Is Kielwood Shaft relly low deflection?

Pubo

From what I know a kielwood shaft is a shaft that has undergone a process called torrefaction, where the wood is heated to high temperature to remove sugar and water in the wood. I don't know much about the science behind it, but I'm curious as to whether this treatment actually reduces deflection of the shaft to a noticeable degree.

For reference, Billiard corner had a review on Hsunami shafts Billiard Corner Hsunami Cue Review. Thanks in advance!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Torrified wood breaks easier. If it's drilled out it breaks a LOT easier. At least this has been my experience with it. I've seen a couple of shafts explode.

Yes it does, and even more so if they use a higher grade of wood like birdseye or something not a normal straight grain maple of a normal shaft. You can even hear the creak in some shafts as the wood flexes due to the dryness. Honestly, after playing with like 10+ keilwood shafts, I like the normal maple ones better.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes it does, and even more so if they use a higher grade of wood like birdseye or something not a normal straight grain maple of a normal shaft. You can even hear the creak in some shafts as the wood flexes due to the dryness. Honestly, after playing with like 10+ keilwood shafts, I like the normal maple ones better.
Curly and BEM shafts are not a great idea.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just will not play with shafts under 3.5 ounces and prefer 3.8 to 4.1 - that at 12.75 MM with 12 inch minimum pro taper.

A shaft at 3.3 ounces just moved the balance point so far back on a cue - not for me.

dendweller

There's a finish on the whole shaft?
I believe so, definitely on the part that goes through you bridge hand. There's a guy that does reviews on youtube, pool addiction is the name, mentioned it as well. He really liked the shaft but mentioned that a con for some people might be the glossiness of the shaft.

dendweller

I believe so, definitely on the part that goes through you bridge hand. There's a guy that does reviews on youtube, pool addiction is the name, mentioned it as well. He really liked the shaft but mentioned that a con for some people might be the glossiness of the shaft.
I should also mention that I have a friend that has a shaft he loves that he left on his table while he wasn't shooting. He told me to take a few shots. I did, to me it was sticky and I couldn't imagine how he shoots as good as he does without a glove.

Long story short, consider the source, I think I'm more sensitive than most to a shaft feeling tacky.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should also mention that I have a friend that has a shaft he loves that he left on his table while he wasn't shooting. He told me to take a few shots. I did, to me it was sticky and I couldn't imagine how he shoots as good as he does without a glove.

Long story short, consider the source, I think I'm more sensitive than most to a shaft feeling tacky.

You are correct about the feel, my son and I have played with many of the keilwood shafts, two Hsunami ones, a few OB Phoenix, some other ones, the OB Phoenix were done smooth and natural, I have some from a local cuemaker that does not coat the shafts, also smooth. The Hsunami shafts and a couple of others that were made from birdeye maple were a bit sticky when not using a glove. Not an issue for my son since he uses a glove all the time, but for me without out it was a bit grippy.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious as to why on this? I had a Mike Stacey sneaky years ago that the shaft was very visibly curly maple and that thing hit like a stiff wire. Didn't really love it.

The grain on them runs in different directions so the strength of the build is compromised a bit. Think of how a material would act when the stress points were at different breaking points in the material, you would end up with weak points where a crack or break would start at. Those pretty curls and features in the wood add to the look for sure, but because they are there, the wood is weaker, unless you re-enforce it with say epoxy like they do with some builds of cues. We had one of the curly shafts crack at one of those weak points.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I've posted this elsewhere, but I've had very positive experiences with torrefied wood with acoustic guitars. Like incredible sounding Adirondack spruce top wood that you can feel and hear without a doubt.

Given that prior experience, I figured I'd give kielwood a shot and ordered up a Hsunami shaft. Richard is a great guy and was very, very good to deal with. The shaft was too light for me and it just kinda seemed like another shaft. Did not have any special qualities apart from anything else out there. The quality and workmanship were top notch though.