What does 'Synching' the Ball mean ?

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hear a few of the commentators, especially Jerry say, all he needs to do is synch the ball

Is that any different to potting the ball ?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's "cinch" and it just means the player is emphasizing pocketing the ball without doing much else, especially anything fancy with the cue ball. It can be used to describe a jab or a short stroke, or just rolling the ball in, especially on a difficult shot. It means the player is focused primarily on pocketing the ball.

I often hear the term in pressure situations, or on tight tables, ie. "the table was so tight the players were nervously rolling the cue ball and cinching every shot".

Chris

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Synching the ball

Hear a few of the commentators, especially Jerry say, all he needs to do is synch the ball

Is that any different to potting the ball ?

Cinching the ball means that you just make it , without regards to playing shape for the next ball, your better off sometimes with this shot because at least you can see the next object ball, and may have missed this shot trying to get shape, or just not gotten shape at all.

Thats my take on what it means.

David Harcrow

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's "cinch" and it just means the player is emphasizing pocketing the ball without doing much else, especially anything fancy with the cue ball. It can be used to describe a jab or a short stroke, or just rolling the ball in, especially on a difficult shot. It means the player is focused primarily on pocketing the ball.

I often hear the term in pressure situations, or on tight tables, ie. "the table was so tight the players were nervously rolling the cue ball and cinching every shot".

Chris

This is it! Usually when they are accepting the natural position they will get after the shot, without putting anything on the cue ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cinching the ball means that you just make it , without regards to playing shape for the next ball, your better off sometimes with this shot because at least you can see the next object ball, and may have missed this shot trying to get shape, or just not gotten shape at all.

Thats my take on what it means.

David Harcrow

And this is correct also. Probably better than I could have explained it! :D

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay and everyone for the definitions :)

Personally i dont think you should ever cinch the ball. You always should be aware of position even if it is a centre ball stroke. If it's an easy position shot and natural angle, focus on getting mm perfect shape for the next shot

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay and everyone for the definitions :)

Personally i dont think you should ever cinch the ball. You always should be aware of position even if it is a centre ball stroke. If it's an easy position shot and natural angle, focus on getting mm perfect shape for the next shot

There will always be times when it calls for cinching the ball,this comes up a lot more than one would think.

evanandpeaches

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are defiantly times to focus more on making the ball rather than shape. It comes up alot on straight pool or if you have a long thin cut on the 8 with the 9 hanging you just cinch the 8 and take what comes on the 9.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could have meant 'lip-synch'....
That's where you pretend to put english on the ball

:smile:

Cinching a ball is being willing to to accept a more difficult shot on the next ball to ensure pocketing the current ball.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Cinching the ball means hitting it with whatever english and speed is required for you to have the best chance of pocketing the ball.

I think regionally people may be taught to cinch balls differently.

I have a friend from Cincy who cinches cuts with a little outside english. He told me that was what Gary Spaeth had taught him todo. Something about helping cut the ball into the pocket and controlling throw and eliminating cling and slide.

I have another friend who swears a true cinch is a center ball hit...

I was taught by an Eddie Taylor minion to cinch my cuts by aiming the ball in the pocket tight and using a little inside so that I was hedging the bet. Rationale was most shots missed are undercut so the inside would deflect the cueball a hair and I would either make it where I aimed or the deflection would make the ball cut a little more and I would make it in the wide side of the pocket.

Would love to hear from different people in different regions as to how they cinch cut shots... I almost expect a pattern.........