Is Kielwood Shaft relly low deflection?

Pubo

From what I know a kielwood shaft is a shaft that has undergone a process called torrefaction, where the wood is heated to high temperature to remove sugar and water in the wood. I don't know much about the science behind it, but I'm curious as to whether this treatment actually reduces deflection of the shaft to a noticeable degree.

For reference, Billiard corner had a review on Hsunami shafts Billiard Corner Hsunami Cue Review. Thanks in advance!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main benefit of torrified wood is it will never again absorb moisture. Humidity won't change it. Call it natrual carbon fiber. I haven't yet heard of a quality torrified wood shaft warping over time. There probably are some that have, but the percentage is low.

The wood does weigh less after the process. So the end mass is less. But most of the low deflection qualitues come from coringbthe end, like was mentioned above. There are a few posters on here that didn't like the cue balance because the balance was too far to the rear.

The wood is a little more resistant to dents then it was before torrification.

Zerksies

Why wasn't this a thing 50 years ago? Bake the shit out of the wood till their is zero moisture in the wood. Sounds like it is a simple process to me

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why wasn't this a thing 50 years ago? Bake the shit out of the wood till their is zero moisture in the wood. Sounds like it is a simple process to me
It was. That have been doing it when building keils of boats and musical instruments for a long time.

And it's not just zero moisture. It removes the sugars. The cells of the wood are "closed" so they can't transfer moisture.

Zerksies

It was. That have been doing it when building keils of boats and musical instruments for a long time.

And it's not just zero moisture. It removes the sugars. The cells of the wood are "closed" so they can't transfer moisture.
I'm talking pool cues, I don't see cues from the 80's with that Brownish color to the shaft.

ACL

I have both versions of the Hsunami, the original and the 2.0, and both are low deflection. From what I understand (and I am no expert), Richard Hsu extended the torrification process which makes the shaft lower deflection and stiffer. After falling in love with the original, I didn't think it was possible for him to improve on his process with the 2.0...I was wrong. The stiffer hit is noticeable as well as the sound and the performance is tremendous.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have both versions of the Hsunami, the original and the 2.0, and both are low deflection. From what I understand (and I am no expert), Richard Hsu extended the torrification process which makes the shaft lower deflection and stiffer. After falling in love with the original, I didn't think it was possible for him to improve on his process with the 2.0...I was wrong. The stiffer hit is noticeable as well as the sound and the performance is tremendous.
The low def has a lighter tenon. The front is drilled and plugged with an even lighter wood.
Nothing to do with "extended torrification".

NevadaP

From what I know a kielwood shaft is a shaft that has undergone a process called torrefaction, where the wood is heated to high temperature to remove sugar and water in the wood. I don't know much about the science behind it, but I'm curious as to whether this treatment actually reduces deflection of the shaft to a noticeable degree.

For reference, Billiard corner had a review on Hsunami shafts Billiard Corner Hsunami Cue Review. Thanks in advance!
I switched about a year ago from a CF shaft to a maple Kielwood. I made the switch primarily because the wood was so much more visually appealing than the CF. I expected that I'd soon go back to the CF, but I have not. As for the deflection, I think I can see that the CF was actually a little better as 'low deflection', but not by much.
I really like the darker hue and the resistance to dings offered by the Kielwood.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Keilwood is nothing but roasted maple, you can make LD shafts or normal deflection shafts out of it. It makes the shaft lighter so in theory would make it less deflection than another heavier shaft. Making a shaft LD involves work on the end area, that can be done with any type of material.