When do you play at your best?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshot_20240410-095553.jpg

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
When I'm mad... Not 'mad' as in frustrated or upset. .
I call it A Good Self Righteous Mad. I will stand my ground and if you aproach.......I will put you on your back. Right here right now. Tiger on the front Jack rabbit on the back. 🤷‍♂️
The Faux fighters will be exposed. The real fighters always ends in Agree. Some more cordial than others.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, in my head I always know what I would do... hahaha are you a chirper? I know it's part of the game, busy, loud rooms etc but one thing that really irks me is watching sideliners saying what they would do loudly during a match, almost like they're shadow coaching someone (usually someone much better than they are lol)
No chirper here. I learned to respect the game and those that play it years ago. I’ve seen many people get corrected for being disrespectful though. That’s always entertaining!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have played some of my best pool during those" fight or flight" moments on the table. However, it is usually a short lived experience. I know that I envy much more the players who move through matches with a much more even temperament of play -- they achieve greater consistency through all of their pool sessions.Yes we do all know examples of great players with " hurricane" approaches to the table--- but I look at someone like Efren, or Buddy Hall, or Nick Varner, or Ralph Soquet. - as greats who displayed a much more even flow in their game; from their first shot to their game winning shot.
That definitely gets the like reply button. 😉
That's where the Practice Practice Practice enters the equation.
The Dance steps.
The Balance
The Presentation
Daily rehearsals that are really personal fitness hour.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I agree, in my head I always know what I would do... hahaha are you a chirper? I know it's part of the game, busy, loud rooms etc but one thing that really irks me is watching sideliners saying what they would do loudly during a match, almost like they're shadow coaching someone (usually someone much better than they are lol)
My last little chirper paid 20 no 30 for his chirp. I call them up immediately.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my short time playing, I have constantly been thinking about how I am playing and how I can improve. What can I learn from other players during a game? When am I playing my best? Is it against better, or worse opposition? Is it against myself? Do I play better when I know I am playing a machine, or when I am care-free playing nobody? I feel I've made a lot of improvement since I switched to playing pool a year ago. I certainly am a far better pool player than I ever was at snooker.

Personally, I think when playing better players I often up my game as a result of there being no expectation of coming close to winning. But my best shotmaking comes in these games where you have less pressure.

When (under what circumstance) do others think they play better?

I imagine a lot of Americans might say when there's $$$ on the line, but I don't find that to be the case for me (not when I can converse in the same language as the opponent anyway)

Who is the best player who has given you a proper smashing?

Wang Hung-Hsiang made me question why I bother playing this game... take my single rack and hold onto that... Don't even think he was firing on all cylinders. Amazing to watch. Spent a lot of time in the chair.

Who is the best player you've beat?

Zhu Xi He, which I wrote about a while ago. He was clearly sick, but I'll take it, as I felt I played well on the day. It was actually the first time I had the 'Oh my God, what is happening' feeling.

Who is the best player you've watched?

Dennis Orcullo playing 10-ball for money. An absolute weapon. Past his best many say, but I have never seen anything like that in person before.

How often/what do you practice or drill?

I am mostly playing games for table fees or petty cash, as it's more fun than solo practice. Solo practice is basically ghost play 9-ball, or long, stun shots moving progressively closer to rails, and a line drill (cutting balls in numerical order and moving between ends of the table). Both recommended to me by Shaw (think he said Hossein Vafei recommended to him, and doing both of these seemed simple, and not time-consuming. Both are simple enough to build confidence and reinforcing good habits in my game). I occasionally do the 'Magic X' but get bored pretty quickly of that.
I played my best when I just got lost in the game, forgot about everything else and just played pool. It can take a long time on the table to get in this frame of mind. For me it usually happened when I played a very long session with someone/anyone. The bet no longer mattered. It was just about making the shot and getting position for the next shot. I would fall into a groove and just let myself go. Didn't really get in my head at all, not one thought about my stance, my stroke or anything else. Just see the shot and shoot. Kind of like the way Earl played for years!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think that most play their best pool when they are most locked into their pre-shot routine.

There are countless distractions that can get in the way of it. Some are obvious, such as noise and interruptions, others more subtle like poor playing conditions, bad room temperature or unwelcome music in the background. Even a slow opponent might take you out of your rhythm.

In my case, I ran out better to the song "Hey Jude" than to a song I'd never hear before called "I Love My Truck". I think that my inability to block out certain things affecting my pre-shot routine in a negative way at times was a weakness.

I recall somebody observing that Jose Parica's pre-shot routine and concentration wouldn't be broken if a marching band passed behind the pocket into which he was shooting. For most of us, it's very different.

To sum, absence of distractions, the right playing conditions, an opponent that plays at a reasonable pace, the right room temperature and humidity and the right background music seem to be the things that always helped me play my best.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that most play their best pool when they are most locked into their pre-shot routine.

There are countless distractions that can get in the way of it. Some are obvious, such as noise and interruptions, others more subtle like poor playing conditions, bad room temperature or unwelcome music in the background. Even a slow opponent might take you out of your rhythm.

In my case, I ran out better to the song "Hey Jude" than to a song I'd never hear before called "I Love My Truck". I think that my inability to block out certain things affecting my pre-shot routine in a negative way at times was a weakness.

I recall somebody observing that Jose Parica's pre-shot routine and concentration wouldn't be broken if a marching band passed behind the pocket into which he was shooting. For most of us, it's very different.

To sum, absence of distractions, the right playing conditions, an opponent that plays at a reasonable pace, the right room temperature and humidity and the right background music seem to be the things that always helped me play my best.
All good here, but my observation was that the very best players (Parica, Dennis, Keith, Buddy) were never affected or distracted no matter what the circumstances. They had their 100% focus on the boundaries of the pool table and no where else. I can't remember how many times I was with Dennis and serious money was on the line, and people were talking loud when he was shooting, sometimes directly at him. It used to make me so mad, but when I talked to Dennis between games he would just smile and say don't worry Jay it doesn't bother me. And it didn't! If anything it made him play even better!

Flakeandrun

The Fight or Flight situations bring my best. I have experience playing players that used cocane or speed to enhance. It fires the same in the brain. I prefer getting that focus the natural way. The fight or flight isn't something I can generate artificially and it's not fun until it's over. Big bullies that try to intimidate with aggressive conduct can bring my best.

I can't play with that level of adrenaline, I am not a particularly confrontational individual. Certain match-ups I guess I can relate to the feeling. But I need rhythm and general positivity, or even just focussed neutrality. Confrontation doesn't make me play better, it makes me want to use the other end of the cue :ROFLMAO:

When playing players that used chemicals, I figured them going to drugs for help was a sign of weakness. Their shot making was enhanced but their thinking was impaired. My challenge then became , out maneuver them as I wouldn't be able to out shoot them. 🤷‍♂️
Interesting. Can say I have only ever played one guy that was wired out of his mind. It didn't make him play better. Made him into an annoying, sharky ass hat. I can certainly see why these things may help, but I can also see how they would not :ROFLMAO:

I have played some of my best pool during those" fight or flight" moments on the table. However, it is usually a short lived experience. I know that I envy much more the players who move through matches with a much more even temperament of play -- they achieve greater consistency through all of their pool sessions.Yes we do all know examples of great players with " hurricane" approaches to the table--- but I look at someone like Efren, or Buddy Hall, or Nick Varner, or Ralph Soquet. - as greats who displayed a much more even flow in their game; from their first shot to their game winning shot.
Agree, and share that envy.

Flakeandrun

When I'm mad... Not 'mad' as in frustrated or upset. ...but mad at my opponents because I know in their minds, they believe they have ability to beat me. I consider it an insult, and I focus on proving a point at their expense.
I get what you mean, and I have certainly had that feeling when playing other sports/doing other things. But I think adrenaline gets the better of me in these situations.
I know it sounds silly, and it's honestly a hard head space to get into for me, as I'm generally pretty low key. However I liken it to how Micheal Jordan would find some axe to grind against his opponent on any given night. The intense desire to assert superiority over someone that's "challenging" you, is a powerful fuel. Not all are cut from that cloth. ...again I normally don't get there. When I do though... ;)
An interesting mindset, and something I think I would like to try if I can G myself up a bit. I'm usually the opposite. I like to quietly go about my business, and I find it so much easier to be mad at myself. I used to be quite outward with that, not in an aggressive way, but actually temperament is one of the things I have worked at most, and has helped me a lot.

