The best room consensus.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I've been all over US & Canada. Not many close. I have seen a couple of "high end" rooms come and go. Nice mix of equipment, food, ambience, action, players, tourists etc to make it work. My top 5.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Amsterdam Billiards, the best is defined as the most participation of women or girls in the country by league or by titles.

No other bar can claim the titles and players as ABC.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is Q-Masters still a thing, in Virginia?

Used to go there several times a year. Always loved that spot...and it just screamed "pool hall"
Best spot I’ve been to. haven't played on the west coast really though, so I can’t comment on those places other than what I’ve seen on the streams.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll be the first to say it, Buffalo Billiards, perhaps Lacy's now that Buffalo has bought it. To be honest when Buffalo had his pool hall in the ready to fall down building on Airline after Katrina it was still the best pool hall I knew of. The owner makes the hall and in most the halls I went in the owner was lacking in one way or another. In over fifty years I haven't encountered a better hall owner than Buffalo and very few his equal.

Hu

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Let's break down best room by categories.

I've traveled to at least 10 in a given week and 5 are in my regular rotation.

The best room for a date because this is a commercial website and AZB needs its respects paid.

The best room for a date depends on if your a guy or girl. If you are a regular at the room bringing the date to the room is a good sign. I once brought a date to the pool room and realized I was acting a fool a few weeks later. The feeling I get for pool and the feeling I had for my "ex" were not convergent. Then there is the room you bring the person you plan to cheat on your spouse of significant other with. Every pool player knows there is the room for family and then there is the room for gambling.

The best room for a date in NYC would be Society Billiards, its in the basement, the lighting is always good and the crowd has changed from Broadway Billiards to Society Billiards. If you need the secret way out, just tip the desk person.

I do plan to evaluate several of the Asian owned rooms in NYC.

Ghost of OBC

Best spot I’ve been to. haven't played on the west coast really though, so I can’t comment on those places other than what I’ve seen on the streams.
Q Masters has been improving. I heard they've gone non-smoking, definitely switched the bar boxes to Diamonds, and may have swapped the 9 ft Brunswicks for Diamonds also. Nice to see the family investing in the place.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Amsterdam Billiards, the best is defined as the most participation of women or girls in the country by league or by titles.

No other bar can claim the titles and players as ABC.
Have to agree. Amsterdam Billiards in New York City is the state of the art.

No poolroom offers a better social scene in the evenings, and the bar is first rate in every respect, carrying just about every kind of alcohol imaginable.

As you note, lots and lots of women play in the leagues, although I can't think of even one currently playing there that has won a significant title in women's pool. Thursday evenings offer a 9ball league with many good players. In the daytime, however, you rarely see a woman playing. At the weekends, you invariably see some young people, as New York University is just half a mile away.

Amsterdam is also a sports bar to some, having TVs all over the room that can be seen from almost every pool table. Many come to watch a sporting event while either playing pool, having a drink or two, or both.

For those who want to learn, BCA Hall of Famer Thorsten Hohmann, one of less than ten players ever to win a WPA-sanctioned World Championship at both 9ball and straight pool, is the head pro.

The staff members at Amsterdam are courteous and efficient and, thankfully, they don't allow non-players in the playing area, so unwelcome onlookers are not an issue at all.

There is a general lack of action pool, but that ensures that many of the undesirables never set foot in the place. It's not a player's room, but instead a room having a very friendly vibe.

Finally, the restrooms are high end and the place is always clean.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to agree. Amsterdam Billiards in New York City is the state of the art.

No poolroom offers a better social scene in the evenings, and the bar is first rate in every respect, carrying just about every kind of alcohol imaginable.

As you note, lots and lots of women play in the leagues, although I can't think of even one currently playing there that has won a significant title in women's pool. Thursday evenings offer a 9ball league with many good players. In the daytime, however, you rarely see a woman playing. At the weekends, you invariably see some young people, as New York University is just half a mile away.

Amsterdam is also a sports bar to some, having TVs all over the room that can be seen from almost every pool table. Many come to watch a sporting event while either playing pool, having a drink or two, or both.

For those who want to learn, BCA Hall of Famer Thorsten Hohmann, one of less than ten players ever to win a WPA-sanctioned World Championship at both 9ball and straight pool, is the head pro.

The staff members at Amsterdam are courteous and efficient and, thankfully, they don't allow non-players in the playing area, so unwelcome onlookers are not an issue at all.

There is a general lack of action pool, but that ensures that many of the undesirables never set foot in the place. It's not a player's room, but instead a room having a very friendly vibe.

Finally, the restrooms are hgih end and the place is always clean.
Sounds great but do they have free water?

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes and i used to go there weekly, but the two hours of vacuum at the end of the night was too much