Review, Story, and Critique-New JB Custom Case

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the wait is over, I have received my JB Cases-Custom Case, and it is now time to share the story. First I wish to thank John Barton and his team, including the talented Zhen Hai his Master Leather Worker ( pronounced GEN-HI) who was responsible for part of the tooling design, and all of the leather tooling. Think Zhen Hai ‘s Leather Works ROCKS! He is IMHO right there on the top of the pile with the best leather workers in the world.:bow-down:

The idea for this Cue Case came about because I was seeking what I would like to call the “Perfect Pool Cue Case”, for me to carry what I use. I started calling the project, the “Element’s Case”,(<<<---PHOTOS LINKED AT LEFT) when I realized I was putting elements of what I liked in other Pool Cue Cases that I own, or have previously owned, or had the opportunity to look at, and examine real close!

I decided I wanted a Cue Case built to hold, 3 Cue Butt Sections, & 4 Cue Shafts, so I could carry the following with ease. Playing Cue with Two Shafts, a Break Cue with a Single Shaft, a Jump Handle with a Single Jump Shaft, and in last a Butt Section Slot, was the place for carrying my John Hager Extension. Think the Brown Colored Ultra Pad Interior works well with the over all, color, and design of the case.

Plus I again choose to have John’s Ultra Pad Interior Liner, for MAXIMUM CUE PROTECTION! Like John offers in his line of Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Cases, that I personally consider, a “best buy” in a leather pool cue case, because of all the options offered at little or no cost. Lots of bang for the buck in those Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Cases:bow-down:

I also request deeper than NORMAL Pockets, (Approx. 2” Deep) as I have this Pro-Just-A-Bridge I love to use, but because of the Pro-Just-A-Bridge's bulk, it often get left at home as it didn’t fit into my other Pool Cue Cases. Plus the Pool Cue Case has room for cell phone, reading glasses, pool rule book, accessories up the wazoo, change of clothing, including extra pair of cowboy boots, LOL, etc. Yes I carry too much junk.:grin:

Also as I am a South Pawed I asked John to set up the Case to be carried in my Left Hand with Pockets away from the body, Top/Lid Forward, the way another Cue Casemaker sets up his cases. The other reason I asked for Left Hand Carry is a problem with my Right Shoulder, that I just can not too carry much weigh in my Right Arm because of the problem creates pain.

Also the Jump Butt Compartment & Zipper is on the Side where my Side Carry Handle is for ease of getting at the J/B Handle. Plus I can see if I left the compartment open before walking too far.

The case has the similar profile of a Pool Cue Case John did previously, it was called , “The Palace Garden”, but I wanted more bare leather showing, I think the tooling that was done on my case flowed together well. The Pool Cue Case John did called, The Ranchero Case was the inspiration for less tooling, and more leather showing.

I have had the opportunity to look over the Element’s Pool Cue Case real well in good light last evening, I know I have a critical eye for detail, and I would rate the workmanship a 10 ++ out of a possible 10. Honestly everything lines up perfectly, and it all works like the Marine Corps Precision Drill Team in Washington, D.C. The Zipper Placement, Stitching , Fit & Finish, etc., is all just way beyond great construction. Lets say John, and his teams attention to detail is like striving for perfection.

I really like the Puzzle Latch, John Barton created, and is now incorporating in many cases, as it was designed to replace trouble some Turn Locks, Purse Type Twist Locks, and Snaps that can with time developed problems. The Earth Magnets John uses in the Puzzle Latch are said to loose 1% of their power every ten years, so the Magnets I am sure will be working flawless when I am long gone.

John also incorporated a Chalk & Joint Protector holder in the Top Pocket. The Case has John’s newly designed Rubber Foot, to keep the Cue Case from slipping on a slippery floor when leaned against something. Dry or Empty Weight of this 3 Butts, 4 Shaft Pool Cue Case is 6 # 1.6 OZ.

I took the Pool Cue Case over to our Community Leather Club where I live yesterday afternoon before dinner, I asked a few of the members how they would rate the workmanship. Got lost of ooze, aaaazzzz, and nothing but compliments. One guy asked about the Chinese letters on the bottom, and I said it was the mans name who did the tooling work, and he is in what I call the "Old Red China", were the Pool Cue Case was built. This Leather Club Member who did the most talking, said he did not realize the Chinese were capable of such a work, was totally impressed with the quality of work, and all the attention to small details, that he made a point to point out to me. Like all the Tiny Swivel Knife Cuts in the Side of the Case, Carry Strap, Top Handle, Side Handle, Under the the Top Positions of the Body of the Case that he said was the mark of a very skilled craftsmen who took his craft seriously.

