Pig skin for cue tips

gbs52

Registered
Curious, What’s all the hype specifying Japanese pig skin for tips. Is it better than pig skin here in US? I use to raise pigs/hogs. They do have a coarse hair that has a deep folical which I see in many of the glue side of tips which could hold chalk better. If that be the case why and is this so called only the highest premium Japanese pig skin is used. I’m curious is there a difference in our pigs and abroad and is foreign pig skin better for cuetips?

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Tiger Sniper is pig skin if I'm not mistaken. I honestly could not tell what the hide is between tips. Sniper has a good firmness to me (not too hard or soft) and keeps its shape well. Consistent quality from tip to tip. While I have preferred single layer Le Pros, I like the Sniper too and have been putting them on new cues because you never know what kind of Le Pro you are going to get.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Did you think to include "boar"? Fifteen, or so, years ago, Tiger's website contained a description of their tip material. If my memory is correct, its process started with burying boar hide for a number of years. Also included was Tiger's origins in a family shoe making business.

Flakeandrun

Curious, What’s all the hype specifying Japanese pig skin for tips. Is it better than pig skin here in US? I use to raise pigs/hogs. They do have a coarse hair that has a deep folical which I see in many of the glue side of tips which could hold chalk better. If that be the case why and is this so called only the highest premium Japanese pig skin is used. I’m curious is there a difference in our pigs and abroad and is foreign pig skin better for cuetips?
No, Japan just has a 'quality assured' stereotype attached. A bit like German cars, or Canadian Maple.

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

Highly rate these. Pig leather, but not sure where from. Use them on my snooker cue for the last 6years, since I moved to China, as a friend told me the Elkmasters here weren't the same quality as UK. Tried a couple of tips on my pool cue shafts. After a horrible Hard Kamui on a shaft I picked up, just decided to put these on all the shafts I have. Don't regret it. They play beautifully.

1710731921130.png

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Moori was the first layered tip I remember -- about 1995? Pigskin. My suspicions -- maybe someone will fill in the facts:

The choice was a combination of necessity and convenience. Most tips are made from water buffalo hide -- thick and tough? There was lots of cheap pigskin available in Japan, as a biproduct of pork production. Not many (any?) water buffaloes in Japan. Better if you don't depend on foreign suppliers. So, take the cheap pig skin, take off a layer that is tough enough, and glue layers together. Add mystique to taste. You end up with a $0.20 item (materials) you can sell for $10.

Flakeandrun

Moori was the first layered tip I remember -- about 1995? Pigskin. My suspicions -- maybe someone will fill in the facts:

The choice was a combination of necessity and convenience. Most tips are made from water buffalo hide -- thick and tough? There was lots of cheap pigskin available in Japan, as a biproduct of pork production. Not many (any?) water buffaloes in Japan. Better if you don't depend on foreign suppliers. So, take the cheap pig skin, take off a layer that is tough enough, and glue layers together. Add mystique to taste. You end up with a $0.20 item (materials) you can sell for $10.
I guess this is why my Wooldridge tips are also made of pig skin. No Water buffalo in the UK 🤣

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i have a different slant on things as i liked the original moori tips but dont have a yen for the others.