Kamui soft

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently fitted a Kamui soft tip for a friend, which he supplied, he had it in his case, didnt remember where it came from. The tip was unusual, to me , as it had a grey coloured pad on the glue side. Has anyone seen Kamuis like this,and know where they are sold, thanks.
the tip played great, by the way.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not seen any like that, but then again I have not stocked the brown Kamui tips in a while.

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The newest generation of Kamui tips was supposed to have a pad on the glue side. I was told the pad is put on with a special glue that does not over penetrate and harden the layers on bottom.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
as far as I can guess from your description that is a tip designed specially for Russian billiards, i.e. pyramid players. The majority of pyramid cues are "ferruleless", thus require fiber pads to install the tip. Kamui in cooperation with local dealer decided to come up with "something new" for the market. Looking like this?
Kamui_Fiber.jpg

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as far as I can guess from your description that is a tip designed specially for Russian billiards, i.e. pyramid players. The majority of pyramid cues are "ferruleless", thus require fiber pads to install the tip. Kamui in cooperation with local dealer decided to come up with "something new" for the market. Looking like this?
View attachment 234573

yes that is the tip, I forgot to mention the tip was 13mm, which is unusual, as the ones i have used previously were 14mm.
the tip I fitted was on a standard Predator 314/2, and the guy i fitted it for did pretty well in his next comp, in fact he won it.
so, these tips may have been designed for pyramid cues, but they play pretty good on regular shafts.
do you know where these tips can be purchased, many thanks for the reply.
also, i have sent a PM.

Vahmurka

Silver Member
I wonder where your friend got the tip:grin-square: I don't know whether Kamui planned to sell them anywhere except Russian Pyramid market. The local dealer (really a big one, no wonder Kamui works with them and only them for Russia and adjacent countries maybe) sell them in bulk, so probably I could help but I'm not sure about the price yet.

From installer's point of view, one could save time and effort gluing the fiber pad separately. But what I did not fancy much was that pad is pretty hard, much harder than leather of the tip of course, and sometimes when trimming the side the cutting tool penetrated the tip good but was pushed out by the pad. Thus there was a risk of trimming the tip diameter too much (=wasted tip). Also cutting the pad with a blade (like I do now, thanks cuejo) is somewhat tricky task too. So have to work the pad all the way around to make certain it is flush with the shaft/ferrule, so forget what I said about saving time, actually I had to spend more.

The only reason why players like this very tip and start longing for it is its unusual look. When installed, the tip looks like floating above the ferrule. I will try to make a photo so that you get the impression.
When the tips were first released our repair shop received them for trial, they were not even marked the "official" way, no holograms. etc. There were two types of them, white and ruby pads, both transparent. Though ruby doesn't give that stunning look so maybe that was the reason our local dealer asked for white/grey only. At least I have never seen any ruby since.

Other than that, these tips are just ordinary Kamuis, so one could probably try and make their own pads of such a kind, hint-hint :wink:

Vahmurka

Silver Member
alright

another puzzle for you guys
kamuigray.jpg
;)

note these tips are not padded, that's all skin