John Barton Cases

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new John Barton cue case finally arrived! I'm very impressed with the level of protection my cues' getting from my GTF case, and expected nothing less from the JB case.

Things I like about the case:

- The case came with a cloth bag. Nice touch.

IMG_0004.jpg

- There were little "gifts" like extra rivets, a leather pouch with JB Cases name cards, and a burnisher. 2 thumbs up!

IMG_0006.jpg

- Nice looking zippers which were quite easy to pull.

IMG_0010.jpg

- Sturdy and solid cap.

IMG_0011.jpg

- The interior is what I like most. Butts and shafts are held down so securely by the soft interior that they wouldn't fall out even if I turned the case upside down.

- Overall, the case was built very well, no visible flaws. It felt very sturdy and hardy, and yet not heavy.

Things I didn't quite like:

IMG_0008.jpg

- I had specifically asked for the jump cue compartment to be able to fit a jump cue butt measuring 14.5 inches. I measured the jump cue compartment and the zipper measured exactly 14.5 inches. It was a very tight fit and extremely difficult to get the cue in with or without joint protector. Eventually I decided to do without the joint protector because I didn't want bloodied fingers from the struggles with the zippers. Even without joint protector, it was still very difficult to get the jump cue butt in. Every time I squeeze it in, the zippers would scratch my cue. It's a 250 dollar Josey jump cue, and I'm not sure if I should continue placing it in the jump compartment.

- Communication via email with JB Cases wasn't exactly prompt in the initial stage. Even after I've paid in full for the case, I waited one month for their reply. I can understand if they are too busy to start working on my case, I don't mind queuing, but it's just impolite to ignore my emails for a month. Although I must say that they were super fast in building the case, it took less than a month from the final confirmation to the case reaching me! So that kinda made me felt better about being ignored.

- Their customer service also lacked a personal touch. I was only told that my case was on the way to me after they've shipped it out. I had wanted it to be shipped to another address, but they took their own initiative to ship it to my paypal address. It would have been much better if they had told me that it's done and confirmed my shipping details before sending it out.

Would I buy from JB Cases again? DEFINITELY YES! The freedom to fully customize my case and the superior interior are more than enough reasons for me to buy again.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyberrot

Curly Maple Nut
Silver Member
Congratulations on your new JB case despite the small hiccups along the way.
I am sure that John will take notice and improve on his customer service.

Just a reminder, the burnisher is more for the cue butt than the cue shaft. ;)

Hope to see you at Singapore Cue Exhibition 2010 this year. :)

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Very nice review!!! I like the fact that you call out both pros and cons and summarize the fact that pros outweigh the cons so you'd order another case.

Question .. did you select the interior color? Is that a choice? I can see how blue makes a practical sense but I might prefer black interior.

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gosh! I thought it was for shafts! hahaha.. Luckily I've not used it yet..

I would love to attend the Singapore Cue Exhibition 2010! :smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My new John Barton cue case finally arrived! I'm very impressed with the level of protection my cues' getting from my GTF case, and expected nothing less from the JB case.

Things I like about the case:

- The case came with a cloth bag. Nice touch.

IMG_0004.jpg

- There were little "gifts" like extra rivets, a leather pouch with JB Cases name cards, and a burnisher. 2 thumbs up!

IMG_0006.jpg

- Nice looking zippers which were quite easy to pull.

IMG_0010.jpg

- Sturdy and solid cap.

IMG_0011.jpg

- The interior is what I like most. Butts and shafts are held down so securely by the soft interior that they wouldn't fall out even if I turned the case upside down.

- Overall, the case was built very well, no visible flaws. It felt very sturdy and hardy, and yet not heavy.

Things I didn't quite like:

IMG_0008.jpg

- I had specifically asked for the jump cue compartment to be able to fit a jump cue butt measuring 14.5 inches. I measured the jump cue compartment and the zipper measured exactly 14.5 inches. It was a very tight fit and extremely difficult to get the cue in with or without joint protector. Eventually I decided to do without the joint protector because I didn't want bloodied fingers from the struggles with the zippers. Even without joint protector, it was still very difficult to get the jump cue butt in. Every time I squeeze it in, the zippers would scratch my cue. It's a 250 dollar Josey jump cue, and I'm not sure if I should continue placing it in the jump compartment.

I have no problem to make you a new case with a nylon zipper on the jump pocket and to make the pocket even longer. Actually the better way to go would be to make the interior a 2x5 so that your jump cue handle is protected inside the case rather than in the pocket. I didn't realize that you had a custom Josey jump handle or I would have suggested that rather than the standard jump cue compartment.

