silly question i know.....

Rotarded

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is a titlist and what is a sneaky pete??

Titlist: Brunswick made 1 piece, full spliced, cues starting back in the early 1900s. These cues had 4 veneers on the points and are highly prized for conversion to 2 piece cues. http://titlist.onthestreets.org/history.html
http://www.cuemuseum.com/cues-1940s-50s/56-brunswick-titlist-cues.html

Example: http://forums.azbilliards.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=724&cat=all&si=Titleist

Sneaky Pete: Any 4 pointed cue that can be mistaken for a cheap bar cue. Although many make "fancy" sneaky petes with rings and inlays.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no silly questions to be asked. Thats how you learn.
If you don't know something, ask.
Now i on the other hand never ask because i know it all.
I drink a bit :thud:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
And a Sneaky Pete is usually associated with a two piece cue that resembles a house cue. It probably has points but usually no veneers, and is wrap-less. No inlays or intricate ring work (may have simple rings). About the only add-on in the butt area is sometimes a simple Hoppe style ring.

The more it has on it, the less "sneaky" it is. :wink:

mirdavanfe

seasoned beginner
Silver Member
were the sneaky Pete purposely designed to fool an eventual opponent into thinking you are no good and playing with house cue or it's just for ease of cue craft?

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do the opposite of using a sneaky pete. I use a nice cue. This way good players who do not know me think I am a good player. They don't ask to play me. They don't know that I am really a terrible player with no skills. I save a lot of money this way by not playing and losing.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I do the opposite of using a sneaky pete. I use a nice cue. This way good players who do not know me think I am a good player. They don't ask to play me. They don't know that I am really a terrible player with no skills. I save a lot of money this way by not playing and losing.

Haha, me too. Awesome :wink:

Rotarded

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
were the sneaky Pete purposely designed to fool an eventual opponent into thinking you are no good and playing with house cue or it's just for ease of cue craft?

Yes, and No.

A sneaky pete has points and a simple design in order to mimic a house cue. I would think it is easier, and much cheaper, to make what is called a "merry widow", than to full splice, short splice, or inlay points into the cue.

Merry widow: a cue fore arm that is solid, or just made of a single type of wood, with no embellishments such as points or inlays. Some merry widows may have uncomplicated inlaid designs on the butt end, decorative rings, and either a wrapped or unwrapped handle.

Well, while we are at it, what is the meaning of the term "full splice"? Measureman?

Dave Nelson

I'll take this one, just because:

Full Splice: A full splice cue is made of only two pieces of wood joined together, not involving the use of pins, dowels or other hardware, but by truly splicing two woods together with the most modern day high tech adhesives. The clear advantage of the full splice cue is its ability to provide not only far superior strength and clean aesthetic lines, but most importantly the pure fluid feel of the ultimate “working cue”. Usually due to cost of mass production, most companies use inlays rather than splice points. A pool cue with inlays can be simulated to look as if they are real splice points. One other splice point to mention is the short splice. It is not as cheap to produce as inlaid cues, but they are still cheaper to produce than the full splice. A short splice cue is based off of a normal three piece design. The forearm contains the short spliced pieces, the forearm is then attached to the handle, and finally the handle is attached to the butt. With this method the splice is only in the forearm and does not continue the length of the cue like a full splice cue.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full Splice: A full splice cue is made of only two pieces of wood joined together, not involving the use of pins, dowels or other hardware, but by truly splicing two woods together with the most modern day high tech adhesives. The clear advantage of the full splice cue is its ability to provide not only far superior strength and clean aesthetic lines, but most importantly the pure fluid feel of the ultimate “working cue”. Usually due to cost of mass production, most companies use inlays rather than splice points. A pool cue with inlays can be simulated to look as if they are real splice points. One other splice point to mention is the short splice. It is not as cheap to produce as inlaid cues, but they are still cheaper to produce than the full splice. A short splice cue is based off of a normal three piece design. The forearm contains the short spliced pieces, the forearm is then attached to the handle, and finally the handle is attached to the butt. With this method the splice is only in the forearm and does not continue the length of the cue like a full splice cue.

Good, explaination.

In addition, a few more points.

Short splice is by far the most popular method and is used by almost all cuemakers.

Full splice, is the odd ball as far as numbers of cues and makers. It commands a premium in prices.

IMO, short splice and full splice "playability" differences are zero. Purist will argue, but the "Masters" all did short splices. It is a bunch of BS.

It is kindof like the CNC points verses "sharp" points. Gina cues are thought of so highly but the outside "point" is rounded, and the remainder of the veneers come to sharp point. So I giggle when I hear what losers the CNC cuemakers are and then on the other side of our mouths we say how great Gina cues are. I own a Gina, and have played with them so its obvious I like them, but my point is in all things, take everything with a grain of salt.

Opinions are like a$$holes,

Ken

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no silly questions to be asked. Thats how you learn.
If you don't know something, ask.
Now i on the other hand never ask because i know it all.
I drink a bit :thud:

The know it all part was a joke followed by the I drink a bit.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotarded

Thank you for your very informative reply. I'm sure I'm not the only one who learned something.

Measureman

I probably spill more than you drink, and I'm not proud of that.

Dave Nelson

Rotarded

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how do you tell if a full splice cue ?

When purchasing new from a cue maker, or reputable dealer, they will advertise it as a "Full Splice" as they usually command more money. Although there are lower end, "mass produced" cues that are full spliced. These rarely, if ever, have veneers.

When buying used it becomes a bit more challenging:

Do your reseach. If the maker/brand does not make a full spliced cue, it should be your first clue.

If the cue is not wrapped, it is fairly obvious. If it is wrapped, you will need to remove the entire wrap to be sure. Short spliced points usually extend into the handle section far enough that just "pulling" the wrap back a few millimeters will not be far enough to be definitive.