a number of times I thought a pro would use follow during Premier league matches, but they used draw instead.

In most cases, I though draw was the right choice. But there were times it clearly wasn't and the pros messed a few of them up. Usually with the cue ball ending up too close to another ball, given that draw is harder to control.

jbart65

I think a big difference is that pro's aren't afraid to play positions that leave them harder shots but give them better natural routes to the next ball. This is really apparent with balls sitting in the middle (and on) the side rails. Most amateurs would try and leave themselves almost straight in with just a little bit of angles and then try and force the cue ball to the next position because they are afraid of setting up for a lot tougher cut on that ball sitting on the rail two diamond away from the pocket. Where a pro has no issues with leaving the cue ball in the center of the table and taking that tough cut shot to leave them a cue ball route to the next ball.

Then there are the little things, like kicks at balls to hit them full to stick the cue ball there. Most average players would miss that 80% of the time, yet the pro's pull that off almost without thinking about it. Most amateurs are usually just happy hitting a ball when kicking at it.
Yeah, I see this all the time. Players trying to set up an easier shot, especially on the rail, but in doing so they make their next shot harder.

I am trying to leave more angle on shots, but it seems counterintuitive to most players who, even if they are good, have never had much instruction. I remember a time when I used to think more angle on shots was bad!

jbart65

The pro's were arguably too fond of draw. Too fond of trips around the table too. Recently they seem to be using less draw and particularly less cue ball movement. Coming into area shape from the right direction is nice but sometimes more risky than coming across the shot line to get shape if it is a much shorter shot.

Some pro's work with habit and don't give the way they play shape much thought. Others are playing smarter pool now and I expect a shift in style of play to trickle down and benefit all.

Hu
They might be using less draw than they used to, but they still use it a lot.

I do think older players like SVB, and American players more generally, are very fond of draw. Seems to be less the case with younger players, especially from Europe.

I agree there is a trend to less cueball movement and going around the table. Most players are definitely trying to stay on the right side of the shot line on every single shot.

George the Greek

I've been watching a ton of YouTube and have a better understanding of how to actually play the game now than 30 years ago. I loved spinning and freewheeling the CB like it was on a string and either played like God or a chump running into trouble. I could pot anything and thought yeah that's the way to do it lol. Once I get my table installed I am going to get my head straight and try the right way to play. I watch these guys play and they've invigorated me to play better.

jbart65

Another thing I notice with the pros:

They use more long follow shots. Especially follow on rail shots with very little angle. The follow brings the ball to the short rail and out. Add a little spin and the cueball goes wider.

I never used to use follow like that until I did drills in a program I purchased last year. Really opened my eyes.

As with draw, though, you have to use a slow backswing and follow through.

I and other players at my pool hall would the hit the follow shots too hard, thinking hard hits were needed to move the cue ball.

Instead, the hard hits caused the cue ball to slide. The shot would end up more like stun and very little follow would take place.

jbart65

Ok, and one more.

Hard stun shots (tip at center or a hair higher) to move the CB a foot or two.

I almost never see this shot in my pool hall. I see the pros do it all the time.

I've only begun to use this in my game and what a weapon (FYI, I just got back into the game two years ago after a 30-year absence).

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always noticed the thing that pros do that is so much better than most mortal pool players is the intense, laser beam focus on every shot. It is extremely fatiguing to exert that much mental focus on each and every shot. Just look at the eyes when they are down on a shot. The eye discipline is rock solid, the warm up strokes are the same whether it is a 2 ft. gimme or a thin back cut, their breathing...everything is focused on that one shot. It really is impressive.

jbart65

Final one: Ball in hand placement.

I used to do a lot of blind shots with ball in hand. That's what a lot of players at my pool hall do. Or players place the ball to give them the shortest shot.

Now I use the side pockets more and shot toward my next intended ball so I can see the direction of travel. Even if it is a longer shot, I'll take it if the result is easier CB placement for the next shot.

Again, elementary, but unless someone shows you ...

Atorontopoolplayer

I think part of the reason some of the top players are favoring less cue ball movement now is the always slick/ fresh felt the slide on them off multiple rails is tougher to predict and control