Was this a foul?

SeniorTom

I hope this post is in the proper section.
Scenerio:
1) Opponent was solids
2) My shot, I was on the 8 ball
3) My intention was to hit the eight ball slowly hoping to hit a rail with either the 8 ball or opponents ball without making the solid in order to block his next shot.

I was unsuccessful in doing so. I hit the 8 ball a little too firmly which rolled into his solid and pocketed the solid into the corner, and the solid did not hit a rail on the way in because it just barely dropped over the edge. I left the eight ball right in front of the pocket, and it was also of course their turn for an easy victory. For some reason my opponent called a foul on me and said it was ball in hand, which he probably would have picked up the cue ball and put it back down in the same spot it was already in. He said the foul was because his ball on its way in did not hit a rail. Strange how this small situation escalated to pretty aggressive words and he never relented. He claims that if the ball doesn't hit a rail as it falls into the pocket it's a foul. Most everybody else argued that it doesn't matter as long as the ball dropped in the pocket, making it sufficient to be a legal shot. I'm am pretty sure it's got to be a legal shot, even though it was a slam dunk win for him, but we couldn't convince him. I would like to hear what other folks have to say. See attached photo for ball configuration prior to my shot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

SeniorTom

Pocketing his solid made for a legal shot.

Did he pick up the cueball without you confirming a foul on your part?

That would in turn be a foul on him.
I never thought of that aspect, that would have been sort of satisfying to me based on his reaction over my shot. But the answer is that he did not pick up the cue ball, so in that respect he was okay. He had pretty much the easiest shot you could imagine on a pool table pocketing the eight ball . Although, that is something to remember as well. Thanks for the posts!

SeniorTom

That guy owes you an apology. He should study a rule book before he competes again and disrupts play with ridiculous assumptions.
He's a real sour type of person, who if he doesn't get his way, oftentimes leaves or argues. I don't mind when he leaves, it's better without him there. Nonetheless, everybody in the world knew he was wrong but he just kept on persisting. The next time I seen him he didn't even complain about it, because he knew he made an ass of himself and was wrong.