This was the same kind feedback I got on my Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Case, that I took it over to the Community Leather Club, a year ago for critique, and comments.

I honestly think John, and his Team have hit a Home Run with the Element’s Case, I am one happy camper. What I received, it is beyond my wildest expectations. I will honestly say if you have a idea for a Custom Pool Case with Logo, Artwork, Special Configured, etc., you would like to see come to see come life. I would highly recommend John, and his Team for your project, as they are more than capable of turning a simple ideas into Magic. Making suggestions on what functions', what don’t function. What works, what don’t work in Pool Cue Case design, and turning your ideas into great Pool Cue Case.

I will take the liberty of giving John Barton, a new AKA. That being King of the Pool Cue Casemakers, as John is been at this Pool Cue Case Build thing over two decades, he is constantly reinventing Pool Cue Case Design, he can build about any style of Pool Cue Case, or any configuration of Pool Cue Case, and is constantly looking to do Pool Cue Cases that not only look great, but offer the best protection for Pool Cues.

I like to compare John’s Genius, or maybe his unorthodox approach to Pool Cue Case making with the great Walt Disney. As Walt dreamed of a magic place, did some scribbling on a table napkin when he first got the idea for the magic place, that places was for a place for his employees to unwind. When he first dreamed up the idea for what grew to a place for the public to unwind, and is now know as Disneyland the Magic Kingdom.

John Barton like Walt Disney before his death is not satisfied with what he has have done, I think both of these creative guys minds never stopped dreaming up the next new idea, to incorporate in a Pool Cue Cases, or the Magic Kingdom called Disneyland.

BTW John Barton, aka JB-Cases has updated his Web-site, and most of his recent works are on display, and his Blog has a bunch of new Blog entries. both are fun to look at, to get ideas for a Custom Pool Cue Case, or information about Pool Cue Case past & present!:thud:

Pictures

elements-a-front.jpg

elements-b-back.jpg

elements-d-tophandle.jpg

elements-e-top.jpg

elements-j-smallpocketinside.jpg

elements-l-fronttoppart.jpg

elements-m-bigpocket.jpg

elements-u-logo.jpg

elements-zd-interior.jpg

elements-ze-interiorwithcues.jpg

More pictures here http://www.jbcases.com/elements.html

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
JB doing good

very nice Case Bruce:thumbup2:
hope you will enjoy them for many Years.
I like mine so much and it is the NO1 in the World for me and many others:grin:
I'm thinking the hole Day to order a new one with Hanja Mask's, same as my new Arm Tattoos.
Will see what the time/economy brings.
Thanks for the Story/Review:wink:
Ralf- the Owner of PALACE GARDEN

Last edited:

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
I think its a freaking riot that this guy is one of the most jingoistic people on the forum with his creepy "Made in the USA" clown avatar, telling everyone to buy American and such but then he dons the knee pads to talk about his Chinese case. Personally, I've got no problem with imports and the case seems nice enough, but as the saying goes, if irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its a freaking riot that this guy is one of the most jingoistic people on the forum with his creepy "Made in the USA" clown avatar, telling everyone to buy American and such but then he dons the knee pads to talk about his Chinese case. Personally, I've got no problem with imports and the case seems nice enough, but as the saying goes, if irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

I believe it says "Born" in the USA. Maybe he's just proud to be an American.

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
Great case, Bruce. Nice design and well executed. Thanks for the review!

MM

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member

Geez...who pee'd in your Wheaties this morning?! There was absolutely no reason for your post, as it added no pertinent content related to the review itself....so basically, it was just a direct jab at the OP, allowing you to live up to your moniker of being snarky.

Lisa =====> has very little time or patience for this crap.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Beautiful case! Definition of custom: you knew exactly what you wanted, and who would make it for you.

The attention to detail in the execution is great; however what makes it truly custom is the attention to detail you paid to designing the specifications for it.

Both of you did a fine job!

SOOOO many times I ran into a potential customer who wanted a custom guitar from me. When I asked what exactly they wanted, they had no idea! They just wanted 'custom' but did not really understand what that meant. I am sure the full time cue makers run into this a lot as well...

Hats off to you and John both!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
John & Karen did surprise me with the Business Card Holder, that matches the Cue Case, I found when I unwrapped the Case. Funny thing is I do carry a card with my Name, Phone Number, and E-mail, that I am always running out of.

