3 Piece Cues

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

With all the travelling that I'm gonna be doing, I was toying with the idea of buying a 3 piece cue so that it would allow me to check in 2 bags of actual stuff and to give me a peace of mind that my equipment is not going to end up as firewood somewhere in a TSA break room.

I'm wondering, which cuemakers can make me a 3 piece cue? I know that there were a few threads regarding 3 piece cues but I wanna know who people think would be a good choice. If anyone could post links to these threads it would be great --- I tired conducting a search for them but was unsuccessful. Links to pictures would be awesome.

Also, considering that part of the shaft will be jointed, how does this affect the hit / playability of the cue? I play with an Ed Young, so you can say that I am used to a stiffer / crisper hitting cue....I'm wondering if this is even a possibility with the 3 piece cues.

Also, if anyone could enlighten me as to how much these cues usually cost, it would really help me make a decision too. I know that Brian Bonner can make the cue cases for these cues -- i think I've seen pix up somewhere.

Basically, it's a toss up between me making a 3 piece cue and being able to check this cue in, or just buying a cheap playing cue and go back to checking my cue case as a separate piece of luggage.

thanks in advance

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
raemondo said:
Hi guys,

With all the travelling that I'm gonna be doing, I was toying with the idea of buying a 3 piece cue so that it would allow me to check in 2 bags of actual stuff and to give me a peace of mind that my equipment is not going to end up as firewood somewhere in a TSA break room.

I'm wondering, which cuemakers can make me a 3 piece cue? I know that there were a few threads regarding 3 piece cues but I wanna know who people think would be a good choice. If anyone could post links to these threads it would be great --- I tired conducting a search for them but was unsuccessful. Links to pictures would be awesome.

Also, considering that part of the shaft will be jointed, how does this affect the hit / playability of the cue? I play with an Ed Young, so you can say that I am used to a stiffer / crisper hitting cue....I'm wondering if this is even a possibility with the 3 piece cues.

Also, if anyone could enlighten me as to how much these cues usually cost, it would really help me make a decision too. I know that Brian Bonner can make the cue cases for these cues -- i think I've seen pix up somewhere.

Basically, it's a toss up between me making a 3 piece cue and being able to check this cue in, or just buying a cheap playing cue and go back to checking my cue case as a separate piece of luggage.

thanks in advance

They're called Break/Jump cues. Search away!

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
raemondo said:
Hi guys,

thanks in advance
Why not just buy a large rolling travel bag and put your cue case and clothes and everything into that 1 bag and only check it?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
They're called Break/Jump cues. Search away!

Actually , I think he wants a cue with 3 equal sized peices that will make packing/storing/traveling easier.

Of course there is no size advantage to a j/b since the shaft is still normal length.

Personally , I've never shot with one but I would assume that if there's is a Sneaky style joint somewhere in the shaft it would add stiffness but I don't imagine it would be too bad. Probably best to go ask in the Cuemakers forum tho.

:)

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Intriguing ideas. Are you looking for a cue with roughly equal lengths for the three sections?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
Why not just buy a large rolling travel bag and put your cue case and clothes and everything into that 1 bag and only check it?

He want to carry it on rather than have it stolen or taken from a checked bag.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Sounds more like a 4 piece cue, I can't remember the A-Z members name, but they did post pics of it last year.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
He want to carry it on rather than have it stolen or taken from a checked bag.
Oh well the baggage size isn't the problem for a pool cue to be carried on. It's the item itself. Since 9/11 Pool cues havnt been allowed as carry ones. So regardless what kind of case you put it in, once you get to security and they look through it they are going to make you check it anyway.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
Actually , I think he wants a cue with 3 equal sized peices that will make packing/storing/traveling easier.

Of course there is no size advantage to a j/b since the shaft is still normal length.

Personally , I've never shot with one but I would assume that if there's is a Sneaky style joint somewhere in the shaft it would add stiffness but I don't imagine it would be too bad. Probably best to go ask in the Cuemakers forum tho.

:)

Yeah, you're not going to get a decent cue that splits in three equal parts. The shaft simply has to be a certain length. I saw a 4-piece cue that had a square case and it played like ass.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:

Not really. If some want to steal a cue, it would been the butt not the shaft. So talking the butt with you will be better.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a 3 piece traveling cue start here.

http://www.cuemaker.com/smugglercue.htm

http://www.cuemaker.com/dieck4himpacifictour2005.JPG
was in HO CHI MINH CITY [HCMC], formerly SAI GON, March of 2005 while playing for the Championship Of The City, which he won [8 Ball]. Was played at a very upscale bar called "The Apocalypse Now", and it was. But Dieckman izz the 8- BALL CHAMPION OF SAI GON, 2005. And he did it with one of his own cues, the three piece one that some of you may have seen.

Also www.caromcues.com
http://www.caromcues.com/inventory.htm

I sometime use a baseball bag found at sporting stores. a compartment for cue and case, plus clothes for a weekend trip.
http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball...E_SESSION_ID=5079efdcc0a869661bb2ba525e0f9043

I like these too:
http://www.baseballexp.com/Mizuno-E...*/Ntk/Style/VCategory/SearchResults/index.pro
http://www.baseballexp.com/catalog/...Ntt=360115*&Ntk=Style&VCategory=SearchResults

Last edited:

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

Yes I am looking for a cue that breaks apart equally (or not) into 3 parts. And yes, it's for the ease of air travel. I'd prefer not to buy a bigger luggage bag because I already have a decent one and there are size requirements for check-in luggage as well. Also, if I were to use this option, I'd prefer to always have my cues in a toughass case like my instroke rather than a cheapo 1x1. But really, one of the main reasons is that on business travels, I'm not hauling my biggest luggage bag anywhere just to fit my instroke.

Kelly Fisher

I travel ALOT with my cue's and never lost them once, allthough I have lost a couple of suit cases. I think the handler's that steal are more interested in the contents of suit cases.

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kelly Fisher said:
I travel ALOT with my cue's and never lost them once, allthough I have lost a couple of suit cases. I think the handler's that steal are more interested in the contents of suit cases.

Hey Kelly, just wondering, I used to travel a lot with my cues as well --- did you ever insure them? Either with the airline you travel or with a separate insurance company? How do you pack your cues? I place mine in an instroke, pad it with clothing, and then into a porper travel bag.

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billiardshot said:
For a 3 piece traveling cue start here.

http://www.cuemaker.com/smugglercue.htm

http://www.cuemaker.com/dieck4himpacifictour2005.JPG
was in HO CHI MINH CITY [HCMC], formerly SAI GON, March of 2005 while playing for the Championship Of The City, which he won [8 Ball]. Was played at a very upscale bar called "The Apocalypse Now", and it was. But Dieckman izz the 8- BALL CHAMPION OF SAI GON, 2005. And he did it with one of his own cues, the three piece one that some of you may have seen.

Also www.caromcues.com
http://www.caromcues.com/inventory.htm

I sometime use a baseball bag found at sporting stores. a compartment for cue and case, plus clothes for a weekend trip.
http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball...E_SESSION_ID=5079efdcc0a869661bb2ba525e0f9043

I like these too:
http://www.baseballexp.com/Mizuno-E...*/Ntk/Style/VCategory/SearchResults/index.pro
http://www.baseballexp.com/catalog/...Ntt=360115*&Ntk=Style&VCategory=SearchResults

Thanks for the info!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, you're not going to get a decent cue that splits in three equal parts. The shaft simply has to be a certain length. I saw a 4-piece cue that had a square case and it played like ass.

I'm not so sure about this. A 4-piece cue isn't a 3-piece cue, and one isn't much of a sampling. I bet the four piece had lots of metal in the joints, and today there are alternatives to that.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Kelly Fisher

raemondo said:
Hey Kelly, just wondering, I used to travel a lot with my cues as well --- did you ever insure them? Either with the airline you travel or with a separate insurance company? How do you pack your cues? I place mine in an instroke, pad it with clothing, and then into a porper travel bag.
I never insure my cues, I just put my pool bag in a Porper and away I go!

Val Finnie once has her cues coming home from Portland OR. on a Delta flight and I'm sure she claimed the full airline comp of $2500 but she had to show reciepts and it took forever.

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 3 piece travel cue

raemondo said:
Hi guys,

thanks in advance

Since you're a fellow Illini... I have a nice 3 piece cue made by Richard Sheldon (www.sheldoncue.com) that I travel with. I even have a nice little envelope case made by Nitti. It's black with white stitching.

It plays fine, a bit stiff due to the short length of the shaft, but it hits plenty good.

Lou Figueroa also has one by Sheldon and plays with it regularly.

Attachments

• 3 piece travel cue.JPG
    3 piece travel cue.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 314