View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
was eavesdropping on a a "better" player trying to help a "lesser" player
the better player was trying to explain to the lesser player if you need some "extra" english you can turn the cue "at contact "and turn the cue ball more
ive seen discussed before the concept of hitting off center thru the ball more or less parralel to the center ball contact line
vs
the cue angling away from the ball towards the side of the applied english
the "better "player beleived that if you stroke staigtht and "during the time of compression of the tip on the cue ball"you tuned the shaft or stroke line in the direction of the desired english you could get more english this way

what do you guys think of this and is there a link to prove it??

is it possible in the short amount of time the cue tip is in contact with the object ball
that there is time to "play with what happens during that time span?

just curious
So far as I know, no one has ever demonstrated that you can get more side spin by swooping. I think it is just a different -- and to me, a far less consistent -- way to do backhand english. Look at the players who really spin the cue ball, like Massey, Sayginer and Trump. No goofy swooping.

Some players fear hitting off-center because of miscues. They barely spin the ball because their arms force them to hit near the center. If someone shows them this "new swoop-spin" technique to get side spin, they may actually rev up the ball for the first time in their lives. They will be true believers. They will also be layering on a mechanical monstrosity to fix a deeper problem in their mechanics.

Even though the tip is on the ball for only a very short time, it does not follow directly that the player could not possibly and under any circumstance affect the result of the shot by swooping the cue stick. Swoop can in fact be useful for shots when the cue ball is very close to the object ball; you swoop to avoid the second hit. However, think about how fast the tip will need to move to the side to have any significant effect. It should be moving to the side at a speed comparable to the forward motion of the cue stick. That's a 45-degee angle relative to straight ahead. Try very slow strokes in which the tip moves at a 45 relative to its normal path. I bet you can't.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy