An old story about 'San Jose Dick" Dick Moran

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Well as most all my stories start out, it was way back when:...1973, I was 14yrs. then, had been around pool and playing for only 2 yrs.

There were three pool halls in Warren,Arkansas......

One was called Barney's, that's where mostly all the old men gathered to play, another was Wayne's, it had a restaruant in the front part that was divided by a big glass plate window, which had the pool hall on the other side, a mixture of 30 yrs and above guy's, then there was Rod's pool hall about a block away from the rest down beside the railroad tracks next to the bakery,which consisted of the younger crowd 14yrs to 30yrs old guy's.

All these pool halls at the time had three 5x10 snooker tables and two 4x8 pool tables in each of them.( this was the tail end of the hall's their, for they all closed within 5 yrs from that time)

Snooker was 10 cents a cue, 8 ball was 15 cents agame, 9-ball was 10 cents agame, and you could play golf or pool on "time" for 1 1/2 cent a minute.

Well it was in the summer, I was at Rod's pool hall one afternoon and these two new guy's came walking into the pool hall, you know how it is when new people walk into a locale bar, or pool room, everyone's eye's are on them! well this was no different.

Well Dick and his road partner walked in,( Dick looked tobe in his mid to late 30's) nice shirt,jeans,tennis shoes, and what LQQKED tobe wearing "Fishing Hats"

They eased around and got them a coke, and chips and just sat around for a few, then wandered over to the counter where the owner and I was setting, well they started out with the small talk you know, then the owner ask what they was doing in town ?......

Dick said: and I remember it very well "Were Fishing" and the owner said: what you fishing for?...

Dick come back: "Anything That Will Bite" hehe

The owner was pretty savey, and said yeah, ya'll LQQKing for a pool game ain't ya!

Dick says yeah, any small action around?, owner says maybe......he looks at me and say's go get your brother Calvin and tell him that some road players are here wanting to play.

Man I jumped like a "cat', I ran down those railroad tracks about a mile away to our house and told my brother about the players at the pool hall wanting to play some.

Calvin was about 24 yr. at the time and well versed in pool, he came to the pool hall, he and Dick agreed to play $20.00 9-ball, and that was a big game for around there at the time.

Warrens population was only 6,000 at the time and still is about the same.

Well the news spread like 'wild fire" around town in both of the other halls that there was a big game going on at Rod's.

Soon there was standing room only in that pool hall, cars pulling up, people standing outside peering through the windows, I'm not kidding!

Hell it looked like someone had gotten murdered around there, the "Chief of Police" came down to see what was going on!, and he hated gamblers, especially my brother, so he stood around giving the "evil eye" for awhile! then left.

The 9-ball game was going back and forth for awhile, then Dick ask the owner of the pool hall if he could make him a mixed drink, ( now Warren,Ar. was a dry county, still is) but the owner said Ok, (that was a first and only time he ever allowed it) but Dick got a 7-UP outta the coke machine and went out back to their ride and mixed him one!.....and as time went by Dick went out back several times!

Well Dick being the more "Seasoned " player bested Calvin outta $200.00, not real big $money but not bad!

After the 9-ball game was over Calvin ask Dick to go up the street to Wayne's pool hall and play snooker, Dick agreed, and off they went, I think they broke even playing snooker that evening(night).....

I have had a lot of "RESPECT" for San Jose Dick ever since that day at the pool hall..........

many yrs. later.....

Back in 1998, Dick came to Texarkana,Ar. and played in a fairly big 9-ball tournament, and Calvin ask Dick if he remembered that time back in "73," but he didn't, but most players only remember the times they lose!, not the wins so much!, thats a given!, or atleast it is that way with me!

The next day after this tournament in Texarkana, I did play in a 5 handed 9-Ball ring game down at Calvin's club with Calvin,some guy from Texas, Dick and this other guy from Arizona that had gotten sucker punched in the eye during the tournamment the day before, I came out pretty good winner in that ring game!. .....

Well thats how I remembered it!:smile:

David Harcrow

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
Well as most all my stories start out, it was way back when:...1974, I was 15yrs. then, had been around pool and playing for only 3 yrs.

There were three pool halls in Warren,Arkansas......

One was called Barney's, that's where mostly all the old men gathered to play, another was Wayne's, it had a restaruant in the front part that was divided by a big glass plate window, which had the pool hall on the other side, a mixture of 30 yrs and above guy's, then there was Rod's pool hall about a block away from the rest down beside the railroad tracks next to the bakery,which consisted of the younger crowd 14yrs to 30yrs old guy's.

All these pool halls at the time had three 5x10 snooker tables and two 4x8 pool tables in each of them.( this was the tail end of the hall's their, for they all closed within 5 yrs from that time)

Snooker was 10 cents a cue, 8 ball was 15 cents agame, 9-ball was 10 cents agame, and you could play golf or pool on "time" for 1 1/2 cent a minute.

