Mexico Open, April 16-20, 2024

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I haven't seen any comment about this. Here's today's free stream on YouTube from Matchroom Pool:

I saw Rafael Martinez playing yesterday. Good to know he is still playing. His stroke is amazing.
I have been enjoying this event also. The first time I saw Rafael play was at a tourney in the Washington state area. It was scary to see how good he was and the way he made the seemingly impossible happen.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Interesting to see the royal pro banner there in the shot as it’s primarily carom cloth but have ventured into pool cloth, maybe that’s what they are playing on

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Interesting to see the royal pro banner there in the shot as it’s primarily carom cloth but have ventured into pool cloth, maybe that’s what they are playing on
Ain’t that the screaming shpits. I’ve been watching this for two days now and thought that the green table cloth said Royal Pro Billiard “Club” not “Cloth”.

Where’s my brain?

Thinking, dang that club needs to pass around a plate and raise some money to get some carpet squares ‘round the perimeter of that table.

Flakeandrun

Ain’t that the screaming shpits. I’ve been watching this for two days now and thought that the table cloth said Royal Pro Billiard “Club” not “Cloth”.

Where’s my brain?
I really want to see more events all over the world. But the strength of this tournament is super low. I am really hoping it picks up toward the latter end. Some of the shots missed on these cavernous pockets. No words.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
But the strength of this tournament is super low.
I’m really enjoying this. It’s not the marquee event, but have seen some flashes of stellar play. Love seeing the different approaches and trying to notice commonalities.

If this is what qualifiers for Matchroom events look like in a few years, I’llbe pretty stinking’ pumped up for it.

Flakeandrun

I’m really enjoying this. It’s not the marquee event, but have seen some flashes of stellar play. Love seeing the different approaches and trying to notice commonalities.

If this is what qualifiers for Matchroom events look like in a few years, I’llbe pretty stinking’ pumped up for it.
Been the odd shot here or there, am hoping events like these drive up the quality and inspire more people to take part. Guess that's the point.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I really want to see more events all over the world. But the strength of this tournament is super low. I am really hoping it picks up toward the latter end. Some of the shots missed on these cavernous pockets. No words.
This is what Matchroom wants and brings to the game. They eliminate the US Open from being a truly “open” tournament to supposedly keep “dead money out” and have a higher level of play. Then on the other hand they have events such as this one, the one in Vietnam, Columbia etc. where many of the matches are just terrible to watch due to low level of play as you’ve noted. Emily and MR want to make the sport “global”. Perhaps they’ll start opening these events with all the players singing “We Are The World” together.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first time seeing Soufi; fast and deadly. Why isn't he talked about...a lot? I'm very impressed.

he's placed 2nd in the world championship last year.. but he hasn't made much noise since. his manager/handler ripped him off on the WC prize money iirc. either way he's a streaky player. very entertaining when he's on

shooter_Hans

It is still fun to watch. I know most people are not watching because its in Mexico because they like more glitzy locales.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the first time for this event, or maybe any major nine ball event in Mexico -- I don't remember any previous ones but that might be me.

They got something over 160 players, mostly local. I think that shows a lot of interest. If it goes smoothly, I expect much stronger players will show up for the next one.

I found it interesting that a WNT event is displaying the BCA logo.