Influences

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Ginky,
As with all the pro's, most of us are VERY interested in how they came to become so proficient at pool. What age they started, who were their teacher's, which players do they admire, what are their favorite games, and how did they get so darned good?

Any insights on the above, or on why NYC has so many kick-ass straight pool players?

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for why NYC has so many great straight pool players, I can think of a couple of reasons. One, the game is still popular in NY, so it's easy to find a game. Here in SC they don't even know what straight pool is. Tonight in fact I played straight pool with a guy from Baltimore, and several people came by and asked what we were playing. These were regulars. They had never even seen a straight pool game!

A second reason for the NYC area producing many exceptional straight pool players is it was so easy to see top flight straight pool played. For example, back in the late 80's and early 90's, you could walk into Chelsea Billiards and watch George Mikula nearly every afternoon run 100 balls two or three times, even 200 was not uncommon. A little later in the day, Johnny Ervolino would stroll in and slip-stroke his way to 100 ball runs. In addition to those guys, there were plenty of shortstops who would regularly put up 100 ball runs. As well as countless guys who routinely hit 50 or more.

So in NYC we got to see a lot of really fine straight pool, see how those guys would pattern balls and take care of trouble situations. And we'd talk straight pool a lot. When I play now, I still hear Ervolino's scratchy voice telling me for the hundredth time, "It's an easier game if you keep your last few balls above the break ball." And the vision of George's three ball diamond pattern for getting on the breakball. I saw him do it so many times it's burned into my consciousness.

I spent most of my time in Manhattan pool rooms, but Queens had Gene Nagy and Danny Barooti (sp?), Brooklyn had Tony Robles and a bunch more I've forgotten, and just across the river in Elizabeth, NJ you had West End Billiards where on any given night you might see Mizerak, Hopkins, Colavita, Ray Martin, Neptune Joe, Harvey Martin and so on.

With all those great players to learn from, the NYC area, therefore, has a long history as the Ph.D factory of straight pool.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Ginky,
As with all the pro's, most of us are VERY interested in how they came to become so proficient at pool. What age they started, who were their teacher's, which players do they admire, what are their favorite games, and how did they get so darned good?

Any insights on the above, or on why NYC has so many kick-ass straight pool players?
i started at age 19 and i only had a couple of teachers, george makula, paul schnider.. those were the only 2. i became proficient because of all the hard work and time i put into it. i admire alex pagulyan. obviously my favorite game is 9ball and then straight pool but i play everything. does that pretty much sum it up?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I myself have started late,a couple years ago at around 24 years of age,i keep thinking that i have started too late to ever get to an A player level but who knows,some people have more natural talent then others.I just wish i couldve started earlier like 12 or so,lol,who knows how good i would be.:)

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
Cameron Smith said:
I find that very encouraging as I started only a year and half later than that. Maybe there is some hope for me.:)

theres always hope for anyone who has the dicipline and the determination of making it to the top.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
I myself have started late,a couple years ago at around 24 years of age,i keep thinking that i have started too late to ever get to an A player level but who knows,some people have more natural talent then others.I just wish i couldve started earlier like 12 or so,lol,who knows how good i would be.:)
i dont think the age matters... again you need dicipline talent and determination

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
ginky said:
i dont think the age matters... again you need dicipline talent and determination
Your definately right,some people who have played for 35 years are just consistent c players,some people just take to it more naturally.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Your definately right,some people who have played for 35 years are just consistent c players,some people just take to it more naturally.

I can tell you all, after observing the transformation personally, Ginky worked hard. He came with plenty of natural ability, no doubt, but after working with George and Paul, and lots of practice on his own, Ginky went from beginner to a top level player in little more than a year. I've never seen anyone progress so quickly.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
thanks ted. i did work hard, it took alot of discipline. i spent days and weeks in the chelsea with out any sleep.. because i was determined to be the best at what i do. To myself, when i first started, i was never content with less than number one.