Auto Grip Experiment

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Playing around with and Auto Grip Experiment....I am quite sure some of you jokers will say this is the dumbest thing since....well....ever....and it may not even work for some that grip with the first finger and thumb.....so you can ignore I guess...🙃

If you grip like I do...with the middle two fingers...or similar to a Golf grip...last three fingers.....I was experimenting with something that would tie/lock the middle two fingers together and make them work more as one....since the middle two fingers are the center of the hand it makes for a natural centered hand point and pivot point for the cue during the back and forward stroke....

Through some collaboration with a local player that made a suggestion of "lifting" the first finger off of the cue...(kind of like a trigger)....I came up with this device.

auto1.jpg
auto2.jpg
auto3.jpg
auto4.jpg
auto5.jpg

Initially I made this as more as the idea of a stroke training device....It locks the two fingers together making them work as one.....The first finger is "off the cue" although the device is rubber so it is flexible.....The device rides in the crease of the fingers directly above the knuckle and when you grip the cue land directly "under" the cue.....The device being directly under the cue seems to lock in consistency of grip and also promotes a straight stroke as the device should remain directly under the cue through the entire stroke.....

Highly doubt this will turn this 55 year old into a world beater.....but the initial effect has made the grip portion effortless and thoughtless now and has seemed to have jumped my stroke and shot making consistency....seems to have even improved my draw/follow stroke consistency as well

May very well be a placebo effect....time will tell...but so far this "experiment" has been a success....so much so that instead of just using it as a training device...I plan to wear it during the next tournament I make it out to.

I am sure some will say...oh that is stupid......That is fine...I get it....but It is just an experiment that I thought some might find interesting.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You should consider something to keep the pinky finger also off the cue

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
In golf this would be considered a' training aid' only, not allowed in play. Same should apply in pool imo.
I don't necessarily disagree...but if no rule is in place against it????? ....The initial intent was a grip/stroke training aid....I am messing around with putting it on and taking it off....seems like I play better with it on....but I do notice that my grip without it has also improved from the muscle memory it creates.....Right now I like it on because I think the muscle memory may fail under pressure.....IDK
Tried a version like that...but it did not function the same and I did not like it
Do you notice a reduction in the tendency to squeeze the cue?
Yes...with the first finger...since the trigger portion is off the cue and it is rubber/flexible....any pressure from the first finger on the trigger is like squeezing a spring....Also...the spring like action (of the trigger) keeps any pressure applied from the first finger off the cue....(unless you really over squeeze).

I am not an engineer...so a lot of this was an "oh wow" feeling when I tried it.

If anything...it makes for a precise, easily repetitive consistent grip

Reactions: bbb

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing around with and Auto Grip Experiment....I am quite sure some of you jokers will say this is the dumbest thing since....well....ever....and it may not even work for some that grip with the first finger and thumb.....so you can ignore I guess...🙃

If you grip like I do...with the middle two fingers...or similar to a Golf grip...last three fingers.....I was experimenting with something that would tie/lock the middle two fingers together and make them work more as one....since the middle two fingers are the center of the hand it makes for a natural centered hand point and pivot point for the cue during the back and forward stroke....

Through some collaboration with a local player that made a suggestion of "lifting" the first finger off of the cue...(kind of like a trigger)....I came up with this device.

View attachment 755522View attachment 755523 View attachment 755524View attachment 755525View attachment 755526

Initially I made this as more as the idea of a stroke training device....It locks the two fingers together making them work as one.....The first finger is "off the cue" although the device is rubber so it is flexible.....The device rides in the crease of the fingers directly above the knuckle and when you grip the cue land directly "under" the cue.....The device being directly under the cue seems to lock in consistency of grip and also promotes a straight stroke as the device should remain directly under the cue through the entire stroke.....

Highly doubt this will turn this 55 year old into a world beater.....but the initial effect has made the grip portion effortless and thoughtless now and has seemed to have jumped my stroke and shot making consistency....seems to have even improved my draw/follow stroke consistency as well

May very well be a placebo effect....time will tell...but so far this "experiment" has been a success....so much so that instead of just using it as a training device...I plan to wear it during the next tournament I make it out to.

I am sure some will say...oh that is stupid......That is fine...I get it....but It is just an experiment that I thought some might find interesting.
Very cool

bpeacock

View attachment 755522View attachment 755523 View attachment 755524View attachment 755525View attachment 755526

Interesting... Do some drills with it and without it and keep track of the results

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see where it might help someone who actually grips the cue. I use the two middle fingers as well but the cue just rests there. My hand is totally relaxed and the index and pinky just fall away naturally

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fulcrum off the back two fingers and use the front two and thumb to keep the cue in my hand. Only the pinky and ring fingers curl around the butt.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I fulcrum off the back two fingers and use the front two and thumb to keep the cue in my hand. Only the pinky and ring fingers curl around the butt.
since you use your pinky and those that use their index finger in their grip the OP's device is not for you
i had an instructor once mention to me to try and keep my thumb/index finger/and pinky finger pointed straight down
as a way to not grip too tightly
i also cradle the cue with my middel and ring finger
the index and pinky fingers are just along for the ride

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
since you use your pinky and those that use their index finger in their grip the OP's device is not for you
i had an instructor once mention to me to try and keep my thumb/index finger/and pinky finger pointed straight down
as a way to not grip too tightly
i also cradle the cue with my middel and ring finger
the index and pinky fingers are just along for the ride

This is very much a device for someone that holds the cue in the middle two fingers and uses the middle two fingers pretty much as the fulcrum....

For me....The first finger and thumb are just along for the ride...pointing down......(very much like a Golf grip)

The pinky is not the fulcrum for me.....The pinky is pretty much just along for the ride...but it does act as a brake of sorts....As the cue goes back...there is a ever so slight tension/pressure that builds on the pinky....almost like the draw string on a bow and arrow......Some will let the pinky kind of move to the side of the cue on takeaway.....I leave it on the bottom to let it act as a brake...(of sorts) so I don't take the cue back too far......I am sure some will say that is bad...but it is just the way I do it for (what I think) is a more consistent and compact stroke....It is pretty much a carry over from Golf as I gripped the club in my left hand with the last three fingers....So since I play pool left handed (played Golf right handed) and I really did not start playing pool in my lifetime until after I was already a Golfer......It was a natural transition to grip the cue in my left hand with the last three fingers.....(The books saying first finger and thumb never made sense to me nor felt right)

For me the middle two fingers are the grip fingers...and the fulcrum......I am not a just a support hooks type....nor am I a death grip type......I am I guess what you would call a "control the cue" type.....I want just enough pressure to control the cue....but not enough pressure to create tension.

I hear an audible feedback difference....and the contact feeling is different.....depending on grip pressure....too loose and the cue/cb contact sound is different than if I add just a touch of grip pressure and control the cue through the CB.....

Try purposeful different grip pressures through contact and you may hear/feel the difference....I am sure timing plays a role as well and the different grip pressure may ever so slightly change the timing so can't rule that out either.......

I am not searching for the ability to pocket a ball....I can do that.....and this device is not going to make someone make more balls and is not a auto aimer...(although it does help with alignment)............What I am searching for is that repetitive "pure" hit.....My experiment is to see if this gets me closer....;)

Joshua James

This is very much a device for someone that holds the cue in the middle two fingers and uses the middle two fingers pretty much as the fulcrum....

For me....The first finger and thumb are just along for the ride...pointing down......(very much like a Golf grip)

The pinky is not the fulcrum for me.....The pinky is pretty much just along for the ride...but it does act as a brake of sorts....As the cue goes back...there is a ever so slight tension/pressure that builds on the pinky....almost like the draw string on a bow and arrow......Some will let the pinky kind of move to the side of the cue on takeaway.....I leave it on the bottom to let it act as a brake...(of sorts) so I don't take the cue back too far......I am sure some will say that is bad...but it is just the way I do it for (what I think) is a more consistent and compact stroke....It is pretty much a carry over from Golf as I gripped the club in my left hand with the last three fingers....So since I play pool left handed (played Golf right handed) and I really did not start playing pool in my lifetime until after I was already a Golfer......It was a natural transition to grip the cue in my left hand with the last three fingers.....(The books saying first finger and thumb never made sense to me nor felt right)

For me the middle two fingers are the grip fingers...and the fulcrum......I am not a just a support hooks type....nor am I a death grip type......I am I guess what you would call a "control the cue" type.....I want just enough pressure to control the cue....but not enough pressure to create tension.

I hear an audible feedback difference....and the contact feeling is different.....depending on grip pressure....too loose and the cue/cb contact sound is different than if I add just a touch of grip pressure and control the cue through the CB.....

Try purposeful different grip pressures through contact and you may hear/feel the difference....I am sure timing plays a role as well and the different grip pressure may ever so slightly change the timing so can't rule that out either.......

I am not searching for the ability to pocket a ball....I can do that.....and this device is not going to make someone make more balls and is not a auto aimer...(although it does help with alignment)............What I am searching for is that repetitive "pure" hit.....My experiment is to see if this gets me closer....;)
Trying to sell them would probably be the way it gets banned.

eg9327

I have a technique that prevents squeezing and other issues. Simply rotate the cue continuously (with stroke hand) from aiming through stroking.
Alex Pagulayan does this. It obviously works for him. There was a professional golfer who would constantly grip and regrip as part of his shot preparation. Can't remember who that was. It would drive you buggy watching him.