WPC 9 ball in Qatar

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
ok pal. I'll be here enjoying the finest 9-ball on the planet, mixing it up with the greatest players on earth, while you'll be reliving the old days and sulking in your beer. I think you need to get out of your small town a little more.

By the way, check this out...

THE WOW FACTOR IN DOHA
13 TABLES SEE ACTION AS PLAY BEGINS IN THE 20TH WORLD 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE SPECTACULAR AL SADD SPORTS CLUB

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=17&pagetype=event_news&eventid=32&eventnewsid=59

And this is the very attitude which makes me give a shit less what happens in international play. Its just another 9 Ball tournament. Because its happening in the middle of nowhere in a desert doesnt make it special it just means someone put up enough dough to get the sanction and pay off the WPA.

People wonder why Americans do not go to all these international events. I don't. And if the organizers want people in the U.S. to care then have your World Championships do the same thing as every $5000 added event in the U.S. and have a stream that people can find and watch.

Personally the whole attitude of "We can do what we want because we put up all this money and this is XYZ Championship of the Galaxy" has gotten way old.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And this is the very attitude which makes me give a shit less what happens in international play. Its just another 9 Ball tournament. Because its happening in the middle of nowhere in a desert doesnt make it special it just means someone put up enough dough to get the sanction and pay off the WPA.

People wonder why Americans do not go to all these international events. I don't. And if the organizers want people in the U.S. to care then have your World Championships do the same thing as every $5000 added event in the U.S. and have a stream that people can find and watch.

Personally the whole attitude of "We can do what we want because we put up all this money and this is XYZ Championship of the Galaxy" has gotten way old.

This is very well said, JCIN. I also liked what you wrote in another thread about the fact that the scarcity of American participation in many overseas international events is all about the fact that few see the cost of participation as a good investment.

If American professional players are priced out of so much international competition and the American pool fan is unable to see most of the overseas international action, it's easy to understand why many an American pool fan would feal dealt out.

Sadly, it is difficult to avoid reaching the conclusion that international producers and promoters are not terribly concerned about the fact that they are, to a point and, at times unintentionally, dealing out American participation and fanfare.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very well said, JCIN. I also liked what you wrote in another thread about the fact that the scarcity of American participation in many overseas international events is all about the fact that few see the cost of participation as a good investment.

If American professional players are priced out of so much international competition and the American pool fan is unable to see most of the overseas international action, it's easy to understand why many an American pool fan would feal dealt out.

Sadly, it is difficult to avoid reaching the conclusion that international producers and promoters are not terribly concerned about the fact that they are, to a point and, at times unintentionally, dealing out American participation and fanfare.

Same can be said of the America events in terms of a big handful of elites not participating from the Asian countries. Other than Lo Li Wen, I don't think any Taiwanese players have participated in any of the American events in the past few years. Maybe the WPC should be held in Hawaii :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Same can be said of the America events in terms of a big handful of elites not participating from the Asian countries. Other than Lo Li Wen, I don't think any Taiwanese players have participated in any of the American events in the past few years. Maybe the WPC should be held in Hawaii :)

Point well taken, but the major recent events played in America (winner in parentheses), such as the US Open 9-ball (Appleton), the Derby City Classic Banks Event (Pagulayan), the Derby City Classic One Pocket event (Van Boening), the Derby City Classic 9-ball event (Orcullo), the US Open 10-ball (Van Boening), the US Open One Pocket Championship (Reyes), and World 14.1 championships (Ortmann) were all available on stream to Asian and European pool fans. Those who produce events having deep international fields in America make their product available globally, and that's as it should be.

Last edited:

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point well taken, but the major events played in America (winner in parentheses), such as the US Open 9-ball (Appleton), the Derby City Classic Banks Event (Pagulayan), the Derby City Classic One Pocket event (Van Boening), the Derby City Classic 9-ball event (Orcullo), the US Open 10-ball (Van Boening), the US Open One Pocket Championship (Reyes), and World 14.1 championships (Ortmann) were all available on stream to Asian and European pool fans. Those who produce events having deep international fields n America make their product available globally, and that's as it should be.

Great point! Since I lived in Taiwan until 2 or 3 years ago, I wonder if any of the events were played on ESPN here for the past 9 ball championships? The Taiwanese people have it good, there are always at least of couple of hours of pool on TV daily - most of them are the local league broadcast. I was quite surprised that they'd host the tournament at Qatar, where I doubt many players play and only broadcasting the game locally. Remember the days it was hosted in Cardiff, Taiwan, Philippines? Those events were awesome and definitely represented the WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIPS. I've mentioned this previously, the tournament is losing its prestige..

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great point! Since I lived in Taiwan until 2 or 3 years ago, I wonder if any of the events were played on ESPN here for the past 9 ball championships? The Taiwanese people have it good, there are always at least of couple of hours of pool on TV daily - most of them are the local league broadcast. I was quite surprised that they'd host the tournament at Qatar, where I doubt many players play and only broadcasting the game locally. Remember the days it was hosted in Cardiff, Taiwan, Philippines? Those events were awesome and definitely represented the WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIPS. I've mentioned this previously, the tournament is losing its prestige..

Well said.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the first round in that table is round of 64 and only half the names are on the chart so far. Round of 32 strart Thur at 10:00 Qatar time.

Yeah, looks that way. Any idea which table is the TV table as the chart already has the table assignments?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You can use Google Translate on this site http://www.alkass.net/ and maybe you can find the broadcast button. I gleaned that billiards would be on at 14:10 (2:10pm) GMT. You can google any number of world clocks to see what the time translation is.

For the record I totally agree with JCIN and SJM. In this day and age there should be a web page that explains when and where to gt the streams. Matchroom did it right. Remember when everyone cried about Matchroom, a -gasp- "for profit" entity getting the rights to produce the world championships? Well they did it RIGHT with fantastic coverage and increasing prize money year after year.

Then the WPA decided to screw them in favor of no-pay Makabenta with the World 10 Ball and that was the end of Matchroom's involvement with the World 9 Ball.

I don't understand why this tournament being held in one of the wealthiest countries in the world wouldn't have their shit together more than any other tournament on Earth???

Frankly though I am really disappointed in just about all so-called pool marketing of events. It's sad that we are a cheap-ass industry where everyone talks a good game but few people are even able to step up when called on. Everyone has these awesome ideas for how to make pool grow but NO ONE does a damn thing that matters.

What good is all this "social networking" if no one uses it properly? What good is the internet if no one uses it properly?

Even here on AZB I often don't know about an event until it's started. Where is the tournament poster thread that is constantly updated? Would it be so freaking hard for all these promoters to have one thread devoted to tournament posters that could be copied and redistributed by fans on their blogs, websites and through the social media streams?

I could go on but then I'd be just another cheap-ass with ideas and no action.

The really sad part about pool is that NO ONE wants to cooperate. As in OPERATE together to build a stronger and more appealing sport.

Hence the constant flailing for people to just be able to view the "World Championships".

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they said the live stream will start on the round of 32, then we still have a day to go. It is still top 64 tomorrow so top 32 will be on Thursday morning here in the US.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
ok pal. I'll be here enjoying the finest 9-ball on the planet, mixing it up with the greatest players on earth, while you'll be reliving the old days and sulking in your beer. I think you need to get out of your small town a little more.

By the way, check this out...

THE WOW FACTOR IN DOHA
13 TABLES SEE ACTION AS PLAY BEGINS IN THE 20TH WORLD 9-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE SPECTACULAR AL SADD SPORTS CLUB

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=17&pagetype=event_news&eventid=32&eventnewsid=59

I feel like sulking a little bit also.
How many matches does Chris Orme have to win to get his name spelled
correctly?...he is in the draw as ORMA..:angry:

never-the-less...thanx for the connections..:)

would like to see a guy from Ontario and a kid from South Dakota in the
finals.....:wave3:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
picture is very clear but very choppy here. hope the pool will be better stream. Johnnyt

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
guys, I can speak the language and i have read the website for you, here's the thing... they will stream the pool tournament starting today wednesday, I think its the last 64 or something.... the live coverage will start exactly at 14:30 according to the website, thats 02:30PM in our time here, we live in a GMT+3 so everybody could convert to their area.

the exact link to the TV will be live here,

http://www.alkass.net/live.aspx

click the link at that time and your set, hope this helps