BRIDGE LENGTH Effects and Considerations

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates advantages and disadvantages of both long and short bridge lengths. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:17 - Recommended Length
0:46 - Stroking Errors
1:46 - Aiming
2:11 - Stroke Accuracy
---- 3:15 - cue elevation
4:59 - Speed Control
---- 5:30 - quarters
---- 6:53 - power shots
---- 7:51 - finesse safety
9:39 - Natural Pivot Length
---- 10:46 - BHE errors
---- 12:40 - power break
14:04 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates advantages and disadvantages of both long and short bridge lengths. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:17 - Recommended Length
0:46 - Stroking Errors
1:46 - Aiming
2:11 - Stroke Accuracy
---- 3:15 - cue elevation
4:59 - Speed Control
---- 5:30 - quarters
---- 6:53 - power shots
---- 7:51 - finesse safety
9:39 - Natural Pivot Length
---- 10:46 - BHE errors
---- 12:40 - power break
14:04 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
Excellent video Dave!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
In their defense, if you only use small amounts of sidespin with mostly short or medium distance shots on a table with big pockets, BHE works fine. :geek:
Not true. You can use a pivot (BHE) for LONG shots also IF you know BHA. What is BHA? Backhand AIMING. What to look for and aim the tip of the cue and ferrule at FIRST before creating the offset angle for pocketing the ball as well as spim. Something you know very little about.

Btw, your offsets in the video were very close to as far as could be done without a miscue. That's not necessary for applying English. Good to make whatever point you were trying to make but that's it.

Most pro players use a CLOSED BRIDGE. https://www.worldofpoolandbilliards.com/post/the-bridge-in-pool#:~:text=Most professional pool players use,control is typically more important.

snookered_again

Nice Video Thanks Dave,
i noticed that when you got to your power break shot, you let your cue ride on the cushion, I think so you get your cue lower than if you were to bridge on top of the rail.. The ergonomics might not be as good with your hand closer and on the table itself, where it would also be lower,so the cue would be more flat to the table. buthat would shorten your bridge length ( to put your hand beyond the rail and on the table itself shortens your bridge. )

Ive been experimenting a little abd foud that using that technique I have a different feel as I gues Im partly using sight but also the feel of my cue between my left and the cue.. It seems handy to do that if the CB is near the rail.

I think I'm finding that as you mentioned near the beginning the longer bridge helps you view the cue's direction better but my point is that when I put my fingers overtop as you did in your break shot, I have less of a view..of the cue as they are somewhat blocked by my fingers.

I'm thinking both techniques are valid but I guess wondering where you'd choose to support the cue by the rail, and when you would choose not to. It seemed a bit related.

of course as you change something like that, and you have a completely different feel, then for the first while, you make less good shots until you start to acclaim better aim with the new technique.

I think sometimes I choose to bridge on top of the rail just because it's a more natural stance, but if doing so means I can't keep my cue low, then there is a disadvantage.. so I'm weighing that up.. i do shot like that sometimes it's just not my favorite way to bridge beacuse it seems to reduce my accuracy. now some of that (admittedly) may be practice , and not only technique..

I play more snooker but most of this still applies, just the balls are smaller, so the contact point on the CB is also a bit lower.

more often I'm bothered by not having a place to put a bridge hand due to traffic in the area , and then there are other ways of forming an appropriate bridge when shooting over a ball.. we all encounter that a lot, and it often means shooting downward and accepting the reduced accuracy,, but maybe that's a further subject.

some that I play with use the bridge ( the one on the side of the table) to help bridge on a cushion because it's more comfortable ( due to physical disabilities) so what those players do is use the bridge for shots when its not just needed for distance, ( because they can't reach) but rather, for ergonomics or to overcome physical disabilities.

I haven't yet found a bridge-stick that is really suited to having "one foot on the rail and one on the table", as one may use on a awkward left handed shot along a rail for example.. we seem to have a number of bridges for shooting over balls and such and in various styles, but none seem made for this task , or really very suitable...
maybe the array of fixed bridges could be another topic, there are a number of them on the market with varying styles.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not true. You can use a pivot (BHE) for LONG shots also …

Actually, you can use pure BHE for every shot with given cue and cloth/ball conditions if you use the correct combinations of bridge length and cue elevation based on shot distance, shot speed, type of spin (or if you just adjust/fudge your aim based on feel/intuition/experience).

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice Video Thanks Dave,

Thank you, and you’re welcome.

i noticed that when you got to your power break shot, you let your cue ride on the cushion, I think so you get your cue lower than if you were to bridge on top of the railand the ergonomics might ot be as good with your hand closer and on the table itself, where it would also be lower,so the cue wiould be more flat to the table.

Actually, with the side break from that CB position, you can get the cue and more level than with using a rail bridge like I did.

snookered_again

Thank you, and you’re welcome.

Actually, with the side break from that CB position, you can get the cue and more level than with using a rail bridge like I did.
Yes I got that, you are trying to keep the cue as low as you can. often that is necessary..
do you think accuracy is affected by the use of either, ( open brige vs rail bridge) in instances where there is a choice?
In that particular shot it is a break, so you are trying to control the cue and it is quite a hard ( fast) shot as well, but that's not always the case when using that type of (rail) bridge.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I got that, you are trying to keep the cue as low as you can. often that is necessary..
do you think accuracy is affected by the use of either, where there is a choice?
in that shot you are trying to control the cue as it is quite a hard ( fast) shot as well,,,

Having the cue as level as possible is always better, except for elevated-cue shots like jumps and masses. For more info, see:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Actually, you can use pure BHE for every shot
Yes, you can. But you have to know how to adjust the aim and how much to angle the tip/ferrule and where to start the aim point on the OB/CB and where it finishes in conjunction with CB to OB overlaps.
with given cue and cloth/ball conditions if you use the correct combinations of bridge length and cue elevation based on shot distance, shot speed, type of spin (or if you just adjust/fudge your aim based on feel/intuition/experience).
You actually do know less than I thought you did. If you really know what you're doing based on knowledge, experience, and mega repetition for success, FEEL/INTUITION/GUESSING/ plays no role at all.

Where is your video on FEEL/INTUITION and how it is used for any shot at the table? Put one up or at least explain the process.
Feel/intuition/guesswork/fudging is exactly what you as an instructor should be trying to eliminate for pool players. If I know how to do it and other top instructors know and teach how to do it, maybe you need a lesson yourself.

Last edited:

Monti

Yes, you can. But you have to know how to adjust the aim and how much to angle the tip/ferrule and where to start the aim point on the OB/CB and where it finishes in conjunction with CB to OB overlaps.

You actually do know less than I thought you did. If you really know what you're doing based on knowledge, experience, and mega repetition for success, FEEL/INTUITION/GUESSING/ plays no role at all.

Where is your video on FEEL/INTUITION and how it is used for any shot at the table? Put one up or at least explain the process.
Feel/intuition/guesswork/fudging is exactly what you as an instructor should be trying to eliminate for pool players. If I know how to do it and other top instructors know and teach how to do it, maybe you need a lesson yourself.
Why did you replace intuition with guessing and then fudging? You are arguing something you have made up yourself! You basically agreed with his reply in your first paragraph and then found a way to continue your, frankly bizarre, agenda against him.
I may have missed them but where are all your articles , videos that help people explore understand and yes,debate, the different aspects of the game

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Why did you replace intuition with guessing and then fudging?
How is intuition more accurate than guessing? Is there a measurement that can be taken or used to determine intuition from one person to another? Is there a way to determine how intuition plays a role in any specific shot? Can intuition for one person be needed on certain aspects of pool while another needs zero intuition because they just know what to do, what to see, and how to do it from experience?
You are arguing something you have made up yourself! You basically agreed with his reply in your first paragraph and then found a way to continue your, frankly bizarre, agenda against him.
I guess you're way too much of a newbie to know what he and his compadres have in the way of an agenda against me and other top instructors and pool players. Yes, he and they do.
I may have missed them but where are all your articles , videos that help people explore understand and yes,debate, the different aspects of the game
You joined here 2 whopping years ago and seem to know all there is to know with 265 posts. I joined in 2006. Seek and Yee shall find. There's more information than you'll need. Only 13,465 posts.

Last edited: