Tell us about your AZ's User Name

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have a tattoo that says Johnny on my arm. I got it in a biker bar in Fairbanks, Alaska in 1963. It was supose to be Johnny and Barbara (I married Ginny). When I po the tattoo artist telling him I didn't like the way Johnny looked him and his buddies threw me out of the loint not finishing the rest.

When I got back to the lower 48 (NY) someone in my home poolroom started calling me Johnnyt (last name starts with T) .When people would ask why I got my own name on my arm I would tell them "In case I get lost stupid". I drank a bit back then. Johnnyt

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where I used to work we were constantly getting paged to the front for customer assistance: _____, please come to the front desk, guest waiting, etc.

After a while it got so boring that we came up with nick names and codes. After this, whenever I was needed they would say, "excuse me, I'll get him for you", then they would page: "The Tin Man rides the blue bus to funkytown"........much cooler place to work after that.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
User name

'Snapshot' is my Pool nickname, given to me by Skeet Buscher when I lived in Indy. He was the TD and published the 'Indy Pool News'. I won a monthly tournament there with about 48 players, beating Brian Groce in the finals on 8 foot tables at the Billiard Cafe in the NE mall area.

And 9, of course, is for 9 ball.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
When I first started taking lessons from a champion player; he told me that a player knows he is a champion when he can walk into any pool hall, and the only question or concern he has about a potential opponent is, "Will he bet more?"

He also said that you don't want to be the type of player about whom everyone asks, "Will he bet more?"

I feel that I may be tending more towards the second example....but heck...I guess I should go practice.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This thread is like,
beatdeadhorse.gif

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
This thread is like,
beatdeadhorse.gif

Really??? That is how you came up with CocoboloCowboy??? You were out on the range one day beating a dead horse and thought to yourself...
"Hey....CocoboloCowboy"

9BallPaul

Banned
My first name is Paul

I stole my name from a guy I played in San Francisco in 1967, a guy whose real name was Paul Silva. Fabulous player, played pool like no one I'd seen before or since. Used lots of draw english and sometimes seemed as though he'd run the whole rack and his cue ball never touched a rail.

Some players are mechanics, others are artists. He was an artist. He also robbed me of my entire bankroll.

Yet he was playing me for just a few bucks a game. He was known at The Palace and Cochran's as Nine Ball Paul. He's been mentioned on this forum a few times, but it's rare. Still, a wonderful player in my estimation.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
9BallPaul said:
I stole my name from a guy I played in San Francisco in 1967, a guy whose real name was Paul Silva. Fabulous player, played pool like no one I'd seen before or since. Used lots of draw english and sometimes seemed as though he'd run the whole rack and his cue ball never touched a rail.

Some players are mechanics, others are artists. He was an artist. He also robbed me of my entire bankroll.

Yet he was playing me for just a few bucks a game. He was known at The Palace and Cochran's as Nine Ball Paul. He's been mentioned on this forum a few times, but it's rare. Still, a wonderful player in my estimation.

I came up there the first time in 1968, and then back again in 1969. I played Paul, Joe Smiley, Ronnie Barber, Jack Cooney, Dave Piona and Trees. I conspicuously avoided Denny Searcy. Paul was the best 9-Baller of the bunch, with Joe second. He came up to Reno a few times in the 80's I think. It's been a while since I've heard about him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had to use Jay Helfert because Minnesota Fats was taken. Pretty soon you'll be able to call me LA Fats. :)

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
This is the 3rd thread I've answered this question....

Kurt Vonnegut was one of my favorite writers, one of my favorite books of his was Cat's Cradle, voila.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing Snooker with a friend & there was an old man watching us. After I played 3 lockup safties in a row, he called me over to him. "Do you know this guy you're playin'"? I said "ya he's my best friend". He said " well if that's the way you treat your friends, you must have a black heart. Some people at the counter over heard him & started teasing me about having a black heart & the nickname stuck. When I started making pool cues, players started saying "oh ya, that's one of black heart's cues". My wife said, that I should use a black heart on my butt cap, like Mcdermott uses the shamrock. That was 1986 & I've been puttin' it on there, ever since...JER

Last edited:

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
During the two Reagan administrations, I couldn't sleep nights. So I drove a cab.

This might be the single most confusing thing I've ever read in these forums.Maybe if I knew who the Bickle cat was it would make some sense.

Either way it made me laugh.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine started calling me "Fatboy" in the pool room around 86 and it just stuck. I'm fat so it fits i weighed 227 today. I never expected it to become widely known at the time, funny how things work. Now I just need to learn how to play.

Last edited: