10 Ball Pool Rules

tomatoshooter

I'll admit I love me some slop and "luck." I honestly believe that the people who complain the loudest about luck in 9B just don't understand caroms, percentages or two way shots. If I can take a free roll and protect the CB from the machinations of my opponent, I'm taking it.
I also like the extra dimension "luck" adds to the game. Poker has luck, and if you don't understand the percentages, you will not have much luck. Same with 9 ball. "Luck" can make the difference in a match, but it's rare for it to overcome a significant skill differential.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
every area was different. in mine we played 6 ball instead of 9 ball or we played one pocket.
6 ball was faster and the break didnt matter at all. and all sorts of speeds of players gambled at it because most could run at least 6 open balls once in a while.
never saw a game of ten ball. why play ten ball unless you are pro speed and running out too often in 9 ball.

the best players sat on the sidelines and watched as in most rooms. they rarely give a close game and run out all the time while their opponent has to sit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Grady Mathews start the drive to make 10 Ball a call shot game? I think he wanted to take luck out of the game.

He wanted to make 9 ball a called shot game, not sure about 10 ball. There were some 9 ball events that were done with his rules. Not just called shot but also called safe, if you missed the player can give the shot back. Some of the players forgot a bit about the rules when they were told to take the shot again after they missed with a sigh about "Grady's rules" LOL. Grady, and a few others, thought pool lacked dignity and status if you can crap a ball in and keep shooting.

tomatoshooter

if you missed the player can give the shot back
Yeah, I don't like that. I think you should be able to give the table back if someone pockets a ball when calling safety, or pockets a ball when missing their called shot in 8 ball, like how 10 ball is commonly played.

It's kind of weird how many people keep trying to make the game harder. I can see it for the pros, but the game is plenty hard as it is.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
never saw a game of ten ball. why play ten ball unless you are pro speed and running out too often in 9 ball.
This.

It's strange, because it sure does appear that 10-ball caught on with pro tournaments because top players were breaking and running all to often at 9-ball. Then weaker players see that being played and they want to play it. Then the leagues figured out they could even adopt it, by giving their (mostly weak) players points for the 1-9 balls, that would be meaningless balls (other than position and controlling the table obviously). Brilliant idea for the leagues actually, because then their (mostly weak) players can play the "pro game" but win even if they don't ever make a 10-ball, if the handicap is steep enough.

I find that kinda funny though.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
He wanted to make 9 ball a called shot game, not sure about 10 ball. There were some 9 ball events that were done with his rules. Not just called shot but also called safe, if you missed the player can give the shot back. Some of the players forgot a bit about the rules when they were told to take the shot again after they missed with a sigh about "Grady's rules" LOL. Grady, and a few others, thought pool lacked dignity and status if you can crap a ball in and keep shooting.
Sounds like they needed to learn about caroms and 2 way shots. ;)
:)

boogieman

This.

It's strange, because it sure does appear that 10-ball caught on with pro tournaments because top players were breaking and running all to often at 9-ball. Then weaker players see that being played and they want to play it. Then the leagues figured out they could even adopt it, by giving their (mostly weak) players points for the 1-9 balls, that would be meaningless balls (other than position and controlling the table obviously). Brilliant idea for the leagues actually, because then their (mostly weak) players can play the "pro game" but win even if they don't ever make a 10-ball, if the handicap is steep enough.

I find that kinda funny though.
I refuse to play any more local 10B tournaments unless they are short rack (called of course). The last one I was in was brutal, even being a race to 5 on winners and 3 on losers. 32 people, 5 or 6 tables and it was just play safe after safe until the last 3 balls then try to run out. It didn't get over until about 5 in the morning and all the bar staff left at 1, so no water even. I get safety play, but I'd rather play 1P if I'm wanting a chess match. Honestly I only saw one guy run 5 balls. They were all scared to miss on the last few balls so would usually just play safe or make one and play safe and let the other guy miss. A single race could last over an hour and a half.

With higher level players it plays way different but that was just a huge snooze fest. Sitting on winners side with 3 hours between matches. The last 5 balls were the only ones that even mattered, why drag it out for amateurs? Heck, the bar was shut down so they're not even making food or drink money.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't like that. I think you should be able to give the table back if someone pockets a ball when calling safety, or pockets a ball when missing their called shot in 8 ball, like how 10 ball is commonly played.

It's kind of weird how many people keep trying to make the game harder. I can see it for the pros, but the game is plenty hard as it is.

It's to prevent crap safeties in the same way called shot prevents crap made balls. Not a big fan of that either but I can see the appeal of that rule. If you think about it, why should an accidental safe be any better to do than an accidental made ball like in APA? I am 50/50 on that rule. I like the idea of 2-way shots and playing the % of "I may make it, I may get a safe" of shooting at harder shots that have a built in safety net. I think pool does need a bit of swinging for the fences so to say, where you go for a low % shot that has a high reward if executed instead of always just calling a safe if you are not 90% to make a ball. But I also don't feel that a crap safe is a good way to leave the table.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In truth, I just can't remember the details of Grady's version of 9ball. If you can dig up those rules, please post them.
There are several Accu-Stats videos using that rule, I think it is basically the same as the strict 10 ball rules of called shot/called safe where if you miss a called shot you can be forced to shoot again.

Reactions: sjm

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never minded losing a game on a lucky shot, but since lucky safes make up 90% of the luck in 9 ball once you get below the pro level, I'm all for giving the incoming player a "shoot again" option in the case of an accidental snooker. Maybe allow one two way option per rack if the player calls it in advance.

boogieman

I've never minded losing a game on a lucky shot, but since lucky safes make up 90% of the luck in 9 ball once you get below the pro level, I'm all for giving the incoming player a "shoot again" option in the case of an accidental snooker. Maybe allow one two way option per rack if the player calls it in advance.
I always let my opponent believe I got a lucky safe when one part of my 2 way shot works out. I'd suggest studying 2 way shots because I promise the stuff that happens isn't all "luck." If they start blaming rolls or something I just say "Well, you know how 9 ball is." Let em keep blaming luck, it makes for a good customer.

Speed, spin and angle can do amazing things in this game that look really lucky if you don't see a guy running around the table putting sticks down and measuring stuff. It just takes a glance to see what you need to do, measuring stuff is just giving them information. Leave them in the dark and let them sweat it.

I've had people get just pissed as could be and cussing lucky rolls. The thing is I'm a 1P player at heart and know how to keep the CB safe. I can and often do make it look like I missed a shot by a little bit. The truth is I was playing the line/tangent for a safe. If they make a wild hit on the low percentage shot I left them with, or even get a hit, they deserve it. There is luck in pool but luck over time is skill. One just has to figure out how to coax a bit of extra out of their shot selections. If you are even a decent actor or have a poker face they can't help but think it's luck. I prefer the poker face, but if they get into the gamesmanship of talking about luck, I'll gladly put on my acting hat. ;)

That said, I do get lucky from time to time, but it usually happens when you give it a chance to get lucky.

tomatoshooter

There is luck in pool but luck over time is skill
I think it's also about understanding the possible outcomes and their likelihood. It's not roulette luck, it's more like counting cards in blackjack luck. You make the play most likely to have a favorable outcome and if your estimation is accurate, you will come out ahead more often than not.