- Communication via email with JB Cases wasn't exactly prompt in the initial stage. Even after I've paid in full for the case, I waited one month for their reply.

This is a huge problem for me as I get a lot of emails each day and I have a really bad habit of marking them to answer later and they tend to slip through the cracks. Also my obvious addiction to AZ doesn't help either.

I am working on it though.

I can understand if they are too busy to start working on my case, I don't mind queuing, but it's just impolite to ignore my emails for a month.

It is and there is no excuse and I am sorry.

Although I must say that they were super fast in building the case, it took less than a month from the final confirmation to the case reaching me! So that kinda made me felt better about being ignored.

Once we get started on a case it usually only takes about two weeks or so to get it done if it's a fairly standard one.

- Their customer service also lacked a personal touch. I was only told that my case was on the way to me after they've shipped it out. I had wanted it to be shipped to another address, but they took their own initiative to ship it to my paypal address. It would have been much better if they had told me that it's done and confirmed my shipping details before sending it out.

I will keep that in mind. My wife Karen is handling the shipping and notifications and she is learning what the best system is. We do intend to do full confirmations of all information before the case is started though so that we are sure of all the details including which address to send to.

Please be aware that we don't like to send to addresses other than what is shown on the paypal payment as that erases all protection on our end from chargebacks.

Would I buy from JB Cases again? DEFINITELY YES! The freedom to fully customize my case and the superior interior are more than enough reasons for me to buy again.

Thank you. I personally have to work on the communication and I promise to get a better system in place for the process.

Please contact me to arrange the building of the second case to replace this one. I will arrange for the other one to be sent back to me.

Best,

John

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice review!!! I like the fact that you call out both pros and cons and summarize the fact that pros outweigh the cons so you'd order another case.

Question .. did you select the interior color? Is that a choice? I can see how blue makes a practical sense but I might prefer black interior.

Yes, I made the choice for the blue interior, no practical reason though, it was simply because I like blue.. haha.. And it turned out to be the shade that I like too! :grin-square:

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem to make you a new case with a nylon zipper on the jump pocket and to make the pocket even longer. Actually the better way to go would be to make the interior a 2x5 so that your jump cue handle is protected inside the case rather than in the pocket. I didn't realize that you had a custom Josey jump handle or I would have suggested that rather than the standard jump cue compartment.

This is a huge problem for me as I get a lot of emails each day and I have a really bad habit of marking them to answer later and they tend to slip through the cracks. Also my obvious addiction to AZ doesn't help either.

I am working on it though.

It is and there is no excuse and I am sorry.

Once we get started on a case it usually only takes about two weeks or so to get it done if it's a fairly standard one.

I will keep that in mind. My wife Karen is handling the shipping and notifications and she is learning what the best system is. We do intend to do full confirmations of all information before the case is started though so that we are sure of all the details including which address to send to.

Please be aware that we don't like to send to addresses other than what is shown on the paypal payment as that erases all protection on our end from chargebacks.

Thank you. I personally have to work on the communication and I promise to get a better system in place for the process.

Please contact me to arrange the building of the second case to replace this one. I will arrange for the other one to be sent back to me.

Best,

John

Wow John, that's very gracious and kind of you! I've never doubted that you would try to make things right. :thumbup: Very classy! But I love this case a lot, and I intend to keep it!

I have owned and seen a lot of cases and this one is up there with the best in terms of workmanship and overall quality, but it's in a class above all in terms of protecting the cues. I'm sure I can run a truck over it and the cues would be intact. (Though I definitely don't plan on trying)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Wow John, that's very gracious and kind of you! I've never doubted that you would try to make things right. :thumbup: Very classy! But I love this case a lot, and I intend to keep it!

I have owned and seen a lot of cases and this one is up there with the best in terms of workmanship and overall quality, but it's in a class above all in terms of protecting the cues. I'm sure I can run a truck over it and the cues would be intact. (Though I definitely don't plan on trying)

Well then at least on Monday I will make you a padded sleeve for your jump handle that you can put in the compartment to make it easier to put your Josey in and get it out without running it against the zipper teeth.

Send me your preferred shipping address and it will be on it's way Monday afternoon.

weeseng

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then at least on Monday I will make you a padded sleeve for your jump handle that you can put in the compartment to make it easier to put your Josey in and get it out without running it against the zipper teeth.

Send me your preferred shipping address and it will be on it's way Monday afternoon.

