Is this type of hit legal?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. The rules are the rules and this one is very clear except for APA and possible special local rules. Not sure why the need for extended debate aside from intellectual curiosity.

2. With a little practice, there are numerous legal alternatives to making this shot in an acceptable manner. If your objective is to peak out with APA play, then keep hitting the shot. If you're goal as a player is to go beyond that, learn the alternative shots.

No disrespect intended but using this namby pamby method for making the shot reminds me of the kid's rule for sticking the butt of the cue between the cue ball and the rail in order to make the shot easier.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...No disrespect intended but using this namby pamby method for making the shot reminds me of the kid's rule for sticking the butt of the cue between the cue ball and the rail in order to make the shot easier.

Please tell me this is still legal in miniature golf.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
No disrespect intended but using this namby pamby method for making the shot reminds me of the kid's rule for sticking the butt of the cue between the cue ball and the rail in order to make the shot easier.

Spacys! There are times I could really use spacys

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
If the shot came up, I think I'd rule it as an intentional miscue as the tip is moving up and the cue ball is driven horizontally.

So, with all of your involvement with the re-writing of the rules, you do NOT KNOW how you would rule, YOU THINK you would rule it an intention miscue. What does the referee THINK. I think you've made my point. The rule is subjective.

Many of you will probably be pleased to hear that this will probably be MY LAST POST.

I went out to play this afternoon & won EVERY GAME. I realize that I have gotten NOTHING but grief from this site & I do not need or enjoy this site.

I may monitor it from time to time to remind myself how much I do not need this site & to remind me why pocket billiards will never rise to the level of the game of golf & others. They've gotten where they are the old fashioned way, they earned it. This game probably never will. Que Sera, Sera. I would say don't scrath, but the ball is already in the pocket.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of you will probably be pleased to hear that this will probably be MY LAST POST.

I can't speak for everyone else but can honestly say I don't give a shit about you one way or the other. I seem to recall a few of your posts were fairly decent but with all due respect, I simply can't see why you'd wish to disrespect Mr. Jewett. Kind of makes my blood boil a bit as I enjoy reading his responses here and many of the articles he has written for publication.

For the life of me, I will never figure out why people who are unhappy at, or don't seem to fit in at, a website forum feel the need to pronounce their departure instead of simply just ... leaving. It's kind of like calling your ex-Spouse every year, on what would have been your anniversary, to tell them how you don't miss them.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member

I went out to play this afternoon & won EVERY GAME. I realize that I have gotten NOTHING but grief from this site & I do not need or enjoy this site.

I may monitor it from time to time to remind myself how much I do not need this site & to remind me why pocket billiards will never rise to the level of the game of golf & others. They've gotten where they are the old fashioned way, they earned it. This game probably never will. Que Sera, Sera. I would say don't scrath, but the ball is already in the pocket.

The world of pool struggles because of a lack of unity. I do not see how discussions about pool could not help you, sharing your experience will help somebody somewhere; I say this is a lose lose situation, if you feel you MUST never post or surf I say farewell and wish you luck.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
In defense of ENGLISH

I can't speak for everyone else but can honestly say I don't give a shit about you one way or the other. I seem to recall a few of your posts were fairly decent but with all due respect, I simply can't see why you'd wish to disrespect Mr. Jewett. Kind of makes my blood boil a bit as I enjoy reading his responses here and many of the articles he has written for publication.

For the life of me, I will never figure out why people who are unhappy at, or don't seem to fit in at, a website forum feel the need to pronounce their departure instead of simply just ... leaving. It's kind of like calling your ex-Spouse every year, on what would have been your anniversary, to tell them how you don't miss them.

I re-read all the posts (this is allowed, right?), and don't see where ENGLISH is disrespecting Bob Jewett. Disagreeing is not the same as disrespecting. Bob is clearly a respected teacher and writer. His knowledge is immense. Does this mean he is infallible? I've heard that Mosconi and Greenleaf disagreed on some of the finer points of execution. Does this mean that one of them deserves to be ridiculed?
I remember when free speech was valued in this country...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, with all of your involvement with the re-writing of the rules, you do NOT KNOW how you would rule, YOU THINK you would rule it an intention miscue. What does the referee THINK. I think you've made my point. The rule is subjective. ...
Well, no. I'm sure that I would rule it as a foul. There has been a written determination by the BCA that the shot is illegal and the BCA is the North American affiliate of the WPA. The legality of the shot is not in question. It is a foul.

The only question in my mind is how to explain it to the confused and ignorant perpetrator. By the written ruling, the action is not a forward motion and so is not a shot. Some have argued that maybe there is some forward motion. A response to that is that if the motion is a shot then it is an intentional miscue.

I hope this is clearer.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I re-read all the posts (this is allowed, right?), and don't see where ENGLISH is disrespecting Bob Jewett. Disagreeing is not the same as disrespecting. Bob is clearly a respected teacher and writer. His knowledge is immense. Does this mean he is infallible? I've heard that Mosconi and Greenleaf disagreed on some of the finer points of execution. Does this mean that one of them deserves to be ridiculed?

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Free speech is indeed valued. And with free speech, comes responsibility to use said "free speech" appropriately. Because, you see, the rest of us have "free speech", too...

On my behalf, I initially tried to gently suggest that perhaps there are people here that do indeed know something about this sport, and that perhaps he might want to ease up a bit. The word "ridicule" doesn't apply.

Our friend wished to come on here, and start firing away at anyone who didn't agree with him. Then he didn't appreciate it when it was returned in kind.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Thanks. I appreciate that.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Well, no. I'm sure that I would rule it as a foul. There has been a written determination by the BCA that the shot is illegal and the BCA is the North American affiliate of the WPA. The legality of the shot is not in question. It is a foul.

The only question in my mind is how to explain it to the confused and ignorant perpetrator. By the written ruling, the action is not a forward motion and so is not a shot. Some have argued that maybe there is some forward motion. A response to that is that if the motion is a shot then it is an intentional miscue.

I hope this is clearer.

8.18 Miscue
A miscue occurs when the cue tip slides off the cue ball possibly due to a contact that is too eccentric or to insufficient chalk on the tip. It is usually accompanied by a sharp sound and evidenced by a discoloration of the tip. Although some miscues involve contact of the side of the cue stick with the cue ball, unless such contact is clearly visible, it is assumed not to have occurred. A scoop shot, in which the cue tip contacts the playing surface and the cue ball at the same time and this causes the cue ball to rise off the cloth, is treated like a miscue. Note that intentional miscues are covered by 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct (c).

If there is no audible sound & no 'mark' on a well chalked tip after shooting the shot with the stick supported by the bridge hand & the back hand with a lever motion, that does have a 'forward' motion & the OB does not leave the cloth, can you explain to me the now 'confused & ignorant' how & why the shot as just described would not be a legal shot?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The world of pool struggles because of a lack of unity. I do not see how discussions about pool could not help you, sharing your experience will help somebody somewhere; I say this is a lose lose situation, if you feel you MUST never post or surf I say farewell and wish you luck.

Thanks for you sentiments. I appreciate them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
8.18 Miscue
A miscue occurs when the cue tip slides off the cue ball ...
I think it is clear that the cue tip slides off the cue ball during the lift shot. Clearly the contact is too eccentric to avoid slipping on the shot.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I think it is clear that the cue tip slides off the cue ball during the lift shot. Clearly the contact is too eccentric to avoid slipping on the shot.

'Clearly,' regardless of the 'infinitley' small force applied by the almost equally small amount of movment. All vernacular being equal. I'm done.