WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP NATIONAL TEAMS 3-CUSHION 2024

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only America has non Americans playing for it ……..
I'm pretty sure they are both citizens.

At this point in the history of US carom billiards, foreign-born players fill the top ranks because native Americans gave up almost entirely on carom about 1960. It lingered on in creaky old men's clubs like the Elks and the Masons and a few major rooms, like Chris's in Chicago. Today I think the vast majority of carom is played in rooms run by first or second generation immigrants: Mexican, Korean, Vietnamese, Central and South American, and Turkish.

The situation in the US is similar for snooker but a different set of immigrants and a comparatively lower level of play.

And at pool, we now have a chance to compete with the world since Fedor changed flags. 🇺🇸 (y)(y)

The last time a US-born player won the US 3-cushion championship was around 1988/1989.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am mostly uncomfortable agreeing with Bob Jewett on some topics for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that I never agree with him per se. I agree with many of his posts. Even a blind squirrel catches a nut every once in a while. In his case, I agree more often than not. That said, the "Texas Carom Club" poster fetish for straight rail has blinded him to coherently assess the present trajectory of 3C. I have no delusions about the USA becoming a powerhouse in the 3C carom arena. But having "Texas Carom Club" be a spokesman for Az Billiards on the Carom Billiards forum is unfortunate. His proclivity to post more than almost everyone else doesn't make him correct. He is just a part of a long tradition of people that spews shit. But I digress.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am mostly uncomfortable agreeing with Bob Jewett on some topics for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean that I never agree with him per se. I agree with many of his posts. Even a blind squirrel catches a nut every once in a while. In his case, I agree more often than not. That said, the "Texas Carom Club" poster fetish for straight rail has blinded him to coherently assess the present trajectory of 3C. I have no delusions about the USA becoming a powerhouse in the 3C carom arena. But having "Texas Carom Club" be a spokesman for Az Billiards on the Carom Billiards forum is unfortunate. His proclivity to post more than almost everyone else doesn't make him correct. He is just a part of a long tradition of people that spews shit. But I digress.
I find myself agreeing with Bob almost invariably, when I read his posts or replies on this forum. He is factual, and he knows how to choose his words.

Reactions: bbb

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
(Takes a bow)

People don’t like the truth
People don’t like hard games like straight rail and 1 cushion
People don’t have attention spans for it and only for the bedazzling big round and round and round the table shot with the spotted balls so they can go wow look at that puppy spin

3c has dumbed down Americans on caroms
Now non existent in the world level of billiards
Kind of embarrassing seeing how it was created here

Wonder how many panamericans and aftican players turkey will have on their next world NATIONAL team games

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Some data for ye olde perusal of perceived nationalities of USA players.
none of them are top world level players tho , which was the discussion at hand

Probably less than a handful born on us soil
A Quick Look at the names just shows what I said previously
IMG_4939.png

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
none of them are top world level players tho , which was the discussion at hand

Probably less than a handful born on us soil
A Quick Look at the names just shows what I said previouslyView attachment 752075
From an awkward time in American 3 cushion, (late 60's - early 90's). As far as I know there are Only 2 American born Top 3C players still alive, George Ashby and myself. I don't believe Frank Torres is American born.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping the game is on the way to 'back in' for the usa and I don't care if that is driven by those who have chosen to join our country.