Extension length preference

tomatoshooter

I know this is mainly a preference thing and you can't really answer for me, but I want to buy an butt extension and am not sure how long I should get. The choices are 3", 6", and 11". I plan on using it to reach long shots, not to use it full time, so I'm leaning towards the 11". Has anyone ever bought an extension and regretted getting one that's too short or too long?

Greg M

My English pool cue is 57". I opted for a 6" mini butt to go with it, but I think it's a tad too long for my preference. I have my eye on a 3" one that fits the joint in the butt of my cue, so I think I'll pull the trigger and pick it up.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I've been doing recently is transitioning away from using extensions and more towards using a mechanical bridge. The reason is that I've found I lose a lot of accuracy when stretching or otherwise trying to cue over a long distance with an overweight and overlong behemoth of a cue.

My crossover point is at about the 4-5" range of extra length needed.

Therefore, I'd do the 6" because any shots that need a longer extension are much better done using a mechanical bridge. And any shots that don't need an 11" extension will be made more difficult and awkwardly back-heavy with an 11" extension.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF extension should not add any noticeable weight to your cue when shooting- the six inch with a 58 inch cue is almost useless- you absolutely should go to 9-11 inch extension if available; eight inches should be the minimum with a 58 inch cue.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is mainly a preference thing and you can't really answer for me, but I want to buy a butt extension and am not sure how long I should get. The choices are 3", 6", and 11". I plan on using it to reach long shots, not to use it full time, so I'm leaning towards the 11". Has anyone ever bought an extension and regretted getting one that's too short or too long?
11” gets you maximum stretch, if you dislike using a bridge whenever possible. Even on shots you don’t need the 11”, there’s no downside.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a full-time 3" ext. Works fine. I'm 6'3" and 61" is the length for me. I do not like the idea of putting ext on/off all the time.

tomatoshooter

OP, how tall are you?
I'm about 5'-9". I tend to grip the cue near the end but I want the extension for extra reach, not for a full time longer cue. That's why I'm leaning towards the long one.

I appreciate everyone's responses, I wanted to make sure I was considering the various pros and cons.

Reactions: bbb

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I know this is mainly a preference thing and you can't really answer for me, but I want to buy an butt extension and am not sure how long I should get. The choices are 3", 6", and 11". I plan on using it to reach long shots, not to use it full time, so I'm leaning towards the 11". Has anyone ever bought an extension and regretted getting one that's too short or too long?
I use a full time 4" mid cue ext LOVE it, as you have stated not using it full time I would go with the longest rear ext you can IMHO

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chose 8 inches for my carbon fiber extension.

For me, that gives me my maximum, well controlled reach, with minimum change in weight distribution/feel.

If I need more than that, it's time to break out the bridge.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the lady said, "Just a few more inches would be nice."

I think mine clocks in at about seven inches.

Lou Figueroa
it's plenty

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'm about 5'-9". I tend to grip the cue near the end but I want the extension for extra reach, not for a full time longer cue. That's why I'm leaning towards the long one.

I appreciate everyone's responses, I wanted to make sure I was considering the various pros and cons.
I'm 9'' taller than you.
With the setup I had during my pro years, 5'' was enough with my 58''cue............. 63''total worked fine.
I would try 9''+5'' and go with that as your baseline thus, allowing you to have the reach I had.
Once I got out even more than my setup, which was very seldom, the rake worked fine.
With my setup, I didn't need a cue case that would fit Looooooooooong shafts, I had the 5'' extension in a case pocket.

bm

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When I need a bridge, I take out my jump cue.
I carry with me a traditional rake head (rubber insert hole grommet) I use just the shaft sometimes, or the full jumper.
EASY to pick up Quickly if needed easy to handle & move around, less wood on the table to control, and I like this Much better than ANY other rake.

tomatoshooter

When I need a bridge, I take out my jump cue.
I carry with me a traditional rake head (rubber insert hole grommet) I use just the shaft sometimes, or the full jumper.
EASY to pick up Quickly if needed easy to handle & move around, less wood on the table to control, and I like this Much better than ANY other rake.
I'm going to have to try that. It's never occurred to me to use a bridge with a shorter handle, I bet there are many situations that if prefer it.