Gold Crown Cue Rack - Rubber Nib Alternative?

KUKABUKA

I recently obtained an old GC cue rack with the rubber nibs but several of them are broken, and the ones that aren't broken are super dry and stiff. Some shafts are picking up scratches from being pushed past the nibs. I see I can buy replacement nibs from classic billiards but they're ludicrously expensive ($3.95 per nib?), apparently very difficult to replace, and will undoubtedly dry out over the years.

Has anyone come up with an alternative method to restrain the cues in the rack?

Thanks
9dcc7a58d63cb27a045875bac8baa239.jpg
c4fdccb133b4aa1bed1f69d64c24b2cd.jpg

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Any trade that deals with rubber material, I'm sure it'll be easy to find. Maybe start with a plumbing supply house.
I was in the auto repair business, I'm sure there are Rubber Orings one could cut to length.

KUKABUKA

Any trade that deals with rubber material, I'm sure it'll be easy to find. Maybe start with a plumbing supply house.
I was in the auto repair business, I'm sure there are Rubber Orings one could cut to length.

Yeah good call, I'm leaning towards fashioning my own out of a softer readily available rubber, just want them to look relatively uniform and not "uncoiled" or something

Twocylndr

Lowes has bins of rubber grommets, o-rings, brass fittings, nylon bushings...all kinds of stuff.
I've had to rig stuff; looked thru by drawers of "saved" items...when I can't find something that I could make work, I go to my local hardware store and browse their bins. I've been asked, "What are you looking for, maybe I can help?" My reply is," I dunno, but I will know it when I see it."

northdakotafats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this exact same issue a few years ago. I ended up buying a roll of rubber cord off ebay. Can't remember what diameter I got but it worked great.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can buy it in a roll on Amazon and cut it to size yourself. It will not have the rounded edges unless you find a method to machine each piece.

Here's one option:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My nibs measured .22", do you recall if you used 1/4" successfully?
I didn't use the Amazon sourced product. I went with the Classic Billiards nibs as I wanted it to look original. Either way, you will have to clean up the holes where the nibs go. I cut down an old 9/32" drill bit and worked it in/out by hand, using pliers when needed. It went pretty smooth. This should give you the clearance to install a 0.25" rubber rod. I believe the nibs from Classic Billiards are 0.25" but I can't recall.

IMG_4067.jpeg

Here's a brief still shot video I made of the restoration of my rack. It was a fun project! Good luck with yours!

KUKABUKA

I didn't use the Amazon sourced product. I went with the Classic Billiards nibs as I wanted it to look original. Either way, you will have to clean up the holes where the nibs go. I cut down an old 9/32" drill bit and worked it in/out by hand, using pliers when needed. It went pretty smooth. This should give you the clearance to install a 0.25" rubber rod. I believe the nibs from Classic Billiards are 0.25" but I can't recall.

View attachment 750807

Here's a brief still shot video I made of the restoration of my rack. It was a fun project! Good luck with yours!

Thank you very much! I've watched all of your videos, they're great.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is O-Ring stock from McMaster-Carr, an industrial supply

I linked the whole page so you can see what other shapes and materials they offer. The one in the upper left corner, "Oil Resistant Buna N O-Ring Cord stock" is the most common. Its sold by the foot and super cheap.

Also of note they list both the nominal size and the actual size, which may help for your project, and also have metric sizes that may further allow you to fine tune the fit.

Last edited: