Mike Sigel cue repair needed

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend has a Mike Sigel cue that needs the butt cap replaced (see pics). Who can I contact to inquire about repair work? Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Frank

MSigel-1of1.jpg

MSigel-1of1 a.jpg

MSigel-1of1 b.jpg

MSigel-1of1 c.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honest question from occasional cue maker/sometime restorer of other artifacts who does not however make "fancy" cues:

If that was a collectible in any other field of interest, the first thought would be repair what is there.
Especially since it appears in the photo to be original natural material.

What would be incorrect in the cue world to remove the butt cap, slightly turn/clean up the tenon & replace it?
1.) if the smaller dia & tiny step is acceptable, re-glue with epoxy and detail to make the repair obscure, then touch up and slightly round the finish at the juncture to blend with a miniscule step, but relatively unobtrusive.
2.) Alternately, clean the crack, slice it, and let in a sliver of similar material such that the finish dia. is as necessary to return the flush condition where it butts the ring.

Either method would show the repair, but it would be solid and conserve all original materials & original logo. Preference probably being to the second method.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

Honest question from occasional cue maker/sometime restorer of other artifacts who does not however make "fancy" cues:

If that was a collectible in any other field of interest, the first thought would be repair what is there.
Especially since it appears in the photo to be original natural material.

What would be incorrect in the cue world to remove the butt cap, slightly turn/clean up the tenon & replace it.
1.) if the smaller dia & tiny step is acceptable, re-glue with epoxy and detail to make the repair obscure, then touch up and slightly round the finish at the juncture to blend with a miniscule step, but relatively unobtrusive.
2.) Alternately, clean the crack, slice it, and let in a sliver of similar material such that the finish dia. is as necessary to return the flush condition where it butts the ring.

Either method would show the repair, but it would be solid and conserve all original materials & original logo. Preference probably being to the second method.

Just leave it alone as a reminder to not slam the bumper of the cue into the floor after missing a shot...

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend has a Mike Sigel cue that needs the butt cap replaced (see pics). Who can I contact to inquire about repair work? Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Frank

View attachment 745300

View attachment 745301

View attachment 745302

View attachment 745303
I do not have any way to reach him, now. I was his dealer at least 15 years ago. He is on Facebook... He would probably respond to a question through there.

All of the cues I got from him were signed and numbered. Yours is the only one I ever saw with the decal block letters.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Stupid question from a guy that's half way mechanically inclined. Could a guy dribble some CA glue in the crack and put a hose type clamp around it for an hour or so? The result might be strength and character.

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not have any way to reach him, now. I was his dealer at least 15 years ago. He is on Facebook... He would probably respond to a question through there.

All of the cues I got from him were signed and numbered. Yours is the only one I ever saw with the decal block letters.
Thanks. I'll have my friend reach out to him on Facebook. I'm not on there.
I'm pretty sure the butt cap is etched, not decal.

Hard Knock Cues

There could be damage to the wood under the cap.
It should be repaired.
I had a friends cue that I replaced the cracked butt cap on. It was in worse shape. Almost looked like it got ran over by a car, from his college days and he tried to glue it. The first one I replaced it with cracked cuz the wood underneath was cracked. I did it again and sleeved it with phenolic and that kept the crack in the wood from traveling through the butt cap. So far so good anyway.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a friends cue that I replaced the cracked butt cap on. It was in worse shape. Almost looked like it got ran over by a car, from his college days and he tried to glue it. The first one I replaced it with cracked cuz the wood underneath was cracked. I did it again and sleeved it with phenolic and that kept the crack in the wood from traveling through the butt cap. So far so good anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_080620_204515.jpg
    IMG_080620_204515.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_080620_204555.jpg
    IMG_080620_204555.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 55