Very kind of you, I appreciate it. Please send it to the paypal address, it should be small enough to be squeezed in the mailbox.

sugeknight

I'm on a ROLL
Silver Member

when is the singapore cue exhibition?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB cases

Thanks for the fantastic pictures and the review. As a new casemaker, I have to say JB cases are definitely an inspiration. The quality of construction, design, and aesthetic beauty are top notch. I'm sure you will enjoy this case for many many years to come.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jb chas cases

I recently ordered a fancy cowboy tooled case from John Barton
because of my vague instructions and request we never got it fished

we probably will before long ,but John felt bad so he sent me 2 Chas cases
2x4 handle only for the same price as the one i paid for.He even offered to tool them at no cost to me

I felt like it was way too much for him to offer,so I requested two with no strap,pouches or tooling
AND
I got what I consider to be the perfect pool cue case for me.The size is compact ,handy,manageable,the style is rustic western chic,less is more,kinda what you would expect for a Texas cowboy

In conclusion,John Barton is a very honorable person to do business with.
His cases are as good as you could possibly want.

I heartily recommend him and the cases to you very highly

Dean

Rusty and Ron Thomas are also close friends and great at what they do.
All 3 of these are the best at what they do

Roadking

sweet william
Silver Member
I recieve my JB Case a little over a week ago.
It's just a sweet plain jane no tooling case. I'm not into fancy.
Can't post pic's now so here's the link.
http://www.jbcases.com/sweet.html
The first thing I have to say is thank you John & Karen for putting up with me.
And second this case is built like a brick shit house.
Every thing is built so tight. Especially the 3x4 ultra pad interior. At first I didn't think I could get 3 butts & 4 shafts in it. But I did,very secure!
I have to say I was a little skeptic about John's magnetic latch on my 3rd pocket but let me tell you that I'm a believer now.(very strong pull)
Also the puzzle latch on the top lid is probably tighter & more durable then if it was made out of brass.
Even the zippers are tight. (Thinking about putting a couple drops of silicone on them)
The handles are stiff & sturdy. The leather John used is good quality & thick. It might even be bullet proof.
The only disappointment was that the little leather pouch John sent me was brown & not black. One thing John should have learned about me is I like black leather.
And also I didn't get a JB cloth burnisher.
All in all I want to thank John & Karen again.

One more thing, I don't know about anyone else but it's hard for me to spend $$$ on a product that I can't hold in my hands before I buy it. Especially ordering it from China. And that's what I went through decideing about buying a JB case. But I'm gonna tell you JB cases is very professional & reliable & would buy from them again.

Last edited:

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB cowboy leather plain jane chocolate brown 3 butts 4 shafts or 2 butts 5 shafts

Got this case about 3 years ago, I still get compliments and I am not easy on my cases, looks great even with the scuffs(next one will be saddle leather--I love how it looks ruffed up after a while)

Its a 2 butt 5 shaft or 3 butt 4 shaft soft interior dividers....now the fit is so nice and snug without being to snug as to use extra force to remove or put in that the cues dont move----I also have the top handle(a must), a side handle(another must), and a shoulder strap that is removeable with snaps, there is no velcroe(thank god), all straps and handles are stiched or tooled or they use the snaps.

I have had many who have asked if the case was for sale but its not at the moment......paid $475 shipped, waited couple months or so, there was no comunication issues if you have the patience to wait a few days for replies(guys got other things to do, like build cases)

also has a jump handle pocket
(I wish someone could figure out how to move that pocket away from your tip tools pocket and extra gear pocket so if you own a custom or matching jump cue it wont get bumped around by your extra goodies you never know when you will need.)

The the main bottom pocket which fits most normal pool items. I have a jump/break cue(The stinger-breaks good, but Jumps the best of all J/B's, my opinion.) So I can fit a few extras because theres no jump cue handle.

Also has a top pocket. Normal to a little bit bigger than average.

Best part about the pockets are they are zippered...no more broken twisty release tabs that break after not to long(or, from shipping-brand new, broke and I never used it, its a 2x4 mcdermott collectors addition with the self standing legs....the top latch to hold the cues in broke in shipping.)

JB cases work great, a little heavy but thats what you want to protect your cues.....the snaps on the shoulder strap and the top handle sometimes come unsnapped is about the only complaints if I think hard, and thoughs may be partially my fault or the company who makes the snaps.

Anyways, dont even think twice if you can afford this type of case and want one that will last for as long as you play pool then
get a JB Case

Thats it. Thanks again for a great case...........Nate.