When do you play at your best?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super interesting. I think I need some 'mind-chatter' but the right kind if that makes sense? My inner monologue needs to be supporting and not heckling me. After a long session, sometimes I would rather be doing anything else, but then my focus and temperament/attitude Is not a strong point for me. I work hard at being less negative, cynical and generally keeping my head in situations in a lot of things in life.
The first time I heard the phrase 'mind chatter' was from my friend pro player Laura Smith. Mind chatter refers to unnecessary self-talk that we often do that keeps us from finding the right flow of conscious and sub-conscious thoughts that puts us in the zone. The zone is not completely unconscious as some may think. It's a coordinated back and forth between the two to where it flows naturally and puts us in a mindset to perform without distractions.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably would help to play some blinders, and generally have a decent time of it if I was just dicking around with a few mates. Was not ideal for serious match play lol
You obviously need more training.
Screenshot_20231227-154620.jpg

Flakeandrun

The first time I heard the phrase 'mind chatter' was from my friend pro player Laura Smith. Mind chatter refers to unnecessary self-talk that we often do that keeps us from finding the right flow of conscious and sub-conscious thoughts that puts us in the zone. The zone is not completely unconscious as some may think. It's a coordinated back and forth between the two to where it flows naturally and puts us in a mindset to perform without distractions.
I see what you mean, so the 'mind-chatter' is unnecessary parts in the otherwise functioning/balanced machine

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you mean, so the 'mind-chatter' is unnecessary parts in the otherwise functioning/balanced machine
Exactly. When you're in the zone, your mind is in it's most efficient state. There's no extraneous stuff going on. When top level competitors start to feel the mind chatter coming on --- which is a feeling of being distracted --- they use triggers to help steer them back into efficient thinking. Pro tennis player Steffi Graff, for instance, used to punch her upper leg as her trigger. It was her reminder to move her legs which triggered her mind back into it's efficient state of thinking, because when she got distracted, the first thing that was affected was that her movement around the court became sluggish.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Steffi Graff, for instance, used to punch her upper leg as her trigger.
Have you noticed how many of the top snooker players tap a finger on the bridge hand? Usually the middle finger. After Barry Stark naming the ring finger as the trigger I tap my ring finger on the bridge hand as my reminder. It helps me 🤷‍♂️

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When do you feel locked in? Is it a luck of the draw kind of thing? Or a mechanics/alignment issue specific to your game?

There are some days I feel on fire, and others like I can't hold the bloody stick. I'm not the kind to blame mechanics/alignment for mistakes, and I've been playing cue sports for such a long time that I feel quite level-headed about how I approach that aspect, though I do occasionally get caught in that wormhole (Not so much now, and I feel quite switched on about the amendments made from my cue action when playing snooker/have had some good heads around me for advice in general). I am pretty sure most of the time the issue is shot selection for me, and then after that, the doubt that follows in every other shot.

When I started playing was primarily to avoid be at home during a break-up, so was playing everyday and taking a lot of positives from seeing progress. Was good 'mindfulness' activity for me, and helped me meet a lot of new friends. External stress has had both positive and negative effect for me at certain times. When you've got calls and texts about important issues taking away focus it's horrible, especially when playing for a little 'something'. But work, or social stress, I love putting that shit on silent and generally can see the relief filter into my game lol
I feel locked in when I see the line of sight perfectly (as I should for my vision center).

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you noticed how many of the top snooker players tap a finger on the bridge hand? Usually the middle finger. After Barry Stark naming the ring finger as the trigger I tap my ring finger on the bridge hand as my reminder. It helps me 🤷‍♂️
Sounds more like a habit to me.

I’ve just recently begun playing in local tournaments after a long layoff (I’m a come-back player). I reached the semis and the finals in two of the tournaments so far and I had no where near the nerves or trepidation I’ve experienced in the past.

At first I figured it was just my age and maturity but then I realized I took my beta-blocker meds just before each tournament. Sure enough they are on the banned list for illegal substances. For me it’s just a blood pressure med but who would have thought that they would be a banned substance.

Anyway, that’s when I play my best, especially under pressure 😊.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No time for negative! Jimmy Reid (rip) to a fellow Goucestermen!

Reactions: bbb

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odds are I play my best when I am consistently preparing, practicing, putting in the time required.

In tournament play if I can get through a few matches unscathed I tend to start playing with a little confidence which coincidentally leads to perhaps playing my best.

Nothing else is going to bring out the best game I have, no matter what thoughts I may have to the contrary.

Flakeandrun

I've always done that without thinking, and I think to some extent that is something my brain has simply copied from years of playing my father, as it is something he does. I had never really put a thought as to why I, he or anyone did that. Just assumed it was one of the things I'd picked up while trying to emulate his cue action. Interesting.

Like Fran said, I had always assumed it was a habit, as it is something I literally have no thought or control over, but often notice.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some strange reason, I found that I played my best around the time a full moon was occurring. I'm probably as Crazy as that sounds !