Chicago Pool Hall photos

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Great photos, thanks for sharing these. I like 10 Cat, I'd be playing there.
:p

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Here's one from a place some of you may remember:

1940 World Newspaper Picture Hoppe.jpg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marcus...Great photos, once again! The guy in the lasts photos at Pressure, is my friend Dave, who is friends with Zarah Delsario, who just played in the World 10-ball Championship.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Wonderful photo's Marcus. Glad we met.. at Red Shoes. Where is 10 Cat?

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonderful photo's Marcus. Glad we met.. at Red Shoes. Where is 10 Cat?

Used to go here a lot.....10 Cat is a friendly, pool playin' neighborhood bar located on the north side of Chicago, on the 3900 block of north Ashland ave....

Three unique/excellent things about the 10 Cat bar are....that unlike most bars with a pool table/pool tables, the 10 Cat doesn't have 'bar tables' - it has 2 tables, a full size 4-1/2 by 9 and a 4 by 8.....there's free pool until 8:00 p.m. every day!.....and the owner (Dick) (very nice guy) builds cues, has a lathe in the basement, and can put on a new tip for you if you need one.

- Ghost

PS, Great photo's Marcus

JimS

Silver Member
Used to go here a lot.....10 Cat is a friendly, pool playin' neighborhood bar located on the north side of Chicago, on the 3900 block of north Ashland ave....

Three unique/excellent things about the 10 Cat bar are....that unlike most bars with a pool table/pool tables, the 10 Cat doesn't have 'bar tables' - it has 2 tables, a full size 4-1/2 by 9 and a 4 by 8.....there's free pool until 8:00 p.m. every day!.....and the owner (Dick) (very nice guy) builds cues, has a lathe in the basement, and can put on a new tip for you if you need one.

- Ghost

PS, Great photo's Marcus

The tile 'sculptures' on the walls interested me. In 1980/81 I lived on Burton Place in an apartment house built by Sol Kogen (I think that was his name) where every apartment was extremely unique and had a lot of tile art.

The walls of 10 Cats seen in the picture reminded me of that. Burton Place is just a block or two long and I lived 1/2 block west, off LaSalle, about 1600 north, one block south of North Ave... between LaSalle and Wells. Just a block from Old Town bars and comedy shops. Lots of fun.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tile 'sculptures' on the walls interested me. In 1980/81 I lived on Burton Place in an apartment house built by Sol Kogen (I think that was his name) where every apartment was extremely unique and had a lot of tile art.

The walls of 10 Cats seen in the picture reminded me of that. Burton Place is just a block or two long and I lived 1/2 block west, off LaSalle, about 1600 north, one block south of North Ave... between LaSalle and Wells. Just a block from Old Town bars and comedy shops. Lots of fun.

Hey Jim........Small world...I know that very cool apartment building - and as a matter of fact I had a friend that used to live there...other cool buildings on that block also, like the one with the bubble shaped window.....and I used to hang around Old Town myself, back in the day.

- Ghost

PS, Wouldn't have expected to hear that a fellow pool playin' az forum member lived at such an artsy fancy-schmancy address, lol

Last edited:

JimS

Silver Member
Hey Jim........Small world...I know that very cool apartment building - and as a matter of fact I had a friend that used to live there...other cool buildings on that block also, like the one with the bubble shaped window.....and I used to hang around Old Town myself, back in the day.

- Ghost

PS, Wouldn't have expected to hear that a fellow pool playin' az forum member lived at such an artsy fancy-schmancy address, lol

I lived there with my girl friend for about a year. She worked in the film industry there in Chicago and I moved up there from Galesburg when I worked as a conductor on the RR. After about a year I had to move back to Galesburg as my seniority was no longer enough to hold a Chicago job.

It's a really beautiful building and back then most of the tenants were young successful models or into the arts. Rent was high! I think we paid over $800 a month for a 1 bedroom apt in 1980.

I used to drink at Orphans, a jazz joint way up on Lincoln Ave. I wasn't playing pool during that period of my life. I just drank... A LOT!