Flakeandrun

I really play my best after skipping over long wordy posts that basically say nothing. ;)
Can always count on you bud haha I am quite enjoying the responses so far. Was more a post out of curiosity with some things in my mind. Just dodging work and seeing what people wanted to share :)

DeeDeeCues

I play my best when I don't have any expectations. This usually comes about when there's a dramatic skill difference--either I'm way ahead or way behind. In either case I'm not concerned and so I just...play. If I'm much better--I already know I will win--I'm not really concerned that the other guy will run out (I'm a C+ player so the only way I can be "much" better is if the other guy can't run more than a couple balls). If I'm much worse then there's a "nothing to lose" attitude--I already "know" I will lose. Those are the only times in competition I play as well as I do just playing the ghost on my home table. BnRs go up, shotmaking goes up, and decisions are quicker and clearer.

But once the specters of "you can win, you should win, you could win" start entering the equation I just get tense. I'm less confident. I'm second-guessing. I'm trying too hard to be perfect. I'm hard on myself when I do make a mistake (and then am more likely to make more). I start having self-defeating albeit accurate thoughts while shooting like "hey, if you miss this shot you will lose the rack" instead of just focusing on lining up and executing the shot.

Unfortunately, as I get better this anxious mindset now gets carried with me into even more matches. I just got in the mail today "The Inner Game of Tennis" which I've heard is a good read at dealing with the mental side of competition. Fingers crossed it helps. I'm not much of a drug guy, so I have to find other ways of dealing with that lump between my ears.

Along with inner game of tennis, I'd suggest reading, 'sports psyching'.

Flakeandrun

I played my best when I just got lost in the game, forgot about everything else and just played pool. It can take a long time on the table to get in this frame of mind. For me it usually happened when I played a very long session with someone/anyone. The bet no longer mattered. It was just about making the shot and getting position for the next shot. I would fall into a groove and just let myself go. Didn't really get in my head at all, not one thought about my stance, my stroke or anything else. Just see the shot and shoot. Kind of like the way Earl played for years!
That's so awesome. I definitely get hit with fatigue hard. I find my best comes out if I have a positive start to a set, especially if I see someone's head dip. When playing players who are way above my speed, if I start well, I also seem to hold it in that gear for a while (or maybe those are just the times I enjoyed or was proud of and remember best). The less that goes on in the brain the better, completely agree. I would murder to be able to dance around the table like Earl. Absolutely the opposite of how I seem to function. Pre-shot almost serves as a meditation/mind-clearing exercise for me.

Agree!

Seems we are quite similar in that respect. Headphones in helps me a lot, but they aren't always allowed (and I understand this could come across as rude or unsportsmanlike to some people - though personally, I think as long as you are aware of what's going on there's nothing unsportsmanlike about it).

Sometimes it's so many things that contribute to a feeling, as humans I think it's interesting that we try to put a finger on what exactly causes that feeling, rather than forcing ourselves to get in the zone. It amazes me how fast and easily the brain can go into negative mode, but positivity can be like pulling blood from a stone.

Sorry if my replies come across a bit disjointed. A lot going on in the thread and I just got back home from a little shooting :)

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

I know, right? All the mind chatter is gone by that point and you just play.
Super interesting. I think I need some 'mind-chatter' but the right kind if that makes sense? My inner monologue needs to be supporting and not heckling me. After a long session, sometimes I would rather be doing anything else, but then my focus and temperament/attitude Is not a strong point for me. I work hard at being less negative, cynical and generally keeping my head in situations in a lot of things in life.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
can't play with that level of adrenaline, I am not a particularly confrontational individual
It's not about confront as much as stand My ground. My reaction to aggressive or confront is stand my ground with sure confidence and a matter of fact attitude. Bob Lilly the smallish lineman said, "it ain't the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog." It's my presentation: they can take it either direction. I don't tell them "I won my last fight by 20 yards. 😉
Keeping that attitude on the fields of friendly strife is required at the highest level. Bashing with a shovel shooters are easy. It's the scalpel accurate old fart 8 ball masters that are a challenge.