John enclosed a small supply of his, JB-Cases Business Cards, on the back of the card it states:
"We make cue cases. Protection is what we do first. Than we make em pretty."

elements-zg-cardholder.jpg

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John & Karen did surprise me with the Business Card Holder, that matches the Cue Case, I found when I unwrapped the Case. Funny thing is I do carry a card with my Name, Phone Number, and E-mail, that I am always running out of.

John enclosed a small supply of his, JB-Cases Business Cards, on the back of the card it states:
"We make cue cases. Protection is what we do first. Than we make em pretty."

elements-zg-cardholder.jpg

That's pretty cool! I like the interior configuration as well.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
That's pretty cool! I like the interior configuration as well.

I knew John was building me a J/P-Chalk Holder, but until I opened the box, I had ZERO IDEA how it was going to look.

Attachments

• elements-k-smallpocketinside2.jpg
    elements-k-smallpocketinside2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,168

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Lovely case Bruce. Looking forward to hearing that all is well with you my friend.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Congratulations on your beautiful case!

I received my JB case a couple of months ago and I am just as pleased as you are. It's also a 3x4 with larger pockets, ultrapad interior and the puzzle latch (works great, by the way). Mine isn't tooled, but the leather is top quality. For such a terrific piece of leather goods, the price was very low (check out Hartmann briefcases for a comparison). John is THE MAN!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Perfect case - I am a big fan of Sheridan style of leather carving exhibited on your case - it's beautiful artwork.

Chris

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Great looking case Bruce.

Wonderful write up.

Please share; who did you learn from?

For you to write so well in such a short time, is simply amazing.
This post almost reads like a 'testomoniy' that you would see in an advertizement. Very well written.

BTW, I thought you said you only played One Pocket?.. why would you need a break/Jump cue holder for this case... Just curious.

Well the wait is over, I have received my JB Cases-Custom Case, and it is now time to share the story. First I wish to thank John Barton and his team, including the talented Zhen Hai his Master Leather Worker ( pronounced GEN-HI) who was responsible for part of the tooling design, and all of the leather tooling. Think Zhen Hai ‘s Leather Works ROCKS! He is IMHO right there on the top of the pile with the best leather workers in the world.:bow-down:

The idea for this Cue Case came about because I was seeking what I would like to call the “Perfect Pool Cue Case”, for me to carry what I use. I started calling the project, the “Element’s Case”,(<<<---PHOTOS LINKED AT LEFT) when I realized I was putting elements of what I liked in other Pool Cue Cases that I own, or have previously owned, or had the opportunity to look at, and examine real close!

I decided I wanted a Cue Case built to hold, 3 Cue Butt Sections, & 4 Cue Shafts, so I could carry the following with ease. Playing Cue with Two Shafts, a Break Cue with a Single Shaft, a Jump Handle with a Single Jump Shaft, and in last a Butt Section Slot, was the place for carrying my John Hager Extension. Think the Brown Colored Ultra Pad Interior works well with the over all, color, and design of the case.

Plus I again choose to have John’s Ultra Pad Interior Liner, for MAXIMUM CUE PROTECTION! Like John offers in his line of Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Cases, that I personally consider, a “best buy” in a leather pool cue case, because of all the options offered at little or no cost. Lots of bang for the buck in those Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Cases:bow-down:

I also request deeper than NORMAL Pockets, (Approx. 2” Deep) as I have this Pro-Just-A-Bridge I love to use, but because of the Pro-Just-A-Bridge's bulk, it often get left at home as it didn’t fit into my other Pool Cue Cases. Plus the Pool Cue Case has room for cell phone, reading glasses, pool rule book, accessories up the wazoo, change of clothing, including extra pair of cowboy boots, LOL, etc. Yes I carry too much junk.:grin:

Also as I am a South Pawed I asked John to set up the Case to be carried in my Left Hand with Pockets away from the body, Top/Lid Forward, the way another Cue Casemaker sets up his cases. The other reason I asked for Left Hand Carry is a problem with my Right Shoulder, that I just can not too carry much weigh in my Right Arm because of the problem creates pain.

Also the Jump Butt Compartment & Zipper is on the Side where my Side Carry Handle is for ease of getting at the J/B Handle. Plus I can see if I left the compartment open before walking too far.

The case has the similar profile of a Pool Cue Case John did previously, it was called , “The Palace Garden”, but I wanted more bare leather showing, I think the tooling that was done on my case flowed together well. The Pool Cue Case John did called, The Ranchero Case was the inspiration for less tooling, and more leather showing.

I have had the opportunity to look over the Element’s Pool Cue Case real well in good light last evening, I know I have a critical eye for detail, and I would rate the workmanship a 10 ++ out of a possible 10. Honestly everything lines up perfectly, and it all works like the Marine Corps Precision Drill Team in Washington, D.C. The Zipper Placement, Stitching , Fit & Finish, etc., is all just way beyond great construction. Lets say John, and his teams attention to detail is like striving for perfection.

I really like the Puzzle Latch, John Barton created, and is now incorporating in many cases, as it was designed to replace trouble some Turn Locks, Purse Type Twist Locks, and Snaps that can with time developed problems. The Earth Magnets John uses in the Puzzle Latch are said to loose 1% of their power every ten years, so the Magnets I am sure will be working flawless when I am long gone.

John also incorporated a Chalk & Joint Protector holder in the Top Pocket. The Case has John’s newly designed Rubber Foot, to keep the Cue Case from slipping on a slippery floor when leaned against something. Dry or Empty Weight of this 3 Butts, 4 Shaft Pool Cue Case is 6 # 1.6 OZ.

I took the Pool Cue Case over to our Community Leather Club where I live yesterday afternoon before dinner, I asked a few of the members how they would rate the workmanship. Got lost of ooze, aaaazzzz, and nothing but compliments. One guy asked about the Chinese letters on the bottom, and I said it was the mans name who did the tooling work, and he is in what I call the "Old Red China", were the Pool Cue Case was built. This Leather Club Member who did the most talking, said he did not realize the Chinese were capable of such a work, was totally impressed with the quality of work, and all the attention to small details, that he made a point to point out to me. Like all the Tiny Swivel Knife Cuts in the Side of the Case, Carry Strap, Top Handle, Side Handle, Under the the Top Positions of the Body of the Case that he said was the mark of a very skilled craftsmen who took his craft seriously.

This was the same kind feedback I got on my Jay Flowers Tribute Pool Cue Case, that I took it over to the Community Leather Club, a year ago for critique, and comments.

I honestly think John, and his Team have hit a Home Run with the Element’s Case, I am one happy camper. What I received, it is beyond my wildest expectations. I will honestly say if you have a idea for a Custom Pool Case with Logo, Artwork, Special Configured, etc., you would like to see come to see come life. I would highly recommend John, and his Team for your project, as they are more than capable of turning a simple ideas into Magic. Making suggestions on what functions', what don’t function. What works, what don’t work in Pool Cue Case design, and turning your ideas into great Pool Cue Case.

I will take the liberty of giving John Barton, a new AKA. That being King of the Pool Cue Casemakers, as John is been at this Pool Cue Case Build thing over two decades, he is constantly reinventing Pool Cue Case Design, he can build about any style of Pool Cue Case, or any configuration of Pool Cue Case, and is constantly looking to do Pool Cue Cases that not only look great, but offer the best protection for Pool Cues.

I like to compare John’s Genius, or maybe his unorthodox approach to Pool Cue Case making with the great Walt Disney. As Walt dreamed of a magic place, did some scribbling on a table napkin when he first got the idea for the magic place, that places was for a place for his employees to unwind. When he first dreamed up the idea for what grew to a place for the public to unwind, and is now know as Disneyland the Magic Kingdom.

John Barton like Walt Disney before his death is not satisfied with what he has have done, I think both of these creative guys minds never stopped dreaming up the next new idea, to incorporate in a Pool Cue Cases, or the Magic Kingdom called Disneyland.

BTW John Barton, aka JB-Cases has updated his Web-site, and most of his recent works are on display, and his Blog has a bunch of new Blog entries. both are fun to look at, to get ideas for a Custom Pool Cue Case, or information about Pool Cue Case past & present!:thud:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
case looks great - hope you get years of enjoyment from it - BUT-either you have tiny , tiny feet or that side pouch isn't big enough for a pair of cowboy boots . . . . :grin:

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
Geez...who pee'd in your Wheaties this morning?! There was absolutely no reason for your post, as it added no pertinent content related to the review itself....so basically, it was just a direct jab at the OP, allowing you to live up to your moniker of being snarky.

Lisa =====> has very little time or patience for this crap.

Snarky people are everywhere. I just ignore them!!! (usually):wink: