2015 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Dr Dave. I apologize for thinking you couldn't play a couple of years ago. I'm happy I was proven otherwise:)

Nick.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Victorl,

Also many thanks for the thread! There are a few links of the player's [other] scores that go to one of my videos. I suspect a copy/paste error.

Best,
Nick.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the members who have posted videos, what types of pressures/emotions do you feel?

I usually start the set feeling good, and if the set goes really bad, I start feeling sad. I feel I'm disappointing the forum by not putting up a good run.

Also, the sets I play can set my mood for the rest of the day. When I get a good ghost score (for me) I am feeling pretty good the rest of the day. When I get a really bad ghost score, I feel like crap. Even the girlfriend noticed the differences.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Dr Dave. I apologize for thinking you couldn't play a couple of years ago. I'm happy I was proven otherwise:)
Thanks Nick; but in your defense (;)), I have improved my game quite a bit the last 2-3 years.

Catch you later,
Dave

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave, in your 7-2 video, you had a shot you overhit, and you were heard on the mic saying something like "stop-stop-stop". (I'm going from memory). It was a 2 rail out of the corner to short of center table and the CB went very much further on the correct line.

I had this same shot a few times, and did the same thing. I think there is something deceiving about that particular angle and spin that makes the CB fly out of the corner.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the members who have posted videos, what types of pressures/emotions do you feel?

I usually start the set feeling good, and if the set goes really bad, I start feeling sad. I feel I'm disappointing the forum by not putting up a good run.

Also, the sets I play can set my mood for the rest of the day. When I get a good ghost score (for me) I am feeling pretty good the rest of the day. When I get a really bad ghost score, I feel like crap. Even the girlfriend noticed the differences.
I definitely feel a little nervous with the pressure of the camera, knowing the video will be posted on the Internet for all to see for all eternity, but I think the nerves and pressure usually help me play better.

Like you, when I have a bad set, it gets me down and I tend to beat myself up the rest of the day. But a good set can feel pretty good and does a lot for my confidence the next time I play (e.g., on league night).

I look forward to seeing a video of you beating the ghost. I'm sure it will happen soon.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave, in your 7-2 video, you had a shot you overhit, and you were heard on the mic saying something like "stop-stop-stop". (I'm going from memory). It was a 2 rail out of the corner to short of center table and the CB went very much further on the correct line.

I had this same shot a few times, and did the same thing. I think there is something deceiving about that particular angle and spin that makes the CB fly out of the corner.
That particular shot was also coming across the line of the next shot, which reduces the margin for error in speed considerably. Regardless, I used way too much speed on that shot. I knew it as soon as I hit it, but I was still hoping that talking to the ball would slow it down (funny how that never works, but we do it anyway).

Sometimes, with shots like that, I underestimate the effect of the running english (especially on tables that are fast or where the sidespin really "bites" on the cushions).

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Colin! That means a lot to me coming from you.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave,

I think it helps a lot when a player starts at a young age, but I've seen in pool and university what effort and intelligence can achieve.

Not expecting Jayson Shaw or Chris Melling like shots soon, but I would never write it off. Confidence is king in this game, once the fundamentals start falling into place.

Cheers,
Colin

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Also many thanks for the thread! There are a few links of the player's [other] scores that go to one of my videos. I suspect a copy/paste error.

Nick, any idea which links are wrong, I tried to find them but couldn't. The OP is getting full of links so it's hard to keep track.

I know where you're coming from with that. Personally, I'd like to post more to keep the thread going, but I don't get much chance to film, so when I do, the pressure's on to put together a good run in the hour or two that I have. It gets pretty frustrating when I'm not on my game, but I just try to take it in stride and look forward to the next session.
I do get motivated from seeing everyone's runs, even the ones where people are struggling and still battle through to the end, because for me the temptation to give up and start again is really strong.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be disappointed if you didn't put up a good run, so no worries. This thread isn't going anywhere, so just have fun practicing and post up whenever you're ready.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. FYI, there is a typo (missing open bracket) in the 7-2W video link in the OP.

Thanks again for your effort in this thread,
Dave
Please fix my 7-2W link when you get a chance. You just need to edit the OP and add an "[" before the "URL."

Here is the correction:
([URL="http://youtu.be/_Gxf0NjR9gc"]7-2W[/URL])

And this is what the corrected line should look like after it is fixed:

7-1 W (88%), dr_dave, 01/09/15, 8' Connelly, 4.75", video, post (7-2W)

Thanks again for your efforts,
Dave

Last edited:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I refuse to participate in this any longer. You have turned me into a mindless table running,,,non emotional ball making zombie. That wants it all on film.
One that cant get past 5-7.

Zombie-5,,Ghost 7,,,,,,it's scary I tell you!

Ok! Maybe a few more attempts.

Joe T

I played the American rotation ghost for the first time last night and lost the very first set 15-105! :banghead: I played six sets total and scored in the 50s three times. The best I could muster last night was this one...

55-105L https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppX-Wglt4FM
Same table. 9' Diamond, 4.5" pockets.

I feel your pain lol I lost about 10x before beating that sucka (that's right Gerry ;)
You had some good spreads but might make it a little better with a tight rack and taking a little speed off the break?

Off topic and I don't think I've ever got this impression before which is very strange? While watching the video I felt that you and I think and play a lot alike? Tough to explain why but it was a funny feeling I got and don't ever recall having it before. I know we have the frustrated head hanging part down cold lol

Good shooting and its well within your grasp.You may never want to play the 9 or 10B ghost again lol

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Please fix my 7-2W link when you get a chance. You just need to edit the OP and add an "[" before the "URL."

I played the American rotation ghost for the first time last night and lost the very first set 15-105! :banghead: I played six sets total and scored in the 50s three times. The best I could muster last night was this one...

55-105L https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppX-Wglt4FM
Same table. 9' Diamond, 4.5" pockets.

OP updated, thanks!

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol - nice. What was the score? I am chasing now?

I feel your pain lol I lost about 10x before beating that sucka (that's right Gerry ;)
You had some good spreads but might make it a little better with a tight rack and taking a little speed off the break?

Off topic and I don't think I've ever got this impression before which is very strange? While watching the video I felt that you and I think and play a lot alike? Tough to explain why but it was a funny feeling I got and don't ever recall having it before. I know we have the frustrated head hanging part down cold lol

Good shooting and its well within your grasp.You may never want to play the 9 or 10B ghost again lol

Joe T

Lol - nice. What was the score? I am chasing now?

I feel like I have a lot to apologize for with this video lol
I haven't been in pool and especially video mode for a while.
I apologize for throwing the camera up on a bad angle
Room looks messy
I was watching TED tv (who knew ted would promote good pool) and had to take some moments between racks to scroll.
Got away with a few shots but in general, staying in line is boring pool.
I didn't and don't have time to to edit but will do in the future, yea right
And I think I miss counted the score of 100-60?
Most of all I apologize to Gerry's family and coworkers because he's going away next week to play in the American Rotation Finals and he's only going to have the next 7 days to beat the Steak out of me so he may be a little mia ;)
Video is unlisted (not my most professional appearance ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZDFynHx-oU

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Victor,

I went thought all the links and put a box around the ones that went to the wrong place. It might be more hassle than its worth linking to the person's post... I don't know, only you know how much hassle it is or is not:)

Thanks,
Nick

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.04.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.12.54 PM.jpg