Well it was in the summer, I was at Rod's pool hall one afternoon and these two new guy's came walking into the pool hall, you know how it is when new people walk into a locale bar, or pool room, everyone's eye's are on them! well this was no different.

Well Dick and his road partner walked in,( Dick looked tobe in his mid to late 30's) nice shirt,jeans,tennis shoes, and what LQQKED tobe wearing "Fishing Hats"

They eased around and got them a coke, and chips and just sat around for a few, then wandered over to the counter where the owner and I was setting, well they started out with the small talk you know, then the owner ask what they was doing in town ?......

Dick said: and I remember it very well "Were Fishing" and the owner said: what you fishing for?...

Dick come back: "Anything That Will Bite" hehe

The owner was pretty savey, and said yeah, ya'll LQQKing for a pool game ain't ya!

Dick says yeah, any small action around?, owner says maybe......he looks at me and say's go get your brother Calvin and tell him that some road players are here wanting to play.

Man I jumped like a "cat', I ran down those railroad tracks about a mile away to our house and told my brother about the players at the pool hall wanting to play some.

Calvin was about 24 yr. at the time and well versed in pool, he came to the pool hall, he and Dick agreed to play $20.00 9-ball, and that was a big game for around there at the time.

Warrens population was only 6,000 at the time and still is about the same.

Well the news spread like 'wild fire" around town in both of the other halls that there was a big game going on at Rod's.

Soon there was standing room only in that pool hall, cars pulling up, people standing outside peering through the windows, I'm not kidding!

Hell it looked like someone had gotten murdered around their, the "Chief of Police" came down to see what was going on!, and he hated gamblers, especially my brother, so he stood around giving the "evil eye" for awhile! then left.

The 9-ball game was going back and forth for awhile, then Dick ask the owner of the pool hall if he could make him a mixed drink, ( now Warren,Ar. was a dry county, still is) but the owner said Ok, (that was a first and only time he ever allowed it) but Dick got a 7-UP outta the coke machine and went out back to their ride and mixed him one!.....and as time went by Dick went out back several times!

Well Dick being the more "Seasoned " player bested Calvin outta $200.00, not real big $money but not bad!

After the 9-ball game was over Calvin ask Dick to go up the street to Wayne's pool hall and play snooker, Dick agreed, and off they went, I think they broke even playing snooker that evening(night).....

I have had a lot of "RESPECT" for San Jose Dick ever since that day at the pool hall..........

many yrs. later.....

Back in 2001 or 2002?, Dick came to Texarkana,Ar. and played in a fairly big 9-ball tournament, and Calvin ask Dick if he remembered that time back in "74," but he didn't, but most players only remember the times they lose!, not the wins!, thats a given!

The next day after this tournament in Texarkana, I did play in a 5 handed 9-Ball ring game down at Calvin's club with Calvin,some guy from Texas,Dick and his road partner that had gotten sucker punched in the eye during the tournamment. .....

Well thats how I remembered it!:smile:

David Harcrow

David,

Thanks for the memories. I really don't recall the first time, but it had to be about '72 or '73 (and I think I was there with Billy T Dyer from Dallas) because in '74 I was in Phoenix starting a 20 year career with UPS.
The 2nd time you refer to was 1998 and I was up there with Charlie Brown, from Henderson TX. I haven't been back since.
We went up there from Grady's Legends of 1P tournament in Baton Rouge.The 9 ball tournament in Texarkana you are refering to was upstairs in an old converted train depot, wasn't it ? Lot of good players there for that one. Lots of Action.
Those were good times. hope you and Calvin are doing well. Good to hear from you.

Dick

I remember the guy with the black eye, but I can't remember who it was. I don't think he was with me, but I can't remember for sure. Time sure blurs a lot of things huh ?

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
David,

Thanks for the memories. I really don't recall the first time, but it had to be about '72 or '73 (and I think I was there with Billy T Dyer from Dallas) because in '74 I was in Phoenix starting a 20 year career with UPS.
The 2nd time you refer to was 1998 and I was up there with Charlie Brown, from Henderson TX. I haven't been back since.
We went up there from Grady's Legends of 1P tournament in Baton Rouge.The 9 ball tournament in Texarkana you are refering to was upstairs in an old converted train depot, wasn't it ? Lot of good players there for that one. Lots of Action.
Those were good times. hope you and Calvin are doing well. Good to hear from you.

Dick

I remember the guy with the black eye, but I can't remember who it was. I don't think he was with me, but I can't remember for sure. Time sure blurs a lot of things huh ?

Dick,

The time line was '73 for the first story and your prolly right about it being '98 for the second .

Yeah Charlie Brown is a good man, hella stake horse, haven't seen him in about 5 yrs. now, hope he's still kicking!

