When do you play at your best?

Flakeandrun

In my short time playing, I have constantly been thinking about how I am playing and how I can improve. What can I learn from other players during a game? When am I playing my best? Is it against better, or worse opposition? Is it against myself? Do I play better when I know I am playing a machine, or when I am care-free playing nobody? I feel I've made a lot of improvement since I switched to playing pool a year ago. I certainly am a far better pool player than I ever was at snooker.

Personally, I think when playing better players I often up my game as a result of there being no expectation of coming close to winning. But my best shotmaking comes in these games where you have less pressure.

When (under what circumstance) do others think they play better?

I imagine a lot of Americans might say when there's $$$ on the line, but I don't find that to be the case for me (not when I can converse in the same language as the opponent anyway)

Who is the best player who has given you a proper smashing?

Wang Hung-Hsiang made me question why I bother playing this game... take my single rack and hold onto that... Don't even think he was firing on all cylinders. Amazing to watch. Spent a lot of time in the chair.

Who is the best player you've beat?

Zhu Xi He, which I wrote about a while ago. He was clearly sick, but I'll take it, as I felt I played well on the day. It was actually the first time I had the 'Oh my God, what is happening' feeling.

Who is the best player you've watched?

Dennis Orcullo playing 10-ball for money. An absolute weapon. Past his best many say, but I have never seen anything like that in person before.

How often/what do you practice or drill?

I am mostly playing games for table fees or petty cash, as it's more fun than solo practice. Solo practice is basically ghost play 9-ball, or long, stun shots moving progressively closer to rails, and a line drill (cutting balls in numerical order and moving between ends of the table). Both recommended to me by Shaw (think he said Hossein Vafei recommended to him, and doing both of these seemed simple, and not time-consuming. Both are simple enough to build confidence and reinforcing good habits in my game). I occasionally do the 'Magic X' but get bored pretty quickly of that.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are different styles of play. Not much sense watching the best in the world if you aren't going to play that style anyway.

I have never taken a proper smashing on a pool table. Lost certainly but for low stakes or in a tournament.

Most of my gambling was in bars and even in pool rooms people usually tiptoe a bit around strangers. The starting bet was generally twenty or less a game and if both players didn't think they had the better half of the deal they didn't raise the bet. I have played for major duckies a few times but always with a player I knew and whose game I knew.

When I started playing pool was about the time I started working in petro-chem sometimes. Union construction was nine and a nickel an hour, nine dollars a day for mileage and I guess three dollars for expenses. If I could get on a pool table, drink beer, and make the same money as union construction I was happy and I could usually about double or triple that without appearing too greedy. In the seventies that wasn't bad.

I played a few names over the years but none liked the game on my home turf enough to want to play for real money. I probably would have felt the same playing them on their home turf.

Home field advantage was worth at least a half ball to a ball, sometimes a lot more. The worse shape the place was in the more advantage to the local player. I sometimes played in a room that was hanging out over a big lake. The tables and sticks were in terrible shape and although I was a home town boy I had moved away and been forgotten so I was a long haired hippie stranger from Baton Rouge and those country boys didn't like long haired hippie strangers!

I did try to do a few drills. The L drill, putting all the balls in a circle maybe four inches apart and all balls had to be pocketed without the cue ball going outside the circle. I shot a few more drills, long forgotten. I knew the drills were a good idea but when I tried to do drills I soon had my mind on cars or girls or something else more important than drills. I sometimes practiced hitting the points missing or making the object ball 45 degrees across the table was usually the goal.

Picking a champion to emulate isn't a bad idea, picking one like you want to be and with a similar body build is best.

Hu

Flakeandrun

There are different styles of play. Not much sense watching the best in the world if you aren't going to play that style anyway.

I think sometimes there are things to learn even from drastically different styles of play. Things we might not usually think of. But maybe I am still so green that everything is new or learning to me. Often I am re-thinking or tinkering with shot selection. Mechanically, my action is pretty solid, I did spend a lot of time adjusting certain habits developed from years of snooker, and have written about it before. I think that a majority of my learning at this point is coming from watching patterns, shot selection etc.

I have never taken a proper smashing on a pool table. Lost certainly but for low stakes or in a tournament.

Most of my gambling was in bars and even in pool rooms people usually tiptoe a bit around strangers. The starting bet was generally twenty or less a game and if both players didn't think they had the better half of the deal they didn't raise the bet. I have played for major duckies a few times but always with a player I knew and whose game I knew.

When I started playing pool was about the time I started working in petro-chem sometimes. Union construction was nine and a nickel an hour, nine dollars a day for mileage and I guess three dollars for expenses. If I could get on a pool table, drink beer, and make the same money as union construction I was happy and I could usually about double or triple that without appearing too greedy. In the seventies that wasn't bad.

I played a few names over the years but none liked the game on my home turf enough to want to play for real money. I probably would have felt the same playing them on their home turf.

Home field advantage was worth at least a half ball to a ball, sometimes a lot more. The worse shape the place was in the more advantage to the local player. I sometimes played in a room that was hanging out over a big lake. The tables and sticks were in terrible shape and although I was a home town boy I had moved away and been forgotten so I was a long haired hippie stranger from Baton Rouge and those country boys didn't like long haired hippie strangers!

I did try to do a few drills. The L drill, putting all the balls in a circle maybe four inches apart and all balls had to be pocketed without the cue ball going outside the circle. I shot a few more drills, long forgotten. I knew the drills were a good idea but when I tried to do drills I soon had my mind on cars or girls or something else more important than drills. I sometimes practiced hitting the points missing or making the object ball 45 degrees across the table was usually the goal.

Picking a champion to emulate isn't a bad idea, picking one like you want to be and with a similar body build is best.
Agree with you, having a bank of favorites, or players of a similar style/build is a good way to scaffold forward progress, and I have tried to do that as best as I can. Little obsessed with Chang Jung Lin (love or hate him), and Ko Pin Yi. 10-ball/8-ball break has to be SVB, and Little Ko for the MR break (although I notice many players doing a similar hack on this that has worked out for me well so far)

That was an awesome read, thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated Hu! :)

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

When I am a railbird! I never miss.
I agree, in my head I always know what I would do... hahaha are you a chirper? I know it's part of the game, busy, loud rooms etc but one thing that really irks me is watching sideliners saying what they would do loudly during a match, almost like they're shadow coaching someone (usually someone much better than they are lol)

Flakeandrun

I play my best when I'm locked into my "vision center" and have little to no stress in life.
When do you feel locked in? Is it a luck of the draw kind of thing? Or a mechanics/alignment issue specific to your game?

There are some days I feel on fire, and others like I can't hold the bloody stick. I'm not the kind to blame mechanics/alignment for mistakes, and I've been playing cue sports for such a long time that I feel quite level-headed about how I approach that aspect, though I do occasionally get caught in that wormhole (Not so much now, and I feel quite switched on about the amendments made from my cue action when playing snooker/have had some good heads around me for advice in general). I am pretty sure most of the time the issue is shot selection for me, and then after that, the doubt that follows in every other shot.

When I started playing was primarily to avoid be at home during a break-up, so was playing everyday and taking a lot of positives from seeing progress. Was good 'mindfulness' activity for me, and helped me meet a lot of new friends. External stress has had both positive and negative effect for me at certain times. When you've got calls and texts about important issues taking away focus it's horrible, especially when playing for a little 'something'. But work, or social stress, I love putting that shit on silent and generally can see the relief filter into my game lol

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play my best when I don't have any expectations. This usually comes about when there's a dramatic skill difference--either I'm way ahead or way behind. In either case I'm not concerned and so I just...play. If I'm much better--I already know I will win--I'm not really concerned that the other guy will run out (I'm a C+ player so the only way I can be "much" better is if the other guy can't run more than a couple balls). If I'm much worse then there's a "nothing to lose" attitude--I already "know" I will lose. Those are the only times in competition I play as well as I do just playing the ghost on my home table. BnRs go up, shotmaking goes up, and decisions are quicker and clearer.

But once the specters of "you can win, you should win, you could win" start entering the equation I just get tense. I'm less confident. I'm second-guessing. I'm trying too hard to be perfect. I'm hard on myself when I do make a mistake (and then am more likely to make more). I start having self-defeating albeit accurate thoughts while shooting like "hey, if you miss this shot you will lose the rack" instead of just focusing on lining up and executing the shot.

Unfortunately, as I get better this anxious mindset now gets carried with me into even more matches. I just got in the mail today "The Inner Game of Tennis" which I've heard is a good read at dealing with the mental side of competition. Fingers crossed it helps. I'm not much of a drug guy, so I have to find other ways of dealing with that lump between my ears.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the Coke!!!

ezgif-4-8b434b3489.jpg

Flakeandrun

I play my best when I don't have any expectations. This usually comes about when there's a dramatic skill difference--either I'm way ahead or way behind. In either case I'm not concerned and so I just...play. If I'm much better--I already know I will win--I'm not really concerned that the other guy will run out (I'm a C+ player so the only way I can be "much" better is if the other guy can't run more than a couple balls). If I'm much worse then there's a "nothing to lose" attitude--I already "know" I will lose. Those are the only times in competition I play as well as I do just playing the ghost on my home table. BnRs go up, shotmaking goes up, and decisions are quicker and clearer.
But once the specters of "you can win, you should win, you could win" start entering the equation I just get tense. I'm less confident. I'm second-guessing. I'm trying too hard to be perfect. I'm hard on myself when I do make a mistake (and then am more likely to make more). I start having self-defeating albeit accurate thoughts while shooting like "hey, if you miss this shot you will lose the rack" instead of just focusing on lining up and executing the shot.
Last part is very relatable. Those mental circles can be very frustrating. Whether it's doubt about the match up, technique, shot selection or anything else. I am also a person who is quite hard on myself.

Unfortunately, as I get better this anxious mindset now gets carried with me into even more matches. I just got in the mail today "The Inner Game of Tennis" which I've heard is a good read at dealing with the mental side of competition. Fingers crossed it helps. I'm not much of a drug guy, so I have to find other ways of dealing with that lump between my ears.
Will look into the book. Thanks for sharing! I've read a few good ones/recieved some good advice. But it often falls out of my brain much too quickly! Where I live now, It's not possible to be / you wouldn't want to be a 'drug' guy.
I do know that I used to enjoy a little of the devil's lettuce when playing snooker back home (usually playing solo given the generally low-level of participation, or against my dad, which falls into your "I know I will lose" category, and I play quite freely and have learned to enjoy this much more now as an adult, than I ever did as a teenager picking balls out while he puts another ton up lol).
Recent exploits in Thailand have told me that the devil's lettuce and pool don't bond so readily/enjoyably for me, though it does make me care a lot less :ROFLMAO:

On the Coke!!!
Not had the luxury of Cola and a game, but then I live in a land where Cola would probably send you to the Gulag (or on a jet home).

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last part is very relatable. Those mental circles can be very frustrating. Whether it's doubt about the match up, technique, shot selection or anything else. I am also a person who is quite hard on myself.

Will look into the book. Thanks for sharing! I've read a few good ones/recieved some good advice. But it often falls out of my brain much too quickly! Where I live now, It's not possible (you wouldn't want to be a 'drug' guy).
I do know that I used to enjoy a little of the devil's lettuce when playing snooker back home (usually playing solo given the generally low-level of participation, or against my dad, which falls into your "I know I will lose" category, and I play quite freely, and have learned to enjoy more now as an adult than I ever did as a teenager picking balls out while he puts another ton up lol).
Recent exploits in Thailand have told me that the devil's lettuce and pool don't bond so readily for me, though it does make me care a lot less :ROFLMAO:

Not had the luxury of Cola and a game, but then I live in a land where Cola would probably send you to the Gulag (or on a jet home).
😲😲🤣🤣

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I used to play my best all the time for $$$ annd tournaments and that wasn’t always good enough. I always put it all out there win or lose. When playing friends I never really played my best though. Not fair them racking constantly. That wasn’t fun.

Thats changed over time. Now I am about 80-90% to play my best after an early round loss in a double elimination tournament. At least for the next match. I don’t mind losing the first one, but hate losing 2 in a row. And nothing worse than going 2 and out. Usually though I’ll just feel the gear kick in. Other times I’ll play my best only when my opponent is playing his/her best even if I feel like I can.

When intoxicated. Well that all changes….i might play my best. I might not. I don’t have much control over it.

One other thing. I play fast. I have to slow down a bit to play my best. But prefer the faster pace. So even when I do show my speed it’s usually not my top gear.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The Fight or Flight situations bring my best. I have experience playing players that used cocane or speed to enhance. It fires the same in the brain. I prefer getting that focus the natural way. The fight or flight isn't something I can generate artificially and it's not fun until it's over. Big bullies that try to intimidate with aggressive conduct can bring my best.
My best big tournament performances have come when I felt good about what was going on in my life. Quiting a dead end job and feeling good about it preceeded one of my best tournament performances.
Piss me off is a sure way to get my best. My first Big tournament victory came after an argument and dispute. A time when I felt good about what I was doing in life and the pissed off gave me the adrenaline lift that helped even after that bozo was dispatched.
When playing players that used chemicals, I figured them going to drugs for help was a sign of weakness. Their shot making was enhanced but their thinking was impaired. My challenge then became , out maneuver them as I wouldn't be able to out shoot them. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that most, who have experienced this, will tell you that their very best play occurs in the dead stroke space. That is, the times when thoughts surrender to a freedom from the negatives and the body responds in a suspended state where your choices and actions all align to perfection.

The dead stroke space may occur during a practice session, and we have seen players enter it in times of competition as well. You really can't plan for it, you cannot expect it to happen, but I think the key to repeating it more often and consistently is to understand how you felt about yourself just prior to your best play and, if possible, to understand the nuances of your table approach during the dead stroke time frame ( i.e. - how many warm up strokes between each shot, pace of play, choice of patterns, rhythm of play, etc.).

Straight pool is a great game to help develop the mind for extended free flow play- just watch any great 14.1 player during runs above 50 balls- they usually are moving where all the good stuff about great play comes together like a dance choreograph.

Some can achieve this during competition- some just can't seem to shake the negatives except during practice play.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Fight or Flight situations bring my best. I have experience playing players that used cocane or speed to enhance. It fires the same in the brain. I prefer getting that focus the natural way. The fight or flight isn't something I can generate artificially and it's not fun until it's over. Big bullies that try to intimidate with aggressive conduct can bring my best.
My best big tournament performances have come when I felt good about what was going on in my life. Quiting a dead end job and feeling good about it preceeded one of my best tournament performances.
Piss me off is a sure way to get my best. My first Big tournament victory came after an argument and dispute. A time when I felt good about what I was doing in life and the pissed off gave me the adrenaline lift that helped even after that bozo was dispatched.
When playing players that used chemicals, I figured them going to drugs for help was a sign of weakness. Their shot making was enhanced but their thinking was impaired. My challenge then became , out maneuver them as I wouldn't be able to out shoot them. 🤷‍♂️
I have played some of my best pool during those" fight or flight" moments on the table. However, it is usually a short lived experience. I know that I envy much more the players who move through matches with a much more even temperament of play -- they achieve greater consistency through all of their pool sessions.Yes we do all know examples of great players with " hurricane" approaches to the table--- but I look at someone like Efren, or Buddy Hall, or Nick Varner, or Ralph Soquet. - as greats who displayed a much more even flow in their game; from their first shot to their game winning shot.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
When I'm mad... Not 'mad' as in frustrated or upset. ...but mad at my opponents because I know in their minds, they believe they have ability to beat me. I consider it an insult, and I focus on proving a point at their expense.

I know it sounds silly, and it's honestly a hard head space to get into for me, as I'm generally pretty low key. However I liken it to how Micheal Jordan would find some axe to grind against his opponent on any given night. The intense desire to assert superiority over someone that's "challenging" you, is a powerful fuel. Not all are cut from that cloth. ...again I normally don't get there. When I do though... ;)