What's the Right Shot Here?

TheSneak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this shot came up in my APA 9 ball match last night. Couldn't figure out how to embed the table diagram so I just attached a link below.

http://pool.bz/P/?@1AWJs4BRtA3DKBE4EVSD4FRDb4GREX1HQeD4IATt4PDKB@

I broke, made a ball and parked the cue ball to the center of the table. The 1 ball is over the top right pocket, but it is blocked by the 8. I can see the edge of the 1 but not enough to make it. Pushes and jumps are not allowed (even though I can't see anyone jumping here), and swerving the ball in would offer no possible position to the 2 ball. I was going to have to play a safe.

I first thought about cross banking the 1 ball up table and leaving my opponent behind the 8 or at least banking, but I didn't have enough of the ball to avoid a double kiss. Then I considered kicking off the long rail with bottom outside and parking the ball, but there was a good chance of scratching if I didn't kick it right and any look at the 1 let my opponent have it to the bottom left corner or side pocket. Finally I considered kicking to the head rail lightly to leave the cue ball behind the 8, but I couldn't hit it full enough without a lot of spin. The path was open to the bottom right pocket if I didn't get behind the 8.

After much deliberation, I ended up kicking off the head cushion with some speed in hopes to get the 1 ball down to the foot rail, but even with a ton of right spin I hit the ball too much on the left, banking the 1 toward the opposite side pocket. The cue ball came out from behind the 8 and left the easy runout for my opponent.

Usually after a day or so after a situation like this I can figure out a shot I could have taken, but I can't figure one out in this situation. Any ideas?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can't see link table layout, all I'm seeing is a demo table and if i click it, I go to another demo link.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this shot came up in my APA 9 ball match last night. Couldn't figure out how to embed the table diagram so I just attached a link below.

http://pool.bz/P/?@1AWJs4BRtA3DKBE4EVSD4FRDb4GREX1HQeD4IATt4PDKB@

I broke, made a ball and parked the cue ball to the center of the table. The 1 ball is over the top right pocket, but it is blocked by the 8. I can see the edge of the 1 but not enough to make it. Pushes and jumps are not allowed (even though I can't see anyone jumping here), and swerving the ball in would offer no possible position to the 2 ball. I was going to have to play a safe.

I first thought about cross banking the 1 ball up table and leaving my opponent behind the 8 or at least banking, but I didn't have enough of the ball to avoid a double kiss. Then I considered kicking off the long rail with bottom outside and parking the ball, but there was a good chance of scratching if I didn't kick it right and any look at the 1 let my opponent have it to the bottom left corner or side pocket. Finally I considered kicking to the head rail lightly to leave the cue ball behind the 8, but I couldn't hit it full enough without a lot of spin. The path was open to the bottom right pocket if I didn't get behind the 8.

After much deliberation, I ended up kicking off the head cushion with some speed in hopes to get the 1 ball down to the foot rail, but even with a ton of right spin I hit the ball too much on the left, banking the 1 toward the opposite side pocket. The cue ball came out from behind the 8 and left the easy runout for my opponent.

Usually after a day or so after a situation like this I can figure out a shot I could have taken, but I can't figure one out in this situation. Any ideas?

You don't have a world of great options here but I think kicking was the best way to go. Personally, I would have tried to do the below.

http://pool.bz/P/?@1AWJs4BRtA3DKBE4...PDKB1UWJs1Uakv2UDhP4kDKB1kPhh1kTXs4kbPo4kWKU@

My thinking here is, if I can keep the 1-ball on that end of the table and move it toward the middle of the right rail AND send the cueball near that cluster in the bottom-left corner, I have a great chance of achieving a safety.

TheSneak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't have a world of great options here but I think kicking was the best way to go. Personally, I would have tried to do the below.

http://pool.bz/P/?@1AWJs4BRtA3DKBE4...PDKB1UWJs1Uakv2UDhP4kDKB1kPhh1kTXs4kbPo4kWKU@

My thinking here is, if I can keep the 1-ball on that end of the table and move it toward the middle of the right rail AND send the cueball near that cluster in the bottom-left corner, I have a great chance of achieving a safety.

I really like this shot. I'm kind of upset I didn't consider it. Thank you!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like this shot. I'm kind of upset I didn't consider it. Thank you!

Thanks but with that said, even though it was my idea, I don't entirely *like* it. I think this way gives you a great chance to get back to the table but I could easily see it going bad too.

TheSneak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks but with that said, even though it was my idea, I don't entirely *like* it. I think this way gives you a great chance to get back to the table but I could easily see it going bad too.

Right. It's touchy because you have to get enough of the ball to kick it away from the pocket but not enough that your tangent line leaves you scratching in the bottom right corner pocket. But at least with this shot there's a chance for it to work, which is more than I can say for my other considerations.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you do that?

I am a member at poolbiz.com, I can sign in and create pool table situations, but I can't figure out how to get those graphics cut and pasted to here on AZB.

How you do that?:confused:

calj

Banned
Locate the "Print Screen" button on your computer keyboard. It is usually located to the upper right side, next to the "F12" button or just to the right of the "enter" button.

Choose what you want to capture. The "Print Screen" button captures everything visible on your screen, so load up a webpage, picture or just your desktop if that is what you want to capture.

Press the "Print Screen" button one time. Nothing will happen, but the snapshot will be posted to your clipboard.

Open a photo editing program like MS Paint. Go to "Edit" and "Paste" or press "CRTL + V" on your keyboard to paste the printed screen into the program. If you wish to save the file or make any changes, you can work on it from here.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Here's the diagram.

cuu4A.jpg

3rail: here's how you go about posting diagrams to AZB.
It looks like a lot of steps (and as far as I know there's no shorter method)
but it's pretty fast & easy once you get used to it. It's worth doing if you have an interesting situation to share.

1. Make your diagram on pool.bz website.
Once you're happy with it, press P on the keyboard. This copies the table image to your computer's internal memory.
You won't see any changes onscreen but you should hear a distinct "click" sound.**

2. Fire up MS paint - start > programs > accessories > paint.

3. Press ctrl+V on the keyboard to paste the table image. Or right click > paste.
(optional: In a more advanced image editor, you can also resize it, and I think shrinking it to 800 pixels wide is a nice touch for those who have smaller monitors)

4. Save the image somewhere, like your desktop.

5. Go to http://imgur.com and click the "computer" button at the top right. It will open your file browser so you can navigate to the image you just saved.
Afterwards, a smaller black window pops up with several options, click "Start Upload".

6. On the next screen it will show several links on the right. Look for the one under "UBBCode (message boards and forums)". Right click the link, choose copy.

7. Now make a new post here on AZB and do ctrl+V or right click > paste.
You don't see the image right away but if you preview or submit the post, the diagram will be part of it.
You can type your post above or below that image link.

**If the keyboard shortcut doesn't work, just click the wrench icon at the bottom right. A ton of icons pop out. Click the camera icon.
Sometimes it doesn't "take" on the first click so I always click it several times.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Oh, here are two ideas for your shot. I'd kind of have to get down over the ball to see what I like more. Probably the first one.

Using double the rail and a soft hit, I find I can make a pretty controlled kick on a ball this close to the rail. Even kick it right in, if I'm feeling cheeky. I would feel confident I could kick the one up to the head rail. From that point, it'd be nice if they line up so that the 8 is a blocker, but it's not essential. At worst you sell out a bank and he has to move the CB all around the table afterwards.

The second option is basically the one you considered, but decided wasn't possible without a double kiss. I find almost any double kiss can be beaten by overcutting a bit with lots of inside spin. I'd hit this one with low left. But I'd want to get down on the shot in real life before deciding I could beat this kiss and make the object ball do what I diagrammed.

You have a chance to actually make the ball doing this, but you'll probably have nothing on the 2.

CTqHC.jpg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo...That diagram is obviously inaccurate. The 1-ball is easily pocketed, where the 8 ball does not block it. Your second diagram option doesn't work, as the diagram is laid out. The CB and 1ball will double kiss. I like Jude's idea of kicking to the bottom rail first...holding the CB down there, and moving the 1 ball uptable to the other short rail.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey creedo, nice job on teaching others and myself how to upload table shots here.
:thumbup:

Question. As far as the double hit goes, wouldn't it depend on EXACT ball positioning(cleanliness etc.), cloth speed and type of hit on the CB???:grin:

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
layout.png

Also push the cue ball a bit forward(So that a clear road gets blocked by the 8 just in case) after the contact with the 1 ball, didn't figure out how to draw that =P...