I talked to Calvin and he said that the guy with the blacked eye "WAS" from Arizona, but just happen to show up for the tournament, thats where I got the assumption he was with you, sorry bout that.

And yes that was the old train station/depot..(about a 100 yrs. old).hella place for a pool room, but would hate to pay the heating and cooling bill, those ceiling were extremly high, but the acoustics were awesome!

Thank you very much, Calvin and me are doing just fine..
I wish you all the best too!

David

I edited the story , so it's right now!:smile:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:
Dick,

The time line was '73 for the first story and your prolly right about it being '98 for the second .

Yeah Charlie Brown is a good man, hella stake horse, haven't seen him in about 5 yrs. now, hope he's still kicking!

I talked to Calvin and he said that the guy with the blacked eye "WAS" from Arizona, but just happen to show up for the tournament, thats where I got the assumption he was with you, sorry bout that.

And yes that was the old train station/depot..(about a 100 yrs. old).hella place for a pool room, but would hate to pay the heating and cooling bill, those ceiling were extremly high, but the acoustics were awesome!

Thank you very much, Calvin and me are doing just fine..
I wish you all the best too!

David

I edited the story , so it's right now!:smile:

David,

Charlie is sill kickin', he's pushing 80 now. He's still the King of the calcutta buyers. He and I are sharing a room at DCC in a few weeks. Still talk to him often, but haven't seen him since '98.
When I first moved to Houston (around '66,) my old car was wore out. Charlie co-signed for me to buy a '64 Chevvy Impala. How many guys would do that for a busted pool player?
He was also best man at my wedding, 41 years ago. (wife # 2, didn't last long)
He lost his sweet wife Dorothy to cancer a few years ago. It was hard on him, but he's a tough old bird. His health is better than mine and I'm 6 years younger.

Take Care,

Dick

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David...that's a great story! Thanks for sharing it. However, historically, it's actually the opposite. Players remember their wins...not their losses! LOL:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

catpool9 said:
most players only remember the times they lose!, not the wins!, thats a given!

David Harcrow

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
David,

Charlie is sill kickin', he's pushing 80 now. He's still the King of the calcutta buyers. He and I are sharing a room at DCC in a few weeks. Haven't seen him since '98. When I first moved to Houston (around '66,) my old car was wore out. Charlie co-signed for me to buy a '64 Chevvy Impala. How many guys would do that for a busted pool player?
He was also best man at my wedding, 41 years ago. He lost his wife Dorothy to cancer a few years ago. It was hard on him, but he's a tough old bird. His health is better than mine and I'm 6 years younger.

Take Care,

Dick

Charlie Brown is one of my favotires. I never saw anyone who enjoyed calcuttas more than Charlie and is also pretty srewd with them. He doesn't make many dumb moves.

Besides that, he is just one heck of a human being. He means no harm to anyone, but, the man ain't no sissy by ant nmeans of the imagination.

He speaks very highly of Dick.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
David...that's a great story! Thanks for sharing it. However, historically, it's actually the opposite. Players remember their wins...not their losses! LOL:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

IMO, this is not quite accuarate. They remember the losses all too well. For many, they just don't like admitting them, but they remember.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
One of our good guys

SJD is EASILY one of AZB's and OnePocket.org's best members. He's done much to preserve the lore of yester-year, posts good and informative stories, and personally speaking, he once did something for me that nobody had ever offered to do before. I can't go into details, because he'd be inundated with a bazillion requests to replicate that favor. Suffice it to say that I trust SJD beyond compare. He's a good man in my book.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd guess you're correct here...as you usually only HEAR about the big wins, from either the players, or those who 'witnessed'.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ironman said:
IMO, this is not quite accuarate. They remember the losses all too well. For many, they just don't like admitting them, but they remember.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Charlie Brown

SJDinPHX said:
David,

Charlie is sill kickin', he's pushing 80 now. He's still the King of the calcutta buyers. He and I are sharing a room at DCC in a few weeks. Haven't seen him since '98. When I first moved to Houston (around '66,) my old car was wore out. Charlie co-signed for me to buy a '64 Chevvy Impala. How many guys would do that for a busted pool player?
He was also best man at my wedding, 41 years ago. He lost his wife Dorothy to cancer a few years ago. It was hard on him, but he's a tough old bird. His health is better than mine and I'm 6 years younger.

Take Care,

Dick

Dick,

By All Means, when you see Charlie at the DCC next week, give him a big HELLO for me Ok!

David:)

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
He's done much to preserve the lore of yester-year, posts good and informative stories, He's a good man in my book.

Dick

Have a good time and if you go fishing - good luck.

Proud to count you as a friend - now and many moons ago in Phx.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fishing ????

Jack Madden said:
Dick

Have a good time and if you go fishing - good luck.

Proud to count you as a friend - now and many moons ago in Phx.

Thanks Jack, same here.
I don't fish any more these days. I am now the minnow. :